Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power - solid pick?

Tech Enthusiast

Whenever someone asks for a good cooler i see the same 2-3 names floating around.

CM 212 Evo, Dark Rock 3, or go liquid pretty much.

Here i found a benchmark that inlcudes some bigger names. http://www.tomshardware.de/cpu-cooler-cpu-kuhler-cooling-kuhlung-overclocking,testberichte-241565-11.html

It is a german news article, but you can just scroll down to the benchmarks.

Check out the Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power. It seems to be pretty silent and cool like a monster. It is also less then 50 bucks.

Some extracted info:

• 1.9c cooler then Dark Rock 3, while being 3.3 db more silent at maximum speed.
  • 4.8c cooler then Dark Rock 3, while being 0.1db more noisy at 1000rpm.

It seems to be quite high. But a lot of people seem to use the Define R4/5 cases that do have plenty of room for that. On the other hand it is not as wide, so it does not overlap memory slots.

I don't have personal experience with it yet, but ordered it.

Anyone here that has some first hand experience with it, or even better: Can compare it in a more "natural" scenario then a benchmark?

Got this baby today.

Can definitly vote for it.

Tried the Dark Rock 3 (shamelessly stolen from my GFs pc for testing *cough), the CM 212 Evo (my old cooler) and the new True Spirit 140 Power.

Do not own anything to test noise apart from an app for my iPhone.

Noise about 30cm away from closed case

CM 212 Evo: 45db

Dark Rock 3: 43db

True Spirit: 42db

CPU - temp after running Crysis 3 on maxed settings for 30min

CM 212 Evo: 63c

Dark Rock 3: 59c

True Spirit: 54c

Far from a professional benchmark, no doubt. But enough to see a difference for my personal situation. Not sure if other cases or fan layouts change anything here. They might.

So, summing it up: The Coolermaster 212 Evo is a solid cooler for very low prices. The Dark Rock 3 is only slightly more expensive, but also slightly better and more silent.

Clear winner for me:

True Spirit 140 Power. 9c cooler AND 3db more silent over my old CM 212 evo make me happy to own it now. At a price of 42€ it is only 13 bucks more expensive as well.

It is indeed HUGE tho. You will need to make sure it fits in your case. Does not overlap any memory slots tho.

It's a great cooler. Just because it's not as parroted as the others doesn't mean it's bad  :P