I'm new to pc. Is this a good build. (PLEASE HELP)

XJB777X

Im trying to build a nice pc and im wondering if these specs are good. Please let me know if it could be better. I'm trying to spend around $1200-$1500. (I don't know much I would also like to know if some of the components i listed are compatible. I know about some of this stuff but not a lot.

Intel Core i7-4790k 4.40GHz.

NZXT H440 Mid Tower.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO-CPU Cooler or a Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition CPU Cooler.

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound.

Western Digital Blue 1TB Hard Drive.

Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 Plus Bronze.

Asus ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Z97-C.

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz PC3 12800 Dual Channel.

Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD.

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 4GB.

Im trying to build a nice pc and im wondering if these specs are good. Please let me know if it could be better. I'm trying to spend around $1200-$1500. (I don't know much I would also like to know if some of the components i listed are compatible. I know about some of this stuff but not a lot.

NZXT H440 Mid Tower.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO-CPU Cooler or a Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition CPU Cooler.

switch up that cpu and gpu combo to a i5 4690k and a gtx 980 an i7 will not really give you performance boost in gaming least not more than th 4690k that is. 

askdjfasdf

What are you going to be doing with this rig? Just gaming and browsing, or anything else?

@XJB777X don't forget to follow your own threads

Woo!

If you're not doing video editing, you could drop to a i5 and get a bigger SSD. 

Also if you can, get a 500w or 600w 80+ gold PSU since your build has very low power consumption.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Looks like you covered all the bases, I would say that the best thing to do is pair it with one of these new monitors that have an adaptive refresh like Gsync.

That way you dont get any tearing in games.

Looks like you covered all the bases, I would say that the best thing to do is pair it with one of these new monitors that have an adaptive refresh like Gsync.

That way you dont get any tearing in games.

even without it he should be fine.

askdjfasdf

Not bad, but go i5 an an h100i.

Oh shoot! Was that offensive! (I don't care).

Thank you for your guy's advice. I'm mostly going to use it for gaming and browsing.

thats not really needed if hes not overclocking it even then he should still be good.

askdjfasdf

Yeah OC is one thing I wouldnt know how to do.

that's a pretty bad downgrade. 

on the topic of AIO, the h55 gets very comparable temps to a 212 evo, yet is much less reliable. 

Yeah OC is one thing I wouldnt know how to do.

It's nothing that hard, there are tons of guides, and it really yields performance benefits.

Oh shoot! Was that offensive! (I don't care).

Thank you once again for all your help guys. I may try to OC in the future. Are things like the motherboard and ram compatible?

Thank you once again for all your help guys. I may try to OC in the future. Are things like the motherboard and ram compatible?

should be no issue, the tube of AS5 is questionable but that sounds like something for another day.

the results that pointed you to that are probably dated to 2010 or earlier, or from mildly uninformed. 

I have a 23" Dell 1080p monitor and a Razer Naga and a normal Logitech keyboard. Could I replace any of these things for something better but not to crazy on the price? The monitor isn't that old but it doesn't have HDMI and the mouse was a gift from a friend but it's meant for mmos and I mostly like FPS's

I have a very similar build, but I went with an i5-4690k with the stock cooler (for now), and an EVGA GTX-970 with the ACX2.0 cooler, and a 600W psu. Runs nice and cool, and quiet. I've actually checked, and running Skyrim at 1080p with over 50 mods, most of which are graphics enhancers, I get steady 60fps and the card fans don't even kick in.

Unless you are going for 4k, multiple monitors, or "futureproofing" I would recommend the 970. Bang for buck it's the best option right now. And drop down to an i5-4690k. i7 is overkill in that, as well as the psu.

NZXT H440 Mid Tower.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C4RFMpthats the build that i want to do

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C4RFMpthats the build that i want to do

Like I told the OP, dial that i7 down to an i5-4690k. You'll save yourself some money. And a liquid cooler isn't strictly necessary, unless you plan on doing a hard OC. The rest looks good. All should be compatible.

Like I told the OP, dial that i7 down to an i5-4690k. You'll save yourself some money. And a liquid cooler isn't strictly necessary, unless you plan on doing a hard OC. The rest looks good. All should be compatible.

i want to keep the i7 because i want to do some video editing hence the 16gb ram

i want to keep the i7 because i want to do some video editing hence the 16gb ram

Gotcha. That's reasonable then. He is using his for gaming/browsing, so in his case the i7 is overkill.

Go on pcpartpicker.com M8, much easier and there is also reviews on there.

Gotcha. That's reasonable then. He is using his for gaming/browsing, so in his case the i7 is overkill.

do you think i should get an optical drive or not 

do you think i should get an optical drive or not

I did. I like having the option, and at just $25, I don't see a reason not to include one. May be a bit more if you go for Blu-ray, but I didn't. No point imo

The gaming performance of this build would be better xD and it fits your budget...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pCL4hM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pCL4hM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($241.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($153.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($66.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($80.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($565.91 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($108.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: Around $1500:P

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-25 02:01 EDT-0400