Corsair M65 RGB Differences - Original vs RGB

I'm bored and I can't sleep... I guess I'll write about a few of the changes (improvements?) corsair made to this mouse that aren't pointed out on corsair's website, nor on other sites. 

Note: I wear a size 9 (large) glove where I work, and primarily use a claw-style grip with my mouse. My hands aren't huge, but definitely not small. 

The original m65 fit my hand wonderfully, aside from the fact that the sniper button was positioned poorly. With my hand in the ideal position to press the side-mounted front and back buttons, pressing the sniper button was awkward, and the only way to use it in gameplay without adjusting my hand necessitated pressing the rearmost edge of it (I blame this for the button becoming mushy on one side over time). In a position that made the sniper button comfortable to press, hitting the two additional side buttons became awkward- one of which requiring my thumb to be bent sharply rearward. Not quick and certainly not comfortable. 

The new mouse seems to address that issue well, as it positions the sniper button further back in order to keep all of the buttons on the left side easily accessible. Aside from this, it seems as though the two models are identical dimension-wise. 

As far as button functionality goes, the DPI selector buttons positioned behind the scroll wheel allow 5 dpi settings to be stored to the device, as opposed to 3 on the original. The selection indicator on the original featured 3 blue led 'bars' that lit up depending on whether you had setting 1, 2, or 3 selected- simple and easy. The new RGB model uses a single color-coded LED to indicate your selection, which I found to be less than ideal. By default, all 5 settings are assigned sharply contrasting colors- which makes it easy to tell which setting you're using at a glance (if you can remember which ones are higher, medium, and lower), but if you're going for a color coded theme, they become a bit of an eyesore. That is, if you notice them at all in the first place. The colors can all be changed via the updated corsair utility engine software- completely different software than what is used for the original m65. 

As far as RGB functionality, I mean... It's there. You can set all kinds of fading and gradient effects. Like on the original m65, the LED surrounding the scroll wheel is barely noticeable. You pretty much have to be looking directly at it in a dark room with the monitor off to notice it. The RGB LED on the rear of the mouse is much more noticeable... when you aren't using the mouse. 

The only problem I've had with the new mouse is solely RGB related. Storing chosen colors and effects worked well, as did storing my different DPI profiles. The problem is that occasionally after a restart or after waking up from sleep mode, the LEDs will not function even with the software already running in the background. Going into the software and turning the LEDs on and off does nothing. DPI settings work, just no LEDs. This is easily remedied by removing the usb cable and reinserting it. 

attached: images comparing the two models side-by-side. 

Happy gaming!  :D 
-kevsea

post-198202-0-67013500-1428151460_thumb.post-198202-0-55189100-1428151462_thumb.

-snip-

Nice overview!

I was about to get a M65 RGB, but then my local store only had the ROG Gladius in stock, I got impatient and just went with the Gladius, it fits better in my hand then my friend's M65 RGB. Also I have a 2000hz polling rate! Cool cool!

Nice overview!

I was about to get a M65 RGB, but then my local store only had the ROG Gladius in stock, I got impatient and just went with the Gladius, it fits better in my hand then my friend's M65 RGB. Also I have a 2000hz polling rate! Cool cool!

Thanks!

I'm just pretty resistant to change, so if I end up breaking this one sometime down the road, I'll likely end up buying another as long as they're still in production. I'm fine with 1000hz.

Also I have a 2000hz polling rate! Cool cool!

Classic Asus, marketing a product with some over the top quality that has little real world significance. :P

But I guess it is somewhat of in upgrade considering the Gladius has an optical sensor and a good one at that.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Thanks!

I'm just pretty resistant to change, so if I end up breaking this one sometime down the road, I'll likely end up buying another as long as they're still in production. I'm fine with 1000hz.

Classic Asus, marketing a product with some over the top quality that has little real world significance. :P

But I guess it is somewhat of in upgrade considering the Gladius has an optical sensor and a good one at that.

I'm not saying a 2000hz is better/needed/noticeable or that 1000hz is bad, I'm just impressed that Asus made the first 2000hz mouse ever in their sort of first attempt at mouses.