Wired vs. Wireless for game ping?

Keystone Nyan Cat
Go to solution Solved by Gugos,

no you will not reduce your ping of a noticeable amount, it mostly concern where you are and where the server you're connected is, but you'll have a more stable connection for sure, because everytime a packet get lost (and via wi fi it happen quite often) the TCP halve the packets that can be sent, and this situation is really rare in a wired solution.

In conclusion: go wired!

Hello! I'm using the onboard wifi antenna on my P8Z77 V Pro motherboard and was wondering if my game pings will reduce if I switch to a wired ethernet connection?

I'll be using this cable if I go wired- http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B001TH7GVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373208746&sr=8-2&keywords=amazonbasics+ethernet+cable

PC in Profile

Most probably, esp if you sit far away from the modem

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

no you will not reduce your ping of a noticeable amount, it mostly concern where you are and where the server you're connected is, but you'll have a more stable connection for sure, because everytime a packet get lost (and via wi fi it happen quite often) the TCP halve the packets that can be sent, and this situation is really rare in a wired solution.

In conclusion: go wired!

My Rig:

Case: Cooler Master CM II 690 Advanced USB3; Motherboard: Asus P8z77-v; Processor: i5 3550 3.3 GHz - 3.7GHz, oc @ 3.9-4.1 GHz; Graphic cards: two XFX 7850 black edition oc @ 1 GHz; 

Ram: Corsair Vengance Red 2x4 GB 1600 MHz CL8; Heatsink: Noctua NH-U9B; Power supply: Corsair HX750 W 80 Plus Gold; Storage: SSD Vertex 3 120 GB +2 HDD Wester Digital 1 TB

I would go wired because of less wireless interference.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

@Hirgaki- I'm around 15 feet away with a wall in between

@Gugos- Does that mean that my internet speed will flucuate lesser?

@DudeWazap- I guess I can see your point with over 6 different devices in my house.

PC in Profile

@Gugos- Does that mean that my internet speed will flucuate lesser?

yes, for what concern your local network at least

My Rig:

Case: Cooler Master CM II 690 Advanced USB3; Motherboard: Asus P8z77-v; Processor: i5 3550 3.3 GHz - 3.7GHz, oc @ 3.9-4.1 GHz; Graphic cards: two XFX 7850 black edition oc @ 1 GHz; 

Ram: Corsair Vengance Red 2x4 GB 1600 MHz CL8; Heatsink: Noctua NH-U9B; Power supply: Corsair HX750 W 80 Plus Gold; Storage: SSD Vertex 3 120 GB +2 HDD Wester Digital 1 TB

Depending on where you are from your router(15ft, I know) and how good your router is, you won't notice a substantial difference.

CAT5e is cheap, buy it and see if you notice a difference or not.