Staying healthy with inconsistent working hours?

a_block_of_wood

Hi all,

Would like to learn a few tricks from anyone who is used to work at strange hours. I'm a fairly routine person, I would "auto-pilot" my way from getting out of the bed until I reach my work place. Now I'm in a new work place, and the time is a little bit off.

By contract, I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Fine. I'm in at 8, I'm out at 5. But some project came up, and I'm required to work at strange hours, sometime 5 hours in the morning, and 3 hours at night.

Someone would say I need to attend a meeting at night from 10pm-1am, and I'll need to do that, but I get to go home at 2pm to make up for the time.

If they tell me I have a 3 hour meeting at night 5 minutes before my normal off-work time, I'll still have to attend the meeting, just that I get compensated on the 2nd day.

My body clock is all messed up now and I can barely open my eyes as I type this. I wonder if there's any experienced people reading this that could share a few tips to stay healthy, other than exercising since I still do those, just not regularly now due to timing (still better than nothing).

@a_block_of_wood Nothing is better at keeping you healthy other than a healthy diet, exercise, and a good nights rest

But since your work is pretty unpredictable just remember if you need to take a nap. Make it a power nap click here for an article to help you out with how to take naps

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I work 12 hour shifts from 1800 to 0600.

I find it helps to have a membership to a 24/7 gym near you if at all possible to keep in shape and avoid the peak hours.

Also sleeping meds and limiting your caffeine intake so you can get 8 hours of rest every night. I usually don't drink any caffeine about 8 hours prior to when I want to sleep and I pop a couple melatonin about 30 minutes before getting off work. By the time it kicks in, I'm usually home and in bed.

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

Thanks for the links and tips. I didn't really know about the 20/90 minutes nap period.

I think on the first day I'm required to work at night I took a nap, but I was woken up halfway by a phone call and that messes me up real bad, it felt like I haven't slept in 48 hours.

I think I'll take that 90 minutes nap before tonight's session. Two nights ago I thought a nice cold shower before work (luckily I got to work from home at night) would keep me awake but I didn't even last an hour before nodding off.

Another night I decided to use coffee, but since I go direct to bed again after work, my sleep quality was poor, even though a cup of coffee can only keep me awake for 2-3 hours since I'm so used to caffeine.

Nap a lot, work out, and eat right. I only do the first. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch