JavaScript Development Tools

jPak

Hey guys,

Some background: I do a lot of Java and C/C++ development and do it with the Eclipse IDE. I just got a job doing a bit of backend JavaScript development. Now I'm okay with doing PHP and JavaScript coding and testing using a browser and simple text editor (I use Sublime Text for basic editing) but given that the backend system is much larger than a few files, I suspect this solution may not be viable. I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide a better solution or convince me that the way I'm proceeding is perfectly fine. Bonus points if the solution works on OS X.

Also, I may have to look forward to doing .net/C# development. I'm currently working on a Mac, thereby making development difficult. I was wondering if there was a solution for getting this up and running on my machine. I gave Emonic on Eclipse a shot but it was last updated in 2010, didn't install, and probably isn't supported anymore. I could just as easily purchase a Windows laptop for development but that's quite a chunk of change that I'm going to do my best to avoid spending.

One last note: booting into Windows on a Macbook Pro is a terrible experience and is one that I can't recommend. Just in case someone may have suggested this solution.

Thanks a lot!

For .Net/C#, Mono is an option. Works for OS X and Linux.

Last I recall, Eclipse has a plugin for PHP. and Javascript. PDT and JSDT are the ones you need. Web Tools (WTP) may also be an option for general web development (includes JS).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

For web development I use Eclipse with the Aptana plugin. It has support for a bunch of technology, including JS and PHP.

For .NET, there's really nothing better than Visual Studio. But then again, what are you doing developing .NET/C# code on a Mac? :P

I can't really recommend Mono as I feel it is still pretty unstable (loosely, this is a .NET framework port). As for IDEs, no idea of what there is out there (aside from VS).

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

Why are you using javascript for back end stuff? Surely there are much better languages to be using server side...? Anyway, when I test websites, I use a local apache server on my computer then open http://localhost/ . I understand that there is also a package similar to XAMPP that I use which is available on mac, and it's a brilliant solution because it works exactly like your real server, which is quite likely to be running apache anyway.

HTTP/2 203

For .Net/C#, Mono is an option. Works for OS X and Linux.

Last I recall, Eclipse has a plugin for PHP. and Javascript. PDT and JSDT are the ones you need. Web Tools (WTP) may also be an option for general web development (includes JS).

I saw Mono briefly, I'm going to check that out soon. And I think I installed JSDT while posting this. Hope it's got some awesome tools!

For web development I use Eclipse with the Aptana plugin. It has support for a bunch of technology, including JS and PHP.

For .NET, there's really nothing better than Visual Studio. But then again, what are you doing developing .NET/C# code on a Mac? :P

I'll have to look into Aptana.

Yeah yeah, C# on a Mac wtf lol. It just happens to be the only portable computer I have right now. The higher ups are trying to get me a laptop to dev on but things aren't going very smoothly. I hope we have better luck tomorrow.

Why are you using javascript for back end stuff? Surely there are much better languages to be using server side...? Anyway, when I test websites, I use a local apache server on my computer then open http://localhost/ . I understand that there is also a package similar to XAMPP that I use which is available on mac, and it's a brilliant solution because it works exactly like your real server, which is quite likely to be running apache anyway.

So I was mistaken about our backend. At the time of the first post, I had almost no information about our system. Now I understand that we're using the NetSuite CMS which is actually in Java but utilizes JavaScript to handle adding more functionality.

I use XAMPP for all my small-scale web work but I thought there might be some IDE or application that were better suited for larger-scale applications. This is a moot point now that I know that there's an Eclipse variant for NetSuite.

Try using Parallels for Windows instead?

I'll try this later on but I don't have high hopes. Emulation/VMs on a Macbook make for great campfire starters.

I really appreciate everyone's responses! Thanks for your feedback!