Does different thermal paste make a huge difference with temps of a CPU

I recently RMA'd my h80I because the pump failed. When my new one came i decided to use the pre-applied thermal paste instead of removing it and applying my artic silver 5 (as I previously did on my old one). I noticed my CPU was 140 degrees fahrenheit as before with my arctic silver (before my pump died on my old one) it was about 100 degrees fahrenheit. Could the different thermal paste make that much of a difference or is this another bad cooler?

I would test the thermal paste before doing another RMA, but it is very possible.

My general rule of thumb is if the pre-applied paste boots the pc and isn't like 60+ C idle it's probably just the paste.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

good paste application makes a huge difference but thermal paste makes 8c difference between best and the worst from my testing

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Should also note that when I was putting the waterblock on my CPU it was misaligned so I picked it up and put it back correctly. When I picked it up it left some thermal paste which I figured was OK.

Yea thats fine.. If there is that much of a difference then it's probably a bad mount.. But can't hurt to change the paste either, as said, it will make a difference but so long as it's decent it should be minimal.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I would test the thermal paste before doing another RMA, but it is very possible.

My general rule of thumb is if the pre-applied paste boots the pc and isn't like 60+ C idle it's probably just the paste.

good paste application makes a huge difference but thermal paste makes 8c difference between best and the worst from my testing

Yea thats fine.. If there is that much of a difference then it's probably a bad mount.. But can't hurt to change the paste either, as said, it will make a difference but so long as it's decent it should be minimal.

OK, I'm about to apply the Arctic Silver 5. Size of a grain of rice, correct?

OK, I'm about to apply the Arctic Silver 5. Size of a grain of rice, correct?

Don't, watch this video about thermal paste application. It's JayzTwoCentz

I use a modified X version. 

I'm an IB student.... please send help, I can't escape!

Don't, watch this video about thermal paste application. It's JayzTwoCentz

Just watched the video. Are you sure i should do the X? Linus always does the grain of rice method. I also saw a Tek Syndicate video and he said I should do the pea method which is the same as a grain of rice.

The temp difference may not be too large between the different versions, I am not sure. But the grain of rice method uses less thermal paste so a company like LMG would most likely make the version that conserves expensive thermal paste their standard. 

The temp difference may not be too large between the different versions, I am not sure. But the grain of rice method uses less thermal paste so a company like LMG would most likely make the version that conserves expensive thermal paste their standard. 

This is the video I watched and he also said to the the rice method

Jay also used crap thermal paste which could affect it. 

It is probably one of those things that can be debated on forever, but I use the X because it covers more of the CPU, and coverage is (mostly) everything with cooling. 

It is probably one of those things that can be debated on forever, but I use the X because it covers more of the CPU, and coverage is (mostly) everything with cooling. 

OK, thanks. I'm just gonna use the rice method because its what most people taught me and I'm scared of trying something different.

This is the video I watched and he also said to the the rice method

Jay also used crap thermal paste which could affect it. 

This is a way more accurate and better guide. 

just kidding of course. But a grain of rice or pea size is safe. 

junker build in the making