$150 fully modular psu

Snake21
Go to solution Solved by quan289,

OK, so I think I want room for a sli in the near future, quan dynaquest will be the store I'm buying the PSU, seasonic x 750w and corsair rm850w are about same price,so even if the rm is a bit newer seasonic is much better?

The Seasonic X 750w KM3 is 6450 PHP / 145 USD.

The Corsair RM750 is 5850 PHP / ~130 USD.

The Seasonic X simply a better build, better performing unit (electrically). It too have "zero-RPM" mode, where the fan does not spin up at lower loads. It's also has a switch that you can turn on and off this mode. It's great feature as you can ensure that the fan is actually working. The Corsair RM750 is a little quieter than the Seasonic X though. But unless you are very sensitive to noises, spending $15 more for a higher quality unit is indeed worth it.

If by some chance that you decide to get the RM series, try calling Dynaquest and see if they can verified the serial number. If the first four numbers is 1438xxxxx or higher, it should mean that you have the updated revision with the higher quality NCC capacitors. Try to aim for that.

Is corsair rm850 a good buy? Any other suggestion on a fully modular PSU at $150 budget.

EVGA G2 all the way

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Cooler Master's V series is also a good choice.

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro // CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.2GHz // GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Reference // RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1333MHz // MOBOASUS P8Z77-V LK // SPACE: 240GB Crucial M500 SSD ~ WD Black 1TB // PSU: Corsair CX750M //

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 130 // CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.0GHz // GPU: N/A // RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @1600MHz // MOBOEVGA Z87 Stinger Mini-ITX // SPACE: OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD ~ [2X WD Black 2TB in RAID 1] // PSU: EVGA 430W //

What are you powering and can you provide a link to the store you are buying from?

$150 USD can get you quite a few excellent options; however, if you are not from the US, our recommendation may be pointless due to pricing and availability of other countries.

Absolutely not. RM series power supplies aren't very good, sure they're reliable but so is just about every decent power supply on the market nowadays. I'd suggest an EVGA, Seasonic, or pretty much any other reputable brand. Just not Corsair RM. Hell, you can go with a cx or cxm series 

Absolutely not. RM series power supplies aren't very good, sure they're reliable but so is just about every decent power supply on the market nowadays. I'd suggest an EVGA, Seasonic, or pretty much any other reputable brand. Just not Corsair RM. Hell, you can go with a cx or cxm series 

If he should not get the RM series because they "aren't really good", then he shouldn't get the CX/CXM series either, as they are worse then the RM series.

If he should not get the RM series because they "aren't really good", then he shouldn't get the CX/CXM series either, as they are worse then the RM series.

not necessarily, Corsair tried to put a really high price tag on something that already worked with their cx/cxm line of power supplies. Pretty much the only thing that they changed about it was the fan silent mode thing and off. Which seasonic already had and so did Corsair with the ax/axi I have no idea why they even launched the RM series

not necessarily, Corsair tried to put a really high price tag on something that already worked with their cx/cxm line of power supplies. Pretty much the only thing that they changed about it was the fan silent mode thing and off. Which seasonic already had and so did Corsair with the ax/axi I have no idea why they even launched the RM series

The CX430-600w PSU is based on the entry level CWT, group-regulated design - DSA-III. The CX750-850 / M is more of a mid-range platform from CWT with DC-DC regulation - PUQ-B. Since the CX is the budget oriented line of Corsair, it uses lower quality components (Chinese caps and sleeved bearing fan), rated for 30C, and has a 3 year warranty.

The RM series are made to replaced the mid-range TX series. The RM also uses CapXon, but is rated for 40C, has a rifle bearing fan, full modularity, a more relax fan profile, support for Corsair Link, significantly better electrical performance than the lower wattage CX units, and has a 5 year warranty. The overall topology design is also different than the CX series.

The higher rated temperature shows that it is more robust, as well as won't prematurely shut off if temperature exceed it, like what happen here and here:

Recently, there's been a big change to the 750-850w version. They are now more similar to the HXi platform with updated full Japanese NCC caps. So saying that the RM850 that the OP is looking at is "bad", and yet recommend the CX850M that's inferior to it doesn't make sense to me.

Only powering a single GPu, are all other brands have continuous power, I like the featured fanless mode until 40% load on rm850 but since you don't recommend it might look for Cooler master or seasonic.

Why NOT RM?

Seasonic OEM MFG PSU's are good. The Corsair AX 760/860 are Seasonic units.

-snip-

why did you slap a wall of text as a reply to somebody who was just saying that corsair is overpriced compared to other options in first-world countries?

"Rawr XD"

RM series isn't bad. Jonnyguru gave it 9.2

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

We still haven't gotten the information regarding where he is buying from. Can you provide this information, @Snake21 ?

Feel free to ignore what I'm saying below, OP.

RM series isn't bad. Jonnyguru gave it 9.2

I didn't say it was bad. What I said was, if he think the RM series isn't very good, why is he recommending a series that is position lower than it?

Also, you shouldn't focus on the scoring of the reviews. As different opinions of different reviewers (Tazz and Oklahoma Wolf of Jonnyguru.com) can affect that score to some degree. As well as there are various of parameters that determine that score. It is best to read and understand the review that they took their time to make.

why did you slap a wall of text as a reply to somebody who was just saying that corsair is overpriced compared to other options in first-world countries?

Oh, I'm sorry for posting another wall of text. I made it into collapsible spoiler for you.

I find this rather interesting. I'm a regular poster of the PSU section where the majority of my post was made here. Just a few weeks ago, you made a statement that you find me "annoying" because I would, and I quote, "crawled out of the bushes" every time you made a post (Me posting in a PSU thread? Shocking, isn't it?). And yet this is the fourth or fifth time you quoted me on this. Either you directly telling me about my "wall of text" or doing a TL:DR shit on my post).

It actually got to the point where one of your post got deleted by a moderator because you had practically said my "wall of text" wasn't "needed" and has real "no purpose" which is rather disrespectful of you might I add.  Now, here you are again doing the same exact thing, regarding the same RM vs CX subject, and provided a very similar reply. The only thing different this time is I'm not replying to you but to someone else.

So I must asked. Why does it concern you that I had posted a "wall of text"? What right do you have to tell me what to post, when to post, and how should I post it? Are you some sort of moderator of this forum who can dictate what a person can or cannot post here? If you are, you should asked for a badge under your username that denotes your authority of that. Otherwise, just like you have the right to go into almost every single thread, quoting anyone that recommends the RM series, Aurum based EVGA, etc. and tell them how you believe it is a bad recommendation, I have the right to explained, in detail, why something is or not a good option. Be it to you or anybody else. If you have a problem with it, then don't read it. I had never once force anybody into reading it.

_____

Now regarding the why. In that other thread I had mentioned (the one where your post got deleted), you had made post that states: "do your research on everything concerning power supplies before you provide misleading information." Or at least something along those lines. Had he stated that there are better options to go with, I would have not said anything. However, he did not.

It is one thing to say there are other options available, but it's another thing to post misleading information to support it. By trying to put the RM series in a lower position than the CX, that was misleading in itself. He also asserted that the higher price tag is only due to Zero-RPM mode and didn't know why it was release, so I had took the liberty to make a comparison of the two series to show him the advantages that it has over the CX which may reflect the increase in price. Of course, you can say that the increase in price isn't worth it, but he did not say that.

Also, making comments that it is "overpriced compared to other options in first-world countries" is a waste of time, as you are not taking into consideration of the OP. As you already know, pricing and availability can differ depending on time and location. Sales will occur eventually, pricing may be higher or lower in another country, price drops can happen, and not every options may be available for everybody. Rather than going on a crusade on every time the RM series is mentioned and generalizing how overpriced it is, isn't it better to asked the OP to provide a link to the stores that they are able to buy from? Not only this will give you the reality of what is available and the pricing, the OP won't immediately dismissed an option due to generalization. It turned out to be overpriced, you have proper evidence that support your statement at works for that time and place.

We still haven't gotten the information regarding where he is buying from. Can you provide this information, @Snake21 ?

Feel free to ignore what I'm saying below, OP.

I didn't say it was bad. What I said was, if he think the RM series isn't very good, why is he recommending a series that is position lower than it?

Also, you shouldn't focus on the scoring of the reviews. As different opinions of different reviewers (Tazz and Oklahoma Wolf of Jonnyguru.com) can affect that score to some degree. As well as there are various of parameters that determine that score. It is best to read and understand the review that they took their time to make.

Oh, I'm sorry for posting another wall of text. I made it into collapsible spoiler for you.

I find this rather interesting. I'm a regular poster of the PSU section where the majority of my post was made here. Just a few weeks ago, you made a statement that you find me "annoying" because I would, and I quote, "crawled out of the bushes" every time you made a post (Me posting in a PSU thread? Shocking, isn't it?). And yet this is the fourth or fifth time you quoted me on this. Either you directly telling me about my "wall of text" or doing a TL:DR shit on my post).

It actually got to the point where one of your post got deleted by a moderator because you had practically said my "wall of text" wasn't "needed" and has real "no purpose" which is rather disrespectful of you might I add. Now, here you are again doing the same exact thing, regarding the same RM vs CX subject, and provided a very similar reply. The only thing different this time is I'm not replying to you but to someone else.

So I must asked. Why does it concern you that I had posted a "wall of text"? What right do you have to tell me what to post, when to post, and how should I post it? Are you some sort of moderator of this forum who can dictate what a person can or cannot post here? If you are, you should asked for a badge under your username that denotes your authority of that. Otherwise, just like you have the right to go into almost every single thread, quoting anyone that recommends the RM series, Aurum based EVGA, etc. and tell them how you believe it is a bad recommendation, I have the right to explained, in detail, why something is or not a good option. Be it to you or anybody else. If you have a problem with it, then don't read it. I had never once force anybody into reading it.

_____

Now regarding the why. In that other thread I had mentioned (the one where your post got deleted), you had made post that states: "do your research on everything concerning power supplies before you provide misleading information." Or at least something along those lines. Had he stated that there are better options to go with, I would have not said anything. However, he did not.

It is one thing to say there are other options available, but it's another thing to post misleading information to support it. By trying to put the RM series in a lower position than the CX, that was misleading in itself. The RM series is indeed a better power supply and as such will be more expensive. He also asserted that the higher price tag is only due to Zero-RPM mode and didn't know why it was release, so I had took the liberty to make a comparison of the two series to show him the advantages that it has over the CX which may reflect the increase in price. Of course, you can say that the increase in price isn't worth it, but he did not say that.

Also, making comments that it is "overpriced compared to other options in first-world countries" is a waste of time, as you are not taking into consideration of the OP. As you already know, pricing and availability can differ depending on time and location. Sales will occur eventually, pricing may be higher or lower in another country, price drops can happen, and not every options may be available for everybody. Rather than going on a crusade on every time the RM series is mentioned and generalizing how overpriced it is, isn't it better to asked the OP to provide a link to the stores that they are able to buy from? Not only this will give you the reality of what is available and the pricing, the OP won't immediately dismissed an option due to generalization. It turned out to be overpriced, you have proper evidence that support your statement at works for that time and place.

I'd like you to read through the review. I have. The only real downshots were nitpicks, a couple capacitors that weren't nichon, a little bit of a shoddy solder job at some small points, and a very mild inefficiency at maintaining voltage. Very very small inneficiencies, and very small nitpicks.

Like me reviewing a headset, opening it up, and spotting some small things I Dont like, putting it on, and saying it works great. Its exactly what happened in the review. The exact model in question is an RM750. The same PSU I have.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I'm from Philippines, and most PSU brand saw are cooler master,seasonic,thermaltake,corsair,aerocool

Although I do agree that Aniallation sometimes makes nonsense posts, I do also see the point that he is trying to make and agree to it, in that what you were trying to say (that RM is of course better then CX) could have been put in a much neater way then three paragraphs. 

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

I'm from Philippines, and most PSU brand saw are cooler master,seasonic,thermaltake,corsair,aerocool

http://dynaquestpc.com/  I believe that's a Philippines' store. For a single GPU system, a quality 550w unit should be able to power it.

For 3999 PHP / ~$90 USD, the Seasonic M12II Evo 620w is a good entry level PSU: http://dynaquestpc.com/product/seasonic-620w-m12ii-620-80plus-bronze-modular/

For 5600 PHP / $128 USD, the Seasonic X 650w KM3. It's an excellent high-end unit. http://dynaquestpc.com/product/seasonic-x650-x-series-650w-80plus-gold-modular/

I'd like you to read through the review. I have.

-sighs- I'm just going to reply to this part. Did actually you read what I had said? If you haven't noticed, I was defending the RM series...Plus, I was the one that told you to read the review, which means I have read it myself - all 6 pages of that RM850 review.

Although I do agree that Aniallation sometimes makes nonsense posts, I do also see the point that he is trying to make and agree to it, in that what you were trying to say (that RM is of course better then CX) could have been put in a much neater way then three paragraphs. 

The problem I have has to do with the stance he seems to have on me posting in general. Even if it is 1-2 lines post, I get responses not because of what I said but rather this : "post already been stated" or "TL:DR" or "isn't needed" or "How are you always sneaking out of the bushes into every PSU topic I reply to... it's getting annoying", etc. And then out of nowhere, the first reply in a thread was this "you need me this thread, OP".

I would be appreciative that he stop replying to me in such a belittling manner. If he does reply, however, I much rather see one that's correcting / disagreeing with me pertaining to the subject we are talking about - not one that is questioning how/when/where I typed.

Anyways, thank you for your input, and I will try to pay attention to it in the future.

Edit: Shorten the other post a bit.

OK, so I think I want room for a sli in the near future, quan dynaquest will be the store I'm buying the PSU, seasonic x 750w and corsair rm850w are about same price,so even if the rm is a bit newer seasonic is much better?

The Seasonic X 750w KM3 is 6450 PHP / 145 USD.

The Corsair RM750 is 5850 PHP / ~130 USD.

The Seasonic X simply a better build, better performing unit (electrically). It too have "zero-RPM" mode, where the fan does not spin up at lower loads. It's also has a switch that you can turn on and off this mode. It's great feature as you can ensure that the fan is actually working. The Corsair RM750 is a little quieter than the Seasonic X though. But unless you are very sensitive to noises, spending $15 more for a higher quality unit is indeed worth it.

If by some chance that you decide to get the RM series, try calling Dynaquest and see if they can verified the serial number. If the first four numbers is 1438xxxxx or higher, it should mean that you have the updated revision with the higher quality NCC capacitors. Try to aim for that.

Thanks for that detailed information, I'm on to quite build, now I know what to get,h440,4790k,hero 7,can't post my build since I'm using smartfone. Still waiting for h100i gtx here and maybe 980ti.