Intel Core i7-4510U

8GB DDR3

500GB Hybrid HDD + 8GB SSHD

14" 1920x1080 LED

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT820M

DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

4-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 8.1

Would this be suitable for video editing? Someone mentioned that the U at the end of the CPU stands for ultra low voltage which isn't suitable for any kind of editing. How valid is that statement? And will this machine be suitable in delivering what I want in terms of content production? Bear in mind that I'm not looking to dish out tons of money.

The CPU is a dual core, which I believe runs at a base clock of 2GHz. Not really suitable for heavy work, but you can still edit on it. Just don't expect it to be fast. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I've also looked into the GPU- turns out it's not good for much either.

Given that this pick is a weak contender at best, what other options would you recommend that would be able to handle 1080p footage and higher through Adobe premiere pro?

I've Also been debating whether to build my own PC if I won't be able to find a suitable laptop for the job.

I'd say build your own PC. You'll get a lot more out of it. And I haven't found the need to use a laptop that often in college. I do have one but it doesn't get all too much use now that I quit my tutoring job which is why I bought the laptop. 

-SNIP-

I'd highly recommend you build your own desktop system if you don't need the portability. You'd be getting much better performance for your money in the listed programs you want to use. 

If you really need the portable power. I'd look at laptops with Quad core i7's such as the i7 4700HQ or higher. These will give you 8 threads too, which will make a big difference. Ideally I'd recommend 16GB of RAM as Adobe CC/CS6 will use up whatever you've got. A dedicated GPU would be ideal but isn't a must have. Something lower end like an 850m would increase your rendering speed with some cuda acceleration and not cost too much.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

In that case, what kind of internals should I be opting for if I were to start building my own?

I just liked the idea of having a mobile computer, especially because I travel a lot and I could never be as efficient in doing work at home. I guess if I were to change that I'd have to seriously look into decking out a new room and turn it into a comfortable working space.

I'd highly recommend you build your own desktop system if you don't need the portability. You'd be getting much better performance for your money in the listed programs you want to use. 

If you really need the portable power. I'd look at laptops with Quad core i7's such as the i7 4700HQ or higher. These will give you 8 threads too, which will make a big difference. Ideally I'd recommend 16GB of RAM as Adobe CC/CS6 will use up whatever you've got. A dedicated GPU would be ideal but isn't a must have. Something lower end like an 850m would increase your rendering speed with some cuda acceleration and not cost too much.

That does make sense, but it sounds like it'll go beyond the budget I had in mind which was below a 1000

In that case, what kind of internals should I be opting for if I were to start building my own?

I just liked the idea of having a mobile computer, especially because I travel a lot and I could never be as efficient in doing work at home. I guess if I were to change that I'd have to seriously look into decking out a new room and turn it into a comfortable working space.

What's your budget? 

I'd definitely recommend you go with a dedicated workspace at home if you're going with a desktop option. You sound like you move around a lot though, so if a laptop would fit in with your current workflow then is there a way you can save a little more and get a laptop with a quad core i5 or i7? 

What's your budget? 

I'd definitely recommend you go with a dedicated workspace at home if you're going with a desktop option. You sound like you move around a lot though, so if a laptop would fit in with your current workflow then is there a way you can save a little more and get a laptop with a quad core i5 or i7?

Set budget is around a 1000 for now. How much would those run for approximately?

I was thinking that I should go ahead start with a desktop build and then buy a solid laptop later. That might sound stupid, I know but I am in serious need of get up and go power which seems that can only be achieved through a desktop at the moment.

Set budget is around a 1000 for now. How much would those run for approximately?

I was thinking that I should go ahead start with a desktop build and then buy a solid laptop later. That might sound stupid, I know but I am in serious need of get up and go power which seems that can only be achieved through a desktop at the moment.

You can get a powerful system for $1000. If you're not interested in too much gaming? 

You can get a powerful system for $1000. If you're not interested in too much gaming?

Nope, gaming won't be something I'll be getting into.

Okay so this is what I put together for around $1000. I added the GTX 960 for Cuda acceleration. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PsCvcf

Okay so this is what I put together for around $1000. I added the GTX 960 for Cuda acceleration. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PsCvcf

It said that there might be a compatibility issue with the power supply on this build, should I be concerned if I went for it? Also, why'd you opt for the 960x over what Nvidia or Amd has to offer? Will this run quietly too?

Moved to Mobile Devices.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I came across a Lenovo Z50 with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-4510U

8GB DDR3

500GB Hybrid HDD + 8GB SSHD

14" 1920x1080 LED

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT820M

DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

4-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 8.1

Would this be suitable for video editing? Someone mentioned that the U at the end of the CPU stands for ultra low voltage which isn't suitable for any kind of editing. How valid is that statement? And will this machine be suitable in delivering what I want in terms of content production? Bear in mind that I'm not looking to dish out tons of money.

There are Laptops with good cpus but not so good gpu but itll definitely be more than 1000

u have to decide whether you need such fast rendering speeds as if your vid is up to 10 mins long, rendering speeds is not a big issue, For your info the cpu for the laptop u suggested can turbo up to 150% +- the avg ghz

if you really travel alot maybe once a fortnight and stuff, ill go for a laptop

ill look more into battery life and ram amount if i were you

if not ill go with a pc build

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

You don't have to opt out from laptops to get something strong enough for video editing. I would look around for a laptop that rocks a quad core i7. The downside is most of them are gaming laptops which run for a fair bit of money. Here's a prime example of a laptop that's not as strong as a desktop but still would get the job done decently.