How to test PSU for DOA?

Wirbelfeld
Go to solution Solved by LarsReviews,

google PSU pin layout, count the pins, and connect a fan to a molex plug. Then shorten the right pins and you are done. 

atx-psu-pinouts.gif

I recently bought a seasonic PSU and want to test if it is DOA. I know the shorting trick but none of my cables are green and are all black. I am not sure if it is my mobo or PSU. Any help would be appriciated

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

google PSU pin layout, count the pins, and connect a fan to a molex plug. Then shorten the right pins and you are done. 

atx-psu-pinouts.gif

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Get a metal paper clip, shove one end on the green wire of the 24pin connector (as shown on the pictures the guys posted), the other end goes in any of the black wires. Plug it to the wall and see it start (or not if DOA).

Something like plugging a fan will tell you if it's on or off (if you have a 0dbA PSU)

Why do you think it's DOA ??

Or even want to test it for DOA ?? 

Can't you just plug it into your system ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Why do you think it's DOA ??

Or even want to test it for DOA ?? 

Can't you just plug it into your system ?

It is a comlpetely new system

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

It is a comlpetely new system

I see but what about my other questions ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I see but what about my other questions ??

I completely fucked up nevermind. I forgot to plug half the Mobo connector into the psu. I am a really special kind of stupid. . . 

I completely fucked up nevermind. I forgot to plug half the Mobo connector into the psu. I am a really special kind of stupid. . . 

So how is your system now ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

So how is your system now ??

It is working great. I built it for my girlfriend

I pretty much copied my own build but got a smaller mobo and cheaper case.

It is working great. I built it for my girlfriend

I pretty much copied my own build but got a smaller mobo and cheaper case.

Nice, hope she likes it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ