help with components

hoolay88

Im about to do my first ever PC build, converting over from console...I just wanted to ask if there is a "best" time to purchase parts. I don't want to purchase a CPU today for £180 if in 2months time there is a new one to release for the same price but better spec, allowing me to pick that one up or get the one I plan on getting for a cheaper price.

Same goes for GPU, etc

My part list is http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/GbfqXL

Would appreciate it if anyone does know of any potential releases in the near future that may cause price drops or even allow me better hardware for the same price

Thanks guys

what is your max budget?

what res are you gaming at?

do you intend to upgrade to dual GPUs later?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

If you're overclocking, replace that jet engine with a Nepton 240m.. Better performance and much quieter.

Also i'm guessing you have 750w to plan for SLI later?

I think G.Skill Ripjawz X are cheaper for same performance in the RAM department.

Maybe change that SSD to a Crucial MX100 or other crucial.

Max budget would be about £1200 ish maybe a little higher.

I do plan on overclocking.

Thanks for the suggestions, my main point was wanting to know if amd/Intel plan on any new CPUs in the near future (next 6months) and if amd/nvidia plan on releasing any new GPUs any time soon that would compete with my selection in terms of price and/or preformance, as I don't want to buy a GPU today for 280 and in 1-2 months time I can get something better for the same price or get the same GPU for 2/3's the price.

I'm not entirely sure how to PC market works as I'm new so just wanted to know if I should possibly wait around for the new amd GPUs around the corner? If they're going to be a similar price point?

Thanks again

And yes, 750w is just to future proof so I can add a second card down the line

If you're overclocking, replace that jet engine with a Nepton 240m.. Better performance and much quieter.

Also i'm guessing you have 750w to plan for SLI later?

I think G.Skill Ripjawz X are cheaper for same performance in the RAM department.

Maybe change that SSD to a Crucial MX100 or other crucial.

The mx100 (or mx200) are more budget friendly SSD's, but the one you've chosen is performing a bit better. It's a choice between performance and price.

I don't know how many different games you play and so on, just take price and performance into considerations before you change the SSD.

When in doubt: C4

Thanks ind3x, yea, I'm happy with the ssd I selected, good size decent price and good performance

Max budget would be about £1200 ish maybe a little higher.

I do plan on overclocking.

Thanks for the suggestions, my main point was wanting to know if amd/Intel plan on any new CPUs in the near future (next 6months) and if amd/nvidia plan on releasing any new GPUs any time soon that would compete with my selection in terms of price and/or preformance, as I don't want to buy a GPU today for 280 and in 1-2 months time I can get something better for the same price or get the same GPU for 2/3's the price.

I'm not entirely sure how to PC market works as I'm new so just wanted to know if I should possibly wait around for the new amd GPUs around the corner? If they're going to be a similar price point?

Thanks again

Graphics cards -

AMD 300 Series are due out around June (Maybe a bit earlier)

Nvidia have the GTX 980ti which is due around April. I have no idea on price, but it will cost more than the current 980 series, so maybe £600 as a guess. You also have the Titan X. This will have a huge price tag. I would guess at £1K.

CPU's -

Intel have the Broadwell cpu's due for release soon. They were originally set for release Q4 last year but have been delayed. You probably won't see a huge difference between the current i5 4690K and the Broadwell equivalent, but if you are going to wait for the new graphics card/s then you might as well see how they pan out.  

Thanks for the heads up, I only really read about The 300 series, I'll have a little read around about broad well now aswel.