# of pins in SAMSUNG cables (problem)

i recently got a samsung galaxy note 4 and tab s. however, when i was charging the devices, using the new included cable, it seemed to be a bit slow. upon examing the number of pins on the end of the cable which plugs into the phone, i noticed that there are only 4 pins. there were also 4 pins on the 2nd new cable. but when i compared it to the cable of my old phone (galaxy s3), i noticed that there were 5 pins, and the charging speed was seemingly faster.

the question is, is 4 pins standard, or is there supposed to be 5 pins and both cables from the note 4 and tab s were defective

thanks. 

did you mean the micro usb?

some cables may only support up to 0.5A

while other support 1A from the USB

USB 3.0 supports up to 2.1A but it will be the fatter cable

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i recently got a samsung galaxy note 4 and tab s. however, when i was charging the devices, using the new included cable, it seemed to be a bit slow. upon examing the number of pins on the end of the cable which plugs into the phone, i noticed that there are only 4 pins. there were also 4 pins on the 2nd new cable. but when i compared it to the cable of my old phone (galaxy s3), i noticed that there were 5 pins, and the charging speed was seemingly faster.

the question is, is 4 pins standard, or is there supposed to be 5 pins and both cables from the note 4 and tab s were defective

thanks. 

I would expect that it would charge slower, it has a bigger battery than a S3 does.

My Tab S has 4 pins, so it isn't defective.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

yes the micro usb one

so heres the thing,

im using the adaptive fast charge unit that came with the phone. but i tried using both cables (4 pin and 5 pin one)

(adaptive fast charge says output: 1.67A or 2A)

would it/should it make a difference if i use a 4/5 pin cable? 

I would expect that it would charge slower, it has a bigger battery than a S3 does.

My Tab S has 4 pins, so it isn't defective.

i meant slower as in when charging the note 4, i tried both the cables with 4 and 5 pins.

so when using the cable with 4 pins, it was seemingly slower, than when i used the cable with 5 pins, but both used to charge the note 4