Microsoft working on lightweight OS version for visualization deployments (Hint: not unlike Linux)

Misanthrope

Microsoft working on lightweight OS version for visualization deployments

Cloud-Server-Hosting.jpg

So this is interesting development, they seem to be working on a windows version stripped of most things specially developed for virtualization environments:

In the fall, Microsoft announced that it would add Linux-like container technology to a future version of Windows. Today, the company revealed that it’s also developing a super-slim version of Windows that will run what it describes as a new kind of container—one that provides an added level of security. The OS is called Windows Server Nano.

Honestly that's a rather good idea seeing how parallelization is in my opinion kinda needed now that we might hit a bit of a speed bump in processor technology with intel already abandoning 7nm for something else. Some more details:

According to Microsoft spokesman Mike Schutz, the company is building a way of wrapping containers in its Hyper-V “virtualization” technology, so that they’re completely isolated from each other. But the real news seems to be that Microsoft will offer a stripped-down operating system along the lines of CoreOS, a Linux operating system that’s particularly suited to running containers across a large number of computers. This kind of operating system represents the future of online services, which necessarily run on hundreds or even thousands of machines—or what industry marketers like to call the cloud.

I for once, can't find a single thing I would object to from this and most of you know how cynical I am about MS but this truly makes me think Nadella might just be able to right the ship.

Sauce: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/super-slim-windows-microsoft-eyes-future-cloud-computing/?mbid=social_fb

-------

Current Rig

-------

Everybody wants to be Linux.

Unless they make it free I don't think it will compete, right? Or are the Linux counterparts not free?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I more or less think this will be an OS that comes pre-installed on simple stuff like tablets, and if it were to be sold separately  it would be less than $50.

Hopefully it doesn't strip down too much...

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Im'a add to this, just a few numbers I saw:

Big users of server will probably be happy to see a new product available from Microsoft which is super lightweight, because this means they can run more processes and get more done on the same hardware. Specific improvements are:
93 percent lower VHD size
92 percent fewer critical bulletins
80 percent fewer reboots

Seems interesting, but they're just trying to compete with Linux

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Those numbers are a bit out of context. Those are compared to Windows Server, which will obviously have more overhead. It would be interesting to see how it compares to Linux counterparts, but we probably won't see that until it is officially released. 

until they run everything in an unnecessary overly complicated CLI, they have nothing on GNU+linux  ;)

OT:

They already have Windows Core server which I have found runs great on older hardware, at my work we have heaps of servers at separate stations that run dino-aged hardware and can still run multiple services with ease and still have plenty of hardware resources available (like DFS replication/print server/DNS/etc).

Although this will be pretty cool, a bit of an odd move considering they are trying to push Azure though  :huh:

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

What's Linux's call support number?

Don't think there's one for Linux in general. Here's the one for Redhat:

888-467-3342

If you went with Ubuntu, here you have Canonical's:

Main switchboard number: +44 20 7630 2400

-------

Current Rig

-------

It'll probably be free, but the deployment in Azure not so free.

Seems like a good idea from MS to "help" keep people into Windows while also monetizing it through virtualization services.

Very VERY interessted to see what is going down with this. The company were I work is a .NET Development company so yeah we exclusivly run Windows servers and the figures that @Kherm is posting sound so freaking awesome.

Keeping an eye on this one

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

Cool, haven't read the article yet but do you guys think you could run this on a raspberry or would it still be to heavy? Could make for an awesome mini windows server for at home. 

Cool, haven't read the article yet but do you guys think you could run this on a raspberry or would it still be to heavy? Could make for an awesome mini windows server for at home. 

Unless they port it for ARM (unlikely, given the intended use case), no, you wont be able to.

I more or less think this will be an OS that comes pre-installed on simple stuff like tablets, and if it were to be sold separately  it would be less than $50.

Hopefully it doesn't strip down too much...

This is a server OS. It will be used to simplify and add security to virtualisation servers. You will not see this on a tablet.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Might be good who knows if its not free or low cost its pointless go to linux.

I want a similar version for gaming xD,all the crapware stripped down.

Yeah they are trying to compete with linux by stripping down their OS, instead of actually improving it...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

What's Linux's call support number?

That's like saying "where can i call to get help on my keyboard". I don't know, where you got it from? There are linux distributions that offer support, unless you think asking Linus Torvalds is a good idea :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

We already have Windows Embedded Compact, why create something else? I guess this will be based on CE anyway, NT will never be lightweight.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You can get Windows 10 for the Pi 2 for free.

Unless its free it wont be economical over linux.

Linux isn't free as in beer in the business environment anyway. For example, the only way to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux is you must by a support contract with it, which cost a lot of money.

Also Linux sys admins ($89,000 avg.) cost more than Windows sys admins ($77,000 avg.) http://www.indeed.com/salary/Linux-Administrator.html- http://www.indeed.com/salary/Windows-System-Administrator.html

Studies have shown that the total cost of ownership for Linux in the business environment is either the same as or more than Windows.

We already have Windows Embedded Compact, why create something else? I guess this will be based on CE anyway, NT will never be lightweight.

Windows Nano Server is based on NT. Its just a further stripped down version of Windows Server Core.

Nano Server will allow customers to install just the components they require and nothing more. The initial results are promising.  Based on the current builds, compared to Server, Nano Server has:

• 93 percent lower VHD size
  • 92 percent fewer critical bulletins
  • 80 percent fewer reboots

To achieve these benefits, we removed the GUI stack, 32 bit support (WOW64), MSI and a number of default Server Core components. There is no local logon or Remote Desktop support. All management is performed remotely via WMI and PowerShell. We are also adding Windows Server Roles and Features using Features on Demand and DISM. We are improving remote manageability via PowerShell with Desired State Configuration as well as remote file transfer, remote script authoring and remote debugging.  We are working on a set of new Web-based management tools to replace local inbox management tools.

Because Nano Server is a refactored version of Windows Server it will be API-compatible with other versions of Windows Server within the subset of components it includes. Visual Studio is fully supported with Nano Server, including remote debugging functionality and notifications when APIs reference unsupported Nano Server components.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2015/04/08/microsoft-announces-nano-server-for-modern-apps-and-cloud.aspx

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Linux isn't free as in beer in the business environment anyway. For example, the only way to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux is you must by a support contract with it, which cost a lot of money.

Also Linux sys admins ($89,000 avg.) cost more than Windows sys admins ($77,000 avg.) http://www.indeed.com/salary/Linux-Administrator.html- http://www.indeed.com/salary/Windows-System-Administrator.html

Studies have shown that the total cost of ownership for Linux in the business environment is either the same as or more than Windows.

Windows Nano Server is based on NT. Its just a further stripped down version of Windows Server Core.

Well linux people cost more since they are scarce,also red hat is a different thing,but one can brew a own distro.

Well linux people cost more since they are scarce,also red hat is a different thing,but one can brew a own distro.

You could, but that would be the equivalent of getting detailed blue prints to try and build your own car: Yes you could do it but likely is more cost effective to pay redhat. It depends on your case use of course, a small to medium office would be ok but a huge cluster of severs on Linux? Well the word clusterfuck was never more appropriate.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You could, but that would be the equivalent of getting detailed blue prints to try and build your own car: Yes you could do it but likely is more cost effective to pay redhat. It depends on your case use of course, a small to medium office would be ok but a huge cluster of severs on Linux? Well the word clusterfuck was never more appropriate.

Lol.