Windows Never Seems To Install Correctly

Ishinokao

So a couple years ago I started running into issues with my windows 7 os. They went away and have now started again. I'm trying to figure out if it's my hardware or my windows disc.

Two or so years ago it randomly became incapable of completing any updates. It would install them, but couldn't complete during the reboot process. After hours of trouble shooting I gave up and reinstalled.

It still wouldn't install updates after that, but a couple weeks later it randomly sorted out it's issues.

Recently I had to run a data destruction program to wipe my HDD. My computer is getting old now and it was slow to the point where I could barely even remove sticky notes from the desktop. Regardless of there being no excessive ram or cpu usage.

Wiping the HDD and reinstalling windows fixed the slow problem, but now I can't complete any windows updates again. I can't even install other programs like iTunes. It just gives me an error and says something about windows installer not working.

Since then I've tried to get repair software, but I can't install any programs and the repair tool already on the system won't run either. I've tried turning the Win. Installer of and back on, running everything in admin..

I've tried so many solutions from so many different people and websites I can't remember them off the top of my head.

So is my HDD just messed up? Or is it something with my windows disc? I can't think of a reason as to why it would be the disc..

The reason I need to know is because I'm building a new tower in about a week. And I need to know if I should bother getting windows 8.1 or sticking with my win7 disc.

If I can save the 100bucks that'd be nice, either way it'll be windows 10 down the road.

Plz halp

I've sometimes had to manually install the updates in a certain order. that's fixed my problem and it's been happening much less often now.

If windows has installed then there's no issue with the disk.

Again, if everything else is fine i doubt it's a hardware issue.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+