Stuck at BIOS splash screen

akadevvy
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Try a different board.

I'm running an older system for gaming but I recently purchased a HD7790 to replace my awful 9400GT and now I'm having this issue being stuck on the motherboard splash screen..

Install went as usual removing old drivers, booting safe mode to wipe nvidia display drivers, installed new card and drivers.. When it came time to reboot my PC it stopped at the BIOS splash screen..

Here are a few things I've tried.. Some work.. Some don't..

1. Unplugging all USB devices boots past the splash screen but restarts itself soon as I plug in my keyboard or mouse

2. Removing all but 1 ram stick does nothing (tried all my ram sticks)

3. Resting CMOS does nothing

4. Bought a new PSUs 450w (30A on 12v single rail) and still hangs

5. Unplugged my two HDDs still hangs

6. Now for the dumbest way and only way to get it to boot... I put my old card back in, boot into BIOS, shutdown, and swap cards back to the 7790.. It boots up just fine and everything works.. I have to do this every single time to get my system to boot past the splash screen if I restart..

If anyone can help me with this I would be so happy.. I'm about to loose what little hair I have left over this..

Wow that is really wierd, why don't you try this:

Get into your BIOS and "reset to default", because maybe the motherboard is trying to tepback your GPU clock and that makes it to crash somewhat.

(Could you list your Specs if you know them or at least upload a picture of your system)

Trying using your iGPU only with your discrete card removed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Wow you guys are fast.. I did try resetting the CMOS, does that reset the BIOS?

I really don't want to restart again unless I have to

My specs are old..

13zyh5.jpg

Does your board have an iGPU then?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yes I have an integrated graphics on my board.. It's disabled in BIOS currently

You should really try to run with the integrated graphics and also reset your BIOS to default it doesn't harm it at all or changes anything but the BIOS setup (unless you have a crazy overclock then i wouldn't worry on resting to default)

Can you get into your BIOS at all?

I can access my BIOS.. Just can't access it with my new graphics card installed unless I do the stupid method of number 6

I'll swap cards and rest my BIOS to default real quick

Reset BIOS to default but still having the same issue..

Can only boot past the splash screen if I first put in my old card, boot untill I get a CPU fan error (It's plugged into a molex not the MB), shutdown, swap to my new card, and all is well..

I have to do this every single restart or shut down.. Could it be the PSU maybe? I had a 400w (2 12v rails at 14A & 13A) before and had the same thing.. Bought a quick one up town 450w single 12v rail @ 30A.. But it still wouldn't explain how it boots with swapping cards.. I'm out of ideas here..

It's a bit of an odd issue.

Did you try taking the card out but not swapping it with the old card then putting it back in and see if it works?

By the way what card is the old one?

Prior to installing the AMD card did you clean off any leftover nVidia software / drivers?

Taking the card out and booting to where I think I'll get the CPU fan error then shutting down and putting the card back in still doesn't work.. My old cards is a very cheap nvidia 9400GT..

I edited my post above after reading the first comment. ^

I uninstalled all my nvidia drivers then used driver sweeper before installing the new card..

Here's a new thing tho.. Since I swapped PSUs I just tried taking one of the memory sticks out again and it boots fine.. Tried it with the other stick and boots fine.. But if I have both installed it won't boot past motherboard splash screen.. It will boot with both sticks if I do the video card swap back and fourth.. I'm so confused..

This is weirder. 

Look like your memory sticks aren't working well in dual channel.

And the thing about your graphics card while in dual channel sounds like a north-bridge compatibility issue,

I have two other sticks of ram that work fine in dual channel but they are only 1gb.. Could one of my sticks be bad? Or should I swap my motherboard out? ( I have another one on hand but would have to use the 400w psu with 2 12v rails)

Try a different board.

What he said^ .

Why are you forced to use the older PSU?

My other board is an 8pin power.. For some reason the 450w I bought only has a 4pin.. Could I still use the 450w with just 1 4pin on an 8pin mb?

yes just not for a prolong period / overclocking or you'll risk frying your 4-pin connector.

The eight pin is there for overclocking purposes. It should not affect anything else by using a 4 pin.