Does this work?

My mobo is the M5A97 R2.0

I've been having BSODs on my comp and the message indicated RAM problems. That may not be the case.

As a result I bought a 2x4gb kit (2133mhz).

Originally I had 2x8gb (1600). I was thinking of setting it up (if the old memory is still good) so the new sticks are in the primary dual slots (the slots that would be used if 1/2 sticks were in use) and sticking the old ram in the other 2.

My theory is the new sticks with the higher clock would be in use for most things and if needed the other sticks would come into use should more than 8gb be needed? (it never will probably).

no..if you plug 4 sticks in..of different speeds..more then likely it won't work

if it does work...then all the ram will run at the slowest speed

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

No, the ram will run at the speed of the slowest stick. It doesnt split like that unfortunately.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

no..if you plug 4 sticks in..of different speeds..more then likely it won't work

if it does work...then all the ram will run at the slowest speed

No, the ram will run at the speed of the slowest stick. It doesnt split like that unfortunately.

That's a shame.

May return the new sticks if that's the case.

That's a shame.

May return the new sticks if that's the case.

memory speed won't change anything, this was a worthless purchase unless you need the extra capacity.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

memory speed won't change anything, this was a worthless purchase unless you need the extra capacity.

It was a replacement as I believed the old ones were dead. They may not be so I was considering whether or not to keep the new ones. Hence the topic.