Got into some trouble with new rig. Trying to clean up.

SocomSuade
Go to solution Solved by mike2156,

Try Manually running stuff like Mbam, some programs detect issues with the install and either repair them automatically or prompt you to repair them, however you will find a few programs that will just simply not run and will have to be deleted.

The subject of moving libraries to a different drive is a good one, I personally do it as my first SSD was a 60gig and my mech is a 1tb, however i do the it cheaty way and completely change the location of the folders.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm

Long story short I messed up trying to make everything default to my Hard Drive instead of my SSD (is this possible and worth it?) and had to do a system restore.

To my dismay I see the restore point I set only restored my C: drive (my SSD)

So now I have things still on my HD that I want to either remove or reinstall. Example Malware bytes is on HD but no desktop icon.

Should I attempt manually uninstalling or just overwrite it with a new install?

Also is it possible to set system restore on both drives?

The best course of action would be a clean install. I assume you messed around with the dragon that is the registry? :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Try Manually running stuff like Mbam, some programs detect issues with the install and either repair them automatically or prompt you to repair them, however you will find a few programs that will just simply not run and will have to be deleted.

The subject of moving libraries to a different drive is a good one, I personally do it as my first SSD was a 60gig and my mech is a 1tb, however i do the it cheaty way and completely change the location of the folders.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm

The best course of action would be a clean install. I assume you messed around with the dragon that is the registry? :P

Although yes, that's by far the best option to start off with, then once you have a fresh copy of Windows and have removed all of the software from the hard drive follow the instructions in the thread i linked.

You can try to go to to your uninstall and remove them that way,myself I would rather go the route of doing fresh install of everything at least this way you know they have been removed for good with no traces left behind plus you have a nice fresh clean install of everything..

The way I look at it is it is sometimes easier and faster to do fresh install verses trying to figure out a problem that may come back and not be fixed,I know it can sometimes be a pain in the butt especially when it comes to installing the Window updates which take the longest to install..

What I did was change the paths. Went to all the folders in C: (my SSD) properties, location and just changed the paths to my Hard Drive.

I assumed that's right and I will read the link posted to verify.

I may have accidentally done something else idk.

Malware bytes had an uninstall in the folder so I did and reinstalled. However another one (bit defender) did not have an uninstall so I just deleted the entire folder and reinstalled.

There's a few other unwanted items and maybe a fresh install of windows is best. I'm not having any major issues now just some unwanted items in my hard drive.

What I did was change the paths. Went to all the folders in C: (my SSD) properties, location and just changed the paths to my Hard Drive.

I assumed that's right and I will read the link posted to verify.

I may have accidentally done something else idk.

Malware bytes had an uninstall in the folder so I did and reinstalled. However another one (bit defender) did not have an uninstall so I just deleted the entire folder and reinstalled.

There's a few other unwanted items and maybe a fresh install of windows is best. I'm not having any major issues now just some unwanted items in my hard drive.

Yeah the problem with uninstalling a program is sometime uninstalling them sometimes does not get rid of everything and would leave traces of left over programs.I always hated things that I wanted to uninstall it would still leave traces of the program I did not want..

There is a program I been using other then the window uninstall it is a program called Revo Uninstaller Pro I find this software to be a lot better then the Windows uninstaller..It is not free but there is a 30 day trial of it if you want to try it out..

Ok thanks I'll check it out. I may do a clean reinstall, need to think about it.

Is there a way to set up a restore point for both drives?

I don't think so as I believe it only does a snapshot of the windows partition, however I may be wrong. Never come across it though.

Ok thanks guys. All great replies but I could solve with only one :P

Let us know how you make out once you do a fresh install.

Now as to making a backup I think there is a setting in the windows backup software that lets you choose what you want to save,I know I have only done my main drive being it be the C Drives so I not 100% sure about saving data from another partition drive..