Server hosting software for game servers?

Giganizer300PRO

So, I have hosted a Minecraft server before, using Hamachi, but it's not really an ideal solution at all so...

I was thinking, since I now have a good and powerful PC, I could turn it into a server to host game servers. 

So now here I am, wandering if such thing is possible and how to do it.

I would use this to host a Minecraft server for max 5 people and some plugins, but 99% of the time, me and my friend would be the only ones playing.

Is there maybe a software for such purposes?

Is this even possible?

Thanks for your responses :D

Just host it on Windows using something like McMyAdmin.

What are you asking for?

Just download a server, open the port 2565(i think, it tells you the stock port in the settings)

And give your friends the IP.

Id recommend having a whitelist so you know who can join.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

So, I have hosted a Minecraft server before, using Hamachi, but it's not really an ideal solution at all so...

I was thinking, since I now have a good and powerful PC, I could turn it into a server to host game servers.

So now here I am, wandering if such thing is possible and how to do it.

I would use this to host a Minecraft server for max 5 people and some plugins, but 99% of the time, me and my friend would be the only ones playing.

Is there maybe a software for such purposes?

Is this even possible?

Thanks for your responses :D

Hamachi is a software so you don't need to port forward. Since you don't want to use Hamachi, you need to port forward. You can do that in the router settings.

Other than that you obviously need the server software wich you can get from minecraft.net or spigotmc.org if you want custom plugins.

What are you asking for?

Just download a server, open the port 2565(i think, it tells you the stock port in the settings)

And give your friends the IP.

Id recommend having a whitelist so you know who can join.

You can't just download the server and give your friends the IP. What IP? You have to first get it running on an IP

Hamachi is a software so you don't need to port forward. Since you don't want to use Hamachi, you need to port forward. You can do that in the router settings.

Other than that you obviously need the server software wich you can get from minecraft.net or spigotmc.org if you want custom plugins.

I am looking for something that will turn me in to a server host.

Just like when you rent space from hosting companies, except I will be doing that from my PC.

That's what I'm going for.

I don't want to use Hamachi, because then people need to connect to my network and it only reaches about 6-8 miles, no more.

You can't just download the server and give your friends the IP. What IP? You have to first get it running on an IP

The IP your ISP gave to you, Your friends connect through the IP and the port.

Thats how i and those i know always have done it.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

The IP your ISP gave to you, Your friends connect through the IP and the port.

Thats how i and those i know always have done it.

Ok, so how do I get the IP then?

Which IP is this anyway?

How do they connect?

Ok, so how do I get the IP then?

Which IP is this anyway?

How do they connect?

You have to ask your ISP about your IP, You might have to ask for a static IP.

They connect by launching minecraft and adding your server.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

You have to ask your ISP about your IP, You might have to ask for a static IP.

They connect by launching minecraft and adding your server.

So is this all or do I have to add that IP somewhere in the server config?

Granted that I don't have much experience on hosting on my own machine but some more working with both hosting companies and private server.

I am looking for something that will turn me in to a server host.

Just like when you rent space from hosting companies, except I will be doing that from my PC.

That's what I'm going for.

I don't want to use Hamachi, because then people need to connect to my network and it only reaches about 6-8 miles, no more.

Actually what you do is download server files, open some ports and start server. Rest is config stuff. I have tried to do it but can't because of very strict firewall. Actually, long time ago when Operation Flashpoint Dragon-whatever was released, I hosted server that was run through my clanmates Hamachi. So I would say that you can do that much with it. 

So is this all or do I have to add that IP somewhere in the server config?

When you start server, it automaticly uses two IP addresses. One is your internal IP and another is what outsiders use to connect to you. You can easily see these by going somewhere like https://www.whatismyip.com. If you are going to do this more often and for other people than just your friends, its better to get hostname to protect your IP.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't think you quite understand how this works, so let me explain.

You don't need a specific software other than the server software you can get from minecraft.net or spigots.org.

Set up the server just like you would do before. But you don't need to specify an IP in the server config.

Now comes the tricky part. You need to port forward. To do that, find the default gateway IP. You can find that by typing "ipconfig" in cmd. Paste the default gateway in the Web browser. Now to port forwarding. This is usually located under application and gaming. Type in your IP and the port, default for minecraft is 25565.

Start your server and navigate to whatsmyip.org. The IP that pops up here is the one you want to give to your friends. To check if you have correctly ported click "port scanner" in the menu on the left. Type in 25565 and see what it says. If it says "open", you did it right.

Good luck!

I don't think you quite understand how this works, so let me explain.

You don't need a specific software other than the server software you can get from minecraft.net or spigots.org.

Set up the server just like you would do before. But you don't need to specify an IP in the server config.

Now comes the tricky part. You need to port forward. To do that, find the default gateway IP. You can find that by typing "ipconfig" in cmd. Paste the default gateway in the Web browser. Now to port forwarding. This is usually located under application and gaming. Type in your IP and the port, default for minecraft is 25565.

Start your server and navigate to whatsmyip.org. The IP that pops up here is the one you want to give to your friends. To check if you have correctly ported click "port scanner" in the menu on the left. Type in 25565 and see what it says. If it says "open", you did it right.

Good luck!

As an accent to this, unless you are paying for a static IP from your ISP, you *may* occasionally have your public IP address changed. To combat this, I'd recommend using a free Dynamic DNS service.

Some routers can do this natively, but have limited options, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say you aren't running custom router firmware that might give you a few more options. 

Go to https://duckdns.org/install.jsp and click "windows-gui" and follow the instructions. Then you can give your friends a URL instead of an IP. It doesn't help anything except that you don't have to ask them to change the IP address of the server if it ever changes. 

I use DuckDNS on my linux media server, it works flawlessly and it's free.

www.whatismyip.com

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)