Future of gaming - 3D, 4K, VR - Discuss!

Cacao

Hello everyone, so I wanted to ask about this on the live stream, but unfortunately my time zone is against it! So I thought maybe I could spark a conversation on the forum, then Linus and Slick might talk about it in their next live stream. So my topic is the future of gaming and more how content will be presented in general. So let's say the standard today is Full HD 1080p, both for movies and gaming. Do you think 3D will ever become a standard? Will we just bypass it and go straight to something like the Oculus Rift (or other VR)? What role will 4K and possibly higher resolutions play in all of this? Or do you think that 10-20-30 years from now we'll still be playing on normal displays, just at a higher resolution? How will all of this apply to movies? There's quite a lot to discuss here and I would love to see your guys' opinions. So please, discuss! 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

personally I predict that there will be a huge influx of virtual reality hardware in the next few years but it is going to take awhile (if ever) to become more popular than the standard monitor layout that we currently have. Also I do not think that 3D will become that popular in gaming because of all of the new technologies such as the oculus rift that provide a much more imersive gameplay which is making 3D technology sort of obsolete.

Edited by michaeldeve

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

personally I predict that there will be a huge influx of virtual reality hardware in the next few years but it is going to take awhile (if ever) to become more popular than the standard monitor layout that we currently have. Also I do not think that 3D will become that popular in gaming because of all of the new technologies such as the oculus rift that provide a much more imersive gameplay which is making 3D technology sort of obsolete.

Technicly the oculus rift is 3D, just much more betterer and stuff.

But for Oculus rift esspecially we need a higher resolution. with the 720p dev-kits the grids-effect is huge because the 720p res is ok on a screen, but in the rift it takes up your entire field of view, so every pixel is a LOT bigger. Once we can have a rift with such a high res that the pixels are not visible anymore (about 8K will do the trick I think) It will be nerdgasm time for us all once again. hopefully games will be optimized for the rift more.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

∞K graphics in ∞D

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

Technicly the oculus rift is 3D, just much more betterer and stuff.

But for Oculus rift esspecially we need a higher resolution. with the 720p dev-kits the grids-effect is huge because the 720p res is ok on a screen, but in the rift it takes up your entire field of view, so every pixel is a LOT bigger. Once we can have a rift with such a high res that the pixels are not visible anymore (about 8K will do the trick I think) It will be nerdgasm time for us all once again. hopefully games will be optimized for the rift more.

oculus are planning on raising the resolution in the rift for the consumer model though and if I can remember right they have demoed a 1080p version, which is not perfect but it is a massive improvement.

EDIT: they demoed it at E3, you can see here:http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/oculus-at-e3-2013/

Edited by michaeldeve

Desktop CPU: Intel i5 2500K Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H GPU: EVGA 660TI 2GB Ram: Kingston 8GB 1333Mhz PSU: Unknown 500w Case: Unknown Hard drive:  WD Black 1TB Heatsink: stock OSWindows 8.1

I know my pc sucks but it does what I want it to do. 

Laptop Dell E6320 OSWindows 8.1 / Ubuntu gnome 15.04

VIRTUAL REALITY :D or HOLOGRAPHIC GAMES

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9393762.stm

That looks amazing! Unfortunately I think it's pretty far down the road...

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

That looks amazing! Unfortunately I think it's pretty far down the road...

true :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Hello everyone, so I wanted to ask about this on the live stream, but unfortunately my time zone is against it! So I thought maybe I could spark a conversation on the forum, then Linus and Slick might talk about it in their next live stream. So my topic is the future of gaming and more how content will be presented in general. So let's say the standard today is Full HD 1080p, both for movies and gaming. Do you think 3D will ever become a standard? Will we just bypass it and go straight to something like the Oculus Rift (or other VR)? What role will 4K and possibly higher resolutions play in all of this? Or do you think that 10-20-30 years from now we'll still be playing on normal displays, just at a higher resolution? How will all of this apply to movies? There's quite a lot to discuss here and I would love to see your guys' opinions. So please, discuss! 

I think virtual reality is a huge possibility but if you look at where we've come from graphically we have made huge improvements and I think they will keep that going for years to come. That being said they keep pushing the graphics side of consoles but to how far? are they trying to push it to look like real life? They will come to the point sometime down the road where the console makers are going to have to make a decision on a new direction to take games what it is who knows. 

Right now as it stands VR won't sell, I think the tech would be super expensive for the average consumer but I do believe that will change in the future. I look to virtual reality as being a standard way way down the road.

Then you have this Virtuix Omni which I think is great for military applications like simulations, or in a gym to simulate walking or hiking in different parts of the world this just won't do for the average consumer who wants to kick back on his/her sofa and game. I do believe it does have it's place but in gaming probably not I could be wrong though. 

3D in movies and in games does nothing but add depth and to be honest it's not real 3D IMO sure it looks great but it's not new tech it's been out since 1915. I think "3D" will soon find it's way to the grave yard.  

I wish the console developers would have pushed to make something of this style.

Edited by Vic9mm

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1