Fiio E10 vs E10K

dmanschramm

Hey guys,

I was in the market for purchasing a DAC for my computer (who's noise and popping sounds drive me crazy). I thought the Supreme FX chip on my mobo would be better...

Anyways I saw both of these for sale and was wondering what the difference was. I stumbled upon it watching some old Linus videos and he mentioned that the LTT forum recommended this over the Asus Xonar. The E10K is cheaper at around $70 vs the E10 which is $140 or so.

Hope you guys can help! :D

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

Also, to add, if there's any other DAC/AMP that would be better or better value that you recommend, just let me know, I'm all ears! (or eyes)

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

E10K's amp reportedly has less output power than the original E10, but should still be good for most headphones.

Normally I'd recommend my favorite, the Syba DAC, but on Amazon.ca it's 80+ bucks which is about double the US price.

Definitely the E10k then as it's cheaper and basically just a newer and improved version of the E10.

Definitely the E10k then as it's cheaper and basically just a newer and improved version of the E10.

Improved how?

DAC was changed to a PCM5102, opamp upgraded to an LMH6643 and they fixed some bugs that users had with the E10 of which I honestly do not know the specifics. I have heard the E10k one requires drivers though, where the E10 didn't.

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/27

I could easily read that off their website, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Most likely those changes in chips makes the design cheaper, whilst aiming for the same relative performance. The dude on the first few pages of the release thread on Head-Fi who claims what FiiO claims might as well be working for them in my mind - getting free stuff as a beta tester - and even starts comparing USB jitter performance, the differences of which he thinks he can determine with his ear.

I'm not here to rag on the E10K, but let's not give it false praise either.

I could easily read that off their website, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Most likely those changes in chips makes the design cheaper, whilst aiming for the same relative performance. The dude on the first few pages of the release thread on Head-Fi who claims what FiiO claims might as well be working for them in my mind - getting free stuff as a beta tester - and even starts comparing USB jitter performance, the differences of which he thinks he can determine with his ear.

I'm not here to rag on the E10K, but let's not give it false praise either.

Well, let's assume they weren't stupid enough to make it have worse audio quality than the first generation and at a price of $70 against the $140 of the original E10 there really is no debate possible.

Well, let's assume they weren't stupid enough to make it have worse audio quality than the first generation and at a price of $70 against the $140 of the original E10 there really is no debate possible.

Sure there is. The original E10 was ~$70 as well.

let's assume they weren't stupid enough to make it have worse audio quality than the first generation

Really not my point.

at a price of $70 against the $140 of the original E10 there really is no debate possible.

Obviously!  :)

Sure there is. The original E10 was ~$70 as well.

Have you read the OP?

Obviously!  :)

Well, that was OPs question so whether or not the change in DAC and AMP chimps is really noticeable, it really isn't worth paying extra for an older version! :)

Well, that was OPs question so whether or not the change in DAC and AMP chimps is really noticeable, it really isn't worth paying extra for an older version! :)

Then why did you say:

basically just a newer and improved version of the E10.

:rolleyes:

Then why did you say:

:rolleyes:

Because it is literally a newer version and at least /supposed/ to be improved as to compared to the original, as usually when a company releases a follow-up product....

Because it is literally a newer version and at least /supposed/ to be improved as to compared to the original, as usually when a company releases a follow-up product....

Kind silly to say it doesn't matter in one post, and then claim a difference in the next, mayne.

Kind silly to say it doesn't matter in one post, and then claim a difference in the next, mayne.

No, I simply said it should be an improved version as per FiiO's own words, but you stated that there probably wasn't any real-world difference. I then just said that whether or not an actual difference would be noticeable, the E10k would be the better choice for OP. That is literally what it says.

Although this is starting to look more like either trolling, or massive ignorance so I'll just leave my advice here for the OP and kindly exit the thread.

In that case I'll just take it as ignorance then (or maybe just bad reading/ tiredness/ w/e), no worries :)

I have heard the E10k one requires drivers though, where the E10 didn't.

I never needed drivers for my E10k. It's just a plug and play device that even works on my Android phone through usb to micro-usb adapter. Never had issues with it like what were described with the E10. Not very many drawbacks for what this device is at this price point. Definitely recommend if you're on a budget and have entry level headphones.

Fiio E10K - AKG Q701 - Micca MB42X

Galaxy S6

Zowie FK

Definitely recommend if you're on a budget and have entry level headphones.

Yeah.

Thanks for all the replies guys :D

Canada eh? 

Currently have the E10k for my laptop. Very nice little DAC and AMP, if it's your first one you may toss aside some more expensive sound cards (little joke).

Two years back I also had E10 but somehow I lost it. Not huge improvement  between these two except the built quality that is better (the line out is actually coated and the little screws do not scratch that fast), but other than this it's not something mind blowing.

There are other decent DACs / AMPs in this price range, but depends on your region. FiiO is definitely not a bad option to go.

PS: I hope they will release some update to their dekstop amps (E09K), but this can wait  :D

PS: I hope they will release some update to their dekstop amps (E09K), but this can wait  :D

The Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier (that is sadly the actual product name) comes out of the same factory and has some good improvements over the E09(K), namely, an integrated DAC.