Ubuntu resolution problems

Hey guys  :) ,

I'm a serious noob when it comes to the technical side of computers and I decided i wanted to switch to a Linux based os because I wanted to try it out.

So today I decided to Install Ubuntu 10.10 on an old Hitachi 320gb drive and the install went fine until I tried to adjust the resolution.... That's when I noticed that I couldn't change it.

The question now is... How can I change the resolution if the setting only shows me 1024x768? I've got a 1440p BenQ display and it sucks not being able to fully use all of that resolution.

I also have a BenQ Monitor that I couldn't get to work at 1920*1080 resolution. If you have a Nvidia card (mine is GTX 970), do this :

Simply add the ppa, update, install the nvidia 346 drivers, and restart.

This is what I do for fresh installs:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install nvidia-346

sudo shutdown -r now (this just restarts the PC)

It does it all for you. No need for blacklisting since it does that for you too. I've only ever done this on fresh installs of Mint 17.1/Elementary(Freya did give me some issues though)/Ubuntu 14.10(Unity and Gnome)/Kubuntu 15.04. . . so I'm not sure how it plays out with a nvidia driver not packaged by edgers currently installed.

I've noticed that on mint 17.1 the nvidia settings application didn't install and is solved by

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

I mainly only use it to control fan speeds(though i havent tried the new overclocking ability you can add in too), but don't freak out if it's not there :P

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comments/2zrcoh/my_recently_built_haswellmaxwell_mintbox/

Ubuntu 10.10? Really? Why are you using Ubuntu from 2010? The latest is Ubuntu 15.04.

Sorry wasn't thinking straight, its 14.10. :blink:

Ubuntu 10.10? Really? Why are you using Ubuntu from 2010? The latest is Ubuntu 15.04.

I agree, no one should be using 10.10. 10.04 was the last usable build :^)

Are you referring to the GNOME2 days?

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Are you referring to the GNOME2 days?

Ah, those were the days. 

Ubuntu 14.04 is just as solid and Ubuntu 15.04 is looking quite good as well.

Ubuntu 14.04 is just as solid and Ubuntu 15.04 is looking quite good as well.

It has nothing to do with it being "solid," I dislike Canonical. And honestly, I find ubuntu too babyish now. 

It has nothing to do with it being "solid," I dislike Canonical. And honestly, I find ubuntu too babyish now. 

I personally don't pay any attention to the companies behind the distribution. If it's good, I'll use it. What do you mean by "babyish"? As in too simplistic or?

I personally don't pay any attention to the companies behind the distribution. If it's good, I'll use it. What do you mean by "babyish"? As in too simplistic or?

Ubuntu has evolved into the "linux for people who don't want to use linux" distribution. 

Don't get me wrong - the community is great. There is lots of support and it's usually easy to find a solution to your problem, or something similar that you can figure it out. And as I said, my problem isn't really with ubuntu, it's with canonical. The same reason I wouldn't use apple products, it's not because they're all complete garbage (like ubuntu, just because I don't like it doesn't mean it isn't useful for someone else) it's because I don't like the company, the people who run it, their business practices, etc..