Custom PC desk. Looking for innovative and functional design ideas.

Couple of guidelines real quick.

1. I have already purchased my parts, case and have committed to a monitor solution. There's no going back now, so no need for fan boy arguments about my rig.

2. I built the room from scratch. The room is a mess. I already know that.

3. The walls, door-frames and most of the room is bare, I have only recently decided on a decor.

4. I acquired all of the furniture for free, so it does not match. However the different shades of dark stained hardwood tie in well enough, that I believe any fairly neutral stained table top should blend in pretty well. 

5. I am skilled in woodworking and have basic welding and metal fabrication skills.

6. I am more focused on function than form. However I would like to stay in the realm of wood, leather, and steel.

7. My budget is $500-$1000 US. I can build pretty much anything we can dream up.(as long as its worth the effort)

8. I'm open to buying any materials other than thick plate steel. (I don't have a plasma cutter)

9. A very conservative steam punk style, would be ideal if I could keep it from being too "loud" in the room.

10. The focus here should be any smart design or clever addon's. I'm open to anything that is on topic.

I have my new rig built. I have decided on a single 34" monitor. 

What I'm looking for now is an innovative custom desk solution. Originally I had thought of two- 7' x 3' butcher block tables arranged in an "L" pattern.

(high tables for stand-up desks w/ a high-back drafting stool)

I have attached pics of the space with the current plastic tables I'm using now. The space is in my "man-cave", I have dedicated that entire corner for my pc setup. I want it to double as a basic office/tinker station.

I'm also including pics of the room so you can get a feel for the other colors and size of the furniture and space.

I'll be posting pics in the comments of designs I currently have in mind. I would appreciate any pics that you have personally found innovative, intriguing, thought provoking and or just plain cool.

It would be awesome to see suggestions for under table lighting, mounted usb hubs and any other gadgets to hold or contain my different peripherals. Ie: XBox controller, headset, small tools, and any other goodies.

As always,

Thank you for your time and consideration.

System

• CPU
    I7 4790k
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte z97
  • RAM
    Fury x 16gb ddr3 16000
  • GPU
    Gtx 980 asus strix
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    2x Intel 730 ssd 240gb raid 0
  • PSU
    RM 850
  • Display(s)
    Looking
  • Cooling
    H100i, 6 120mm fans 1rear exhaust.
  • Keyboard
    Looking
  • Mouse
    Looking
  • Sound
    Looking
  • Operating System
    Win 8.1 pro

post-196103-0-28414000-1427165415_thumb.

post-196103-0-87566700-1427165730_thumb.

post-196103-0-18052700-1427165824_thumb.

post-196103-0-35968100-1427165838_thumb.

post-196103-0-36201700-1427165849_thumb.

post-196103-0-32631500-1427165859_thumb.

"Master of Pelvic Sorcery"

Something I though would be cool is if you got two sheets of thick glass, one on bottom and another about 6 inches above it. You could put your keyboard, monitor, and computer up on the top sheet of glass for easy use, any other things would go on the bottom so you can still see them and have them in reach.  You can do this with any wood and some glass for pretty cheap.  LEDs would look great on it.  You can do a external water cooling setup on the bottom which would look great.  Just adding some brass anywhere you see fit would make it a great steam punk build.  If your computer is heavy don't put it on the glass.

I like the glass idea. I could weld up a frame out of steel square tube to hold the glass. Could use wood vertically in the rear like a back splash between the two levels of glass. Obviously I could use acrylic or lexan..... But I think it would look smokey and cheap. I even have a friend who is a custom glass installer! He does showers, cars and tables. Great idea caleb. This is the kind of stuff Im wanting, thanks.

Im gonna post a couple of pics in the comments that have caught my eye. Then I'll draw up a glass table design in sketchup and post it in here. Keep'em coming!

I've been toying around with this idea. I could use 3/4" birch or some other badass sheet material with a cool Vaneer stain and seal. Then re-enforce the wood with some low profile steel tube so it doesn't bow. I could possibly salvage some old file cabinets to rest the table tops on. Maybe wrap the cabinets in copper sheet with brass rivets and brass handles. What say you?

post-196103-0-08604000-1427168188.jpg

post-196103-0-08604000-1427168188.jpg

So using the idea of the picture above with a horseshoe shaped table, sitting on cabinet drawers.

I could make the table top out of 3/4" ply with this dark walnut burl vaneer and then find some older file cabinets like these to sit it on.

I could swap out the filing plates with copper plates, add brass handles and the brush the metal so it shows through the paint.

post-196103-0-13733400-1427213550_thumb.

post-196103-0-54351000-1427213575_thumb.

• 2 months later...

So, I have finally made time to decide on a layout design for my pc desk/table.

The pics below are using 32" od circles and 16" od. The longest end of the table is 12' and the shortest is 7'.

The table will be rounded, the diagram just shows how I'm cutting it from two 4'x8' sheets.

I'll be using domestic grade 3/4" birch and I'm making an oil/varnish to custom but it will be fairly natural looking.

I found some 2 drawer metal filing cabinets to place under the table top which I will sand to a silver metal finish.

Im also going to repaint all the hardware on them like brass. They should look like the pic below.

Im starting tomorrow, so I'll post some build pics.

post-196103-0-64090900-1433821608_thumb.

post-196103-0-81228900-1433821619_thumb.

post-196103-0-80553600-1433822191_thumb.