Flashing a phone

Atomiccupcakes

Hi I recently traded phone with my friend by cutting sim cards and what not

the phone i revived was a samsung galaxy s4 active. The problem with the phone is my friend rooted it,but the updated it with the root still on so it messed up his phone and root so now i cannot sign into google and use google aps because of this. My friend recomended that I flash my phone with a new os, he said this is basically making it a new phone. I have no idea how to do this lol. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

OTA update with root, jesus......

Anyway, just google "how to flash samsung galaxy s4 active firmware", the most reliable page should be xda developers

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

OTA update with root, jesus......

It's not such a stupid mistake... I mean, if the phone was only rooted, but still with stock ROM, it might seem quite logical to assume that updating that official ROM with an official OTA will not be influenced by the root...

In fact, it's not like it's the first thing you're told when you follow rooting guides. I mean, it's the first time I'm hearing about it and I've already flashed at least 5 ROMS in 3 different phones, all rooted obviously. No guide i ever followed, or article about it ever mentions that you can never update OTA after rooting...

Theres allot of good guides out there. Your going to want to find a copy of oden and your firmware. Go into your phones information and copy down your firmware code. (I dont recall what its called it would look something like this L720TVPUBNG5 for mine) The main issue your going to run into is finding the firmware, all the sites out there are throttled to a 30KBs or slower and samsung doesnt publicly share their firmwares that i know of. Try and find a mega link on XDA forums

I forgot to mention you should probably reset the phone if you havent already and do it after restoring the firmware. Volume Up + Power (sometimes also home) button its in one of those settings

Edited by bbtgp

>throttled to a 30KBs   

what?  

OP, you probably just need to get googlier apps apk....if not, just start all over.  Flashing a ROM is as simple as copying files to an sd card and booting the phone with them.  Seriously.

>throttled to a 30KBs   

what?  

OP, you probably just need to get googlier apps apk....if not, just start all over.  Flashing a ROM is as simple as copying files to an sd card and booting the phone with them.  Seriously.

Thats from my recent expeince. Most links are dead for official firmwares. The only sites that have them link to throttled file lockers or require payment for faster download. If OP wanta wants to go with a custom firmware then no wories.