possible NAS/Server build questions

I want a NAS/Server kind of really. One that does have a RAID, and a fairly small formfactor, no rackmount nonsense, afterall my next dwelling only has 16m².
The server would be for storing all my pictures/movies/music/documents, probably be running debian.

I however don't know what kind of hardware such a thing needs, and don't know how much money I would have to invest, so here is a short list of questions:

Is a low end Celeron for ~30€ sufficient or overkill?

Do I really need ECC?

Software or Hardware RAID?

How much would it cost, in the really tight budget segment?

Is it possible to passively cool it in a small case?

I appreciate any help.

I'm not an expert in the NAS sector but I do know that if you want reliable storage for a NAS, WD Red series drives are usually a good buy.

My BattleBox Specs: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Hero, 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Memory, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760, Corsair C70, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Intel 330 Series 180GB & Samsung 840 Series 120GB, 3TB WD Green, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Visit kurtgrosser.com for quality content! Cheers from Canada, eh?

I want a NAS/Server kind of really. One that does have a RAID, and a fairly small formfactor, no rackmount nonsense, afterall my next dwelling only has 16m².

The server would be for storing all my pictures/movies/music/documents, probably be running debian.

I however don't know what kind of hardware such a thing needs, and don't know how much money I would have to invest, so here is a short list of questions:

Is a low end Celeron for ~30€ sufficient or overkill?

Do I really need ECC?

Software or Hardware RAID?

How much would it cost, in the really tight budget segment?

Is it possible to passively cool it in a small case?

I appreciate any help.

It's sufficient.

Yes, depending on what you are building and with what file system/features.

Doesn't matter depending on what I just said. (right here -^)

I'd guesstimate $300-$500 USD depending on how much storage you want.

Yes. If your future dwelling will almost always be at or below 25 degrees Celsius.

I've built my own home server/NAS with the same (or similar) requirements/concerns of yours. So if you have any other questions, let me know. Do note that I live in the US however and so I'm kind of lost on pricing in the rest of the world.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It's sufficient.

Yes, depending on what you are building and with what file system/features.

Doesn't matter depending on what I just said. (right here -^)

I'd guesstimate $300-$500 USD depending on how much storage you want.

Yes. If your future dwelling will almost always be at or below 25 degrees Celsius.

I've built my own home server/NAS. So if you have any other questions, let me know. Do note that I live in the US however and so I'm kind of lost on pricing in the rest of the world.

I am currently thinking of owncloud as the NAS software.

Maybe I would install murmur or teamspeak server on it, but nothing more really, so no gameservers or stuff.

I am currently thinking of owncloud as the NAS software.

Maybe I would install murmur or teamspeak server on it, but nothing more really, so no gameservers or stuff.

Well, OwnCloud itself, from googling it and reading it's site, isn't the actual software for running the server. It's the software to connect to the server and transfer files, but not the OS the server basically runs on.

For that, I suggest software RAID and to use FreeNAS 8.3.1 (or the latest version when you build it) as it's amazing software. It does require a lot of RAM (more than 8GB) and ECC RAM is definitely a good idea to have. That's what I'm using atm and it has functionality to access it through SSH (through the internet, from anywhere), stream media (videos, photos, and music), and share files (file server).

It is compatible with OwnCloud, and is often what it is used with. 

Though FreeNAS can be technical in setting everything up, there are many guides to explain how to do certain things. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, OwnCloud itself, from googling it and reading it's site, isn't the actual software for running the server. It's the software to connect to the server and transfer files, but not the OS the server basically runs on.

For that, I suggest software RAID and to use FreeNAS 8.3.1 (or the latest version when you build it) as it's amazing software. It does require a lot of RAM (more than 8GB) and ECC RAM is definitely a good idea to have. That's what I'm using atm and it has functionality to access it through SSH (through the internet, from anywhere), stream media (videos, photos, and music), and share files (file server).

It is compatible with OwnCloud, and is often what it is used with. 

Though FreeNAS can be technical in setting everything up, there are many guides to explain how to do certain things. 

There is owncloud server software available, it has a bunch of dependencies like apache to run a pretty webinterface.

I was installing it's server software on a raspberry pi, however I can't remember why exactly, but I uninstalled it without having it had setup again.

However I will have a look at FreeNAS as well, I only have to catch some sleep now.