Learning Server Based Technology and Networking

JMY1000

I recently came into possession of some old servers via electronic recycling. I have some ones from '99 (Compaq Proliant DL320s and Cisco MCS 7800s and a Cisco CTS Codec Prim) and '05 (Dell PowerEdge 2850s), along with some fibre channel switches (IBM 2005 B32s). I, as you can probably tell, am insanely new to networking. I want a relatively simple platform that I can work on for a while while I get up to speed on everything. What should I do (in terms of hardware)?

The old ones are probably worthless. The newer one are useable, but if it uses scsi and not sata or sas, it basically useless to cause you will need to buy obsolete discs from ebay.

I find networking very exciting, and I will encourage you to spend som time with it and get familiar.

Tux is a lie.

Sell anything old it really isnt worth it, dont end up like me with a garage full of old crap i cannot get rid of.

Newish stuff is good to strip the parts out of and sell on ebay, people are always looking for spares. 

As for the network stuff, definitely use it to learn more about networking :) 

“I'm telling you, people. Everyday we wake up is another blessing. Follow your dreams and don't let anyone stop you. Never say never.” ― Justin Bieber

I recently came into possession of some old servers via electronic recycling. I have some ones from '99 (Compaq Proliant DL320s and Cisco MCS 7800s and a Cisco CTS Codec Prim) and '05 (Dell PowerEdge 2850s), along with some fibre channel switches (IBM 2005 B32s). I, as you can probably tell, am insanely new to networking. I want a relatively simple platform that I can work on for a while while I get up to speed on everything. What should I do (in terms of hardware)?

The DL320's, Cisco MCS 7800 and PE2850s are usable  You probably wont find a use for the CTS Codec Prim.  Definatly keep the IBM Fibre Chanel switches.

Did you get given a network switch?  You will need one of those if you want to do networking :)

The fibre chanel switches are for moving large ammounts of storage  about over fibre so its a slightly different kind of networking.

So get your self a switch prefrably managed and put server operating systems on the servers. So things like Ubuntu server and windows server, setup network services like DNS and DHCP,

If you havent been given any network switches or routers.  Get your self a Cisco switch and a router. there not that expensive now.

Router: Cisco 2811 or 2851

Switch: Either a Layer2 2950 switch or a Layer3 WS-C3550

You will be able to do more with the Layer3 switch in the long run so prefer this over the layer 2 switches but this will get you started in networking.  All the servers are usefull to have so you can have end computers and other servers running services on your network regardles of how "powerfull" they are, you will find they can still run Linux and windows server 2003 just fine.

The old ones are probably worthless. The newer one are useable, but if it uses scsi and not sata or sas, it basically useless to cause you will need to buy obsolete discs from ebay.

I find networking very exciting, and I will encourage you to spend som time with it and get familiar.

They are SCSI, but each of the 2 already have 2 80 GB HDDs each in their 6 bays, which should be okay for the "playing around" I'll be doing.

The DL320's, Cisco MCS 7800 and PE2850s are usable  You probably wont find a use for the CTS Codec Prim.  Definatly keep the IBM Fibre Chanel switches.

Did you get given a network switch?  You will need one of those if you want to do networking :)

The fibre chanel switches are for moving large ammounts of storage  about over fibre so its a slightly different kind of networking.

So get your self a switch prefrably managed and put server operating systems on the servers. So things like Ubuntu server and windows server, setup network services like DNS and DHCP,

If you havent been given any network switches or routers.  Get your self a Cisco switch and a router. there not that expensive now.

Router: Cisco 2811 or 2851

Switch: Either a Layer2 2950 switch or a Layer3 WS-C3550

You will be able to do more with the Layer3 switch in the long run so prefer this over the layer 2 switches but this will get you started in networking.  All the servers are usefull to have so you can have end computers and other servers running services on your network regardles of how "powerfull" they are, you will find they can still run Linux and windows server 2003 just fine.

Awesome. I'm not sure it's entirely necessary to keep all of the switches, as I have maybe 5 or so of them, and with the number of ports on them and their design for actual enterprise grade usage, I can't think of what I would need to use with them. I already have an Ethernet switch for my local usage with CAT 5e installed throughout the house and support for CAT 6... not really sure what I would use fibre for.

Knowing that a few of the servers are mostly dead (not to the point where I go through their pockets and look for loose change, mind you), is it best to try and get them running or to use them as parts for the other more working ones?

They are SCSI, but each of the 2 already have 2 80 GB HDDs each in their 6 bays, which should be okay for the "playing around" I'll be doing.

Awesome. I'm not sure it's entirely necessary to keep all of the switches, as I have maybe 5 or so of them, and with the number of ports on them and their design for actual enterprise grade usage, I can't think of what I would need to use with them. I already have an Ethernet switch for my local usage with CAT 5e installed throughout the house and support for CAT 6... not really sure what I would use fibre for.

Knowing that a few of the servers are mostly dead (not to the point where I go through their pockets and look for loose change, mind you), is it best to try and get them running or to use them as parts for the other more working ones?

SCSI hard drives are ok. They are relitavly cheep now so allways a good thing if you need more.

I use my Fibre chanel switch for moving loading VM images off of different servers.

Well see if you can get them running. Try salvaging some parts off of ones that dont completly work so you get a few working ones and sell the ones that dont work.

You will probably only need 1 fibre switch so you could sell the other 4 and use that money to go towards something else thats more usefull to you.