H.265/HEVC gets the approval from the ITU

w_km

So the new video codec gets the go-ahead...from the initial reports it's actually quite promising. Much smaller video file sizes and lower bandwidth, especially at higher resolutions. But all this at the cost of increased decoding/encoding processing requirements (at least for now). My guess is it'll take a full year to implement H.265 into new hardware, but this would make 1080p and 4K video content more widespread. Hello 4K smart TVs, monitors, consoles and games....YAY!!!

Source: http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2013/01.aspx#.UQjBs79jt8H

Decent Write-Up: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/147000-h-265-standard-finalized-could-finally-replace-mpeg-2-and-usher-in-uhdtv

Am I the only one that want's to see LinusTechTips at greater than 1080p? Any thoughts?

Is this something i'll be able to install on my pc without any hardware upgrades?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Is this something i'll be able to install on my pc without any hardware upgrades?
I think most current, powerful PC systems won't have a problem using software for video playback (unlike current phones, tablets, etc.) , but new chips with hardware support are the true future...most likely available in mid 2014.

• 1 year later...

Now if only encoding in H.265 was more efficiant. My 4770k crawls when trying to encode from a bluray source.

CPU: Intel 6770k -- Motherboard: Gigabyte 170-HD3 -- Graphics Card: XFX 480 GTR OC 8GB -- RAM: Kingston Hyper X 4x4GB 2400mhz -- Storage: Intel 520 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Blue, WD 2TB Green -- PSU: Corsair RM 850i -- Chassis: Corsair Carbide 200R -- Optical: LG BH16NS40 16X BD-R Blu-ray Writer -- Additional Cooling: 2x Noctua NF-P14S Redux 1500RPM PWM, 2x Noctua NF-S12B 1200RPM PWM.

HEVC decoding is already implemented in hardware on mobile chips and TVs. Desktops are lagging behind, but it shouldn't be a big deal since we have powerful CPUs to decode it anyway.

Now we just need x.265 to get better...

I personally don't think that H.265 will become Mainstream. VP9 codec seems to be the way forward for many hi res video streaming. Especially when you got Google advocating it

I personally don't think that H.265 will become Mainstream. VP9 codec seems to be the way forward for many hi res video streaming. Especially when you got Google advocating it

Yes, but there are already hardware H.265/HEVC encoders/decoders out there in SOCs ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]