My First Build!

PCPartPicker

PCPartPicker (after changes from this thread)

1. Budget & Location
USD. My max budget is ~$1200 but I would like to go lower than that if possible. If compromises have to be made to put it at $1000-$1100, so be it.

2. Aim
This will be a gaming machine. The goal is to run games at 1080p, 60fps, max settings. I also want to be able to have the computer be upgradeable for the future. Adding another graphics card is what I am thinking of doing sometime in the future. Also, I do not plan on Overclocking.

I will not compromise the current monitor or case I have on the parts list. They are what I want. I also want an SSD but it doesn't really matter what size (going to be used as a boot drive)

3. Monitors
1080p @ 60hz. 1 monitor at the start. Needs to be included in the pricetag.

4. Peripherals
Windows 8.1 needs to be included (getting for $20 at the subreddit /r/microsoftsoftwareswap). Other peripherals not needed.

5. Why are you upgrading?
I have a laptop but I want a fast computer to be able to run games very well. I have until this summer to build my computer but planning takes a while.

Thank you everyone for your help!

My Current PC: PCPartPicker I built this August of 2019. I'm loving AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen.

Never was a fan of Fractal cases. Too bland for my liking.

However, i really like the xeon pickup over a traditional i5, someone put some thought into this build, you've got my props sir.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Never was a fan of Fractal cases. Too bland for my liking.

However, i really like the xeon pickup over a traditional i5, someone put some thought into this build, you've got my props sir.

I have been working on this build over the past month or so pretty diligently. I am putting a lot of care and thought into this. I normally make impulse buys when I buy things but not this time. (This is also because I am a poor college student and will have no money till this summer :P)

I like the more minimalist look.

My Current PC: PCPartPicker I built this August of 2019. I'm loving AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen.

I have been working on this build over the past month or so pretty diligently. I am putting a lot of care and thought into this. I normally make impulse buys when I buy things but not this time. (This is also because I am a poor college student and will have no money till this summer :P)

I like the more minimalist look.

But of course, not to mention their legendary build quality. Makes an excellent buy for those that like simpler cases. 

And i hear you on buying on impulse, kinda wish i coulda swapped my crummy corsair fans for something quieter. Though, foolish me, thought since corsair makes great keyboards and cases, that their fans would be quiet too xD.

Anyway, serious thumbs up on the parts list. I don't see anything wrong or in need of change really. You might consider being shallow like myself and picking up some ultra silent fans to go with the build, but other than that i can't think of anything that can improve your build :3

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Anyway, serious thumbs up on the parts list. I don't see anything wrong or in need of change really. You might consider being shallow like myself and picking up some ultra silent fans to go with the build, but other than that i can't think of anything that can improve your build :3

Is there anything I can cut back on to lower the cost? I know I am buying the monitor too so this is basically a $1000 build but I want to keep the overall price lower than what it is.

Is there anything I can cut back on to lower the cost? I know I am buying the monitor too so this is basically a $1000 build but I want to keep the overall price lower than what it is.

if you go amd you can get a 290x for cheaper. if not get a cheaper psu, ill get a link for one, standby, o wait were you going to sli? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153205

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182323

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153199

in no order.

But of course, not to mention their legendary build quality. Makes an excellent buy for those that like simpler cases. 

I watched Linus' video on the case that I chose and fell in love. I knew I wanted a more minimalist case and with help of someone from the Case and PSU thread on this forum, I made my choice.

PCPartPicker

PCPartPicker (after changes from this thread)

1. Budget & Location

USD. My max budget is ~$1200 but I would like to go lower than that if possible. If compromises have to be made to put it at $1000-$1100, so be it.

2. Aim

This will be a gaming machine. The goal is to run games at 1080p, 60fps, max settings. I also want to be able to have the computer be upgradeable for the future. Adding another graphics card is what I am thinking of doing sometime in the future. Also, I do not plan on Overclocking.

I will not compromise the current monitor or case I have on the parts list. They are what I want. I also want an SSD but it doesn't really matter what size (going to be used as a boot drive)

3. Monitors

1080p @ 60hz. 1 monitor at the start. Needs to be included in the pricetag.

4. Peripherals

Windows 8.1 needs to be included (getting for $20 at the subreddit /r/microsoftsoftwareswap). Other peripherals not needed.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I have a laptop but I want a fast computer to be able to run games very well. I have until this summer to build my computer but planning takes a while.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Fixed your PSU, mobo and SSD

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Thermal Compound: Innovation Cooling Diamond "7 Carat" 1.5g Thermal Paste  ($5.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: *ViewSonic VA2349S 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Windows 8.1 ($20.00)
Total: $1159.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 01:13 EDT-0400

if you go amd you can get a 290x for cheaper. if not get a cheaper psu, ill get a link for one, standby, o wait were you going to sli? 

Yeah I was planning on SLI in the future. I don't know if I should go for 750w or 850w.

Yeah I was planning on SLI in the future. I don't know if I should go for 750w or 850w.

for a 970 i think you might be able to get by with 650. i edited my post above with some cheaper psu, all should be modular and most should be 700 watts or above. 

After a quick google, it looks like I should be okay with a 650w but I'm going to get a 750w to be safe. Change reflected in "With Edits" build.

if you go amd you can get a 290x for cheaper.

Is getting a 290x worth it compared to a 970?

I done some googling and I remember from when I posted my 4K build (figured out I didn't want to know how much it costs) that 290Xs work better at 4k. So if I'm going to go for a build for the future, I should probably get the 290x.

Is getting a 290x worth it compared to a 970?

i have a 970 so there is a good chance im biased just based on what i bought. the 290x and 970 trade places with each other a 1080p with the 970 winning by a small margin on more games, at higher than 1080p they switch and the 290x is on top by small margin. 290x can be a hot and loud card so picking the right card manufacturer can mean the difference between something you love and hate, the 970 comparably is a much cooler card and there for is easier to keep quite and most 970 will give you a decent to good experience. i can still hear my 970 g1 at fan speed of 60% and above i sit 3 feet away from my case, it doesn't bother me and i only seem to get any coil whine when i fold at home,could be from the psu, not sure doesn't bother me as i'm not there when i fold most the time. its a very personal thing picking a gpu and what is tolerable to you.  

I think I'm going to go with the 970. I'm probably better of with it. The cards are pretty much the same and the price point doesn't really matter too much if the 290x cards run hot. I can always make this change later if I change my mind. I have some decent amount of time still to decide.