Skyrim: ENB question

Noilliz

Hey guys little question,

I want to play skyrim while keeping 60 fps, now skyrim vanilla is quite good but with the ENB's out there it looks completely amazing. but my attempts to use them so far let to a dramatic fps decrease from 60 to 20-35 fps.

Now my question is if that its normal to drop that much while using a ENB or that i'm doing something wrong.

My hardware:

CPU: Intel i5-4690k

GPU: MSI GTX 970

RAM: Kingston fury 2x4GB

cheers,

Joey

CPU: I5-4690K  GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G  Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Case: Corsair graphite series 230t SSD: Crucial m500 128GB HDD: 1TB WD GREEN RAM: 8GB Kingston Fury PSU: Corsiar CX600M

Some ENB's require you to change something in the files to match your hardware spec to make the program take advantage of all of your hardware. For example, it should be telling you to change a line in notepad for the mod to match the amount of VRAM you have on your video card.

I want to play skyrim while keeping 60 fps, now skyrim vanilla is quite good but with the ENB's out there it looks completely amazing. but my attempts to use them so far let to a dramatic fps decrease from 60 to 20-35 fps.

Now my question is if that its normal to drop that much while using a ENB or that i'm doing something wrong.

My hardware:

cheers,

Joey

I'm using the RealVision ENB and IIRC there are three settings: Highest, Medium, and Performance. I can use Medium with 60+ FPS but if I choose Highest then I get around 45 FPS (this is also with ~95 mods installed)

Also try to tweak the enblocal.ini file in your Skyrim directory to see if you can squeeze a little bit more FPS out of it.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Some ENB's require you to change something in the files to match your hardware spec to make the program take advantage of all of your hardware. For example, it should be telling you to change a line in notepad for the mod to match the amount of VRAM you have on your video card.

thats what i did, told it to use 4096mb, maybe a stupid questoin but i'm no expert in the whole ram stuff but its not like the 970 vram speed can be an issue if its not using 3,5gb yet right?

CPU: I5-4690K  GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G  Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Case: Corsair graphite series 230t SSD: Crucial m500 128GB HDD: 1TB WD GREEN RAM: 8GB Kingston Fury PSU: Corsiar CX600M

It seems normal, if not, I've been doing it wrong. ENBs have lots of setting if you want to change them (Shift + Enter), I keep it max because I can but on dual 780s I run at 30-40 fps.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

I'm using the RealVision ENB and IIRC there are three settings: Highest, Medium, and Performance. I can use Medium with 60+ FPS but if I choose Highest then I get around 45 FPS (this is also with ~95 mods installed)

Also try to tweak the enblocal.ini file in your Skyrim directory to see if you can squeeze a little bit more FPS out of it.

alright, let me give that a try. what setup do you have? so i can compair the performance.

My hardware:

cheers,

Joey

It's just how poorly optimized mods work with drivers I suppose, I used to have real vision enb but I couldn't stand running the game around 50-55fps instead of locked 60. I don't mess with skyrims lighting anymore.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

alright, let me give that a try. what setup do you have? so i can compair the performance.

Well for my rig, it's in my signature. As for my enblocal.ini file, I'll upload it for you.

This is an example of what I've got going right now:

2015-03-14_00002.jpg

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Thank you for the quick replies, i just did a clean install of skyrim again and trying to get it to work propperly.

for what it's worth (probably not much), here are the "default" NVidia ENBlocal settings from ENBoost

4GB Cards

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
UseDefferedRendering=false
ForceFakeVideocard=false

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=3968

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
EnableVSync=false
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num /       106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false
EnableTransparencyAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=false
IgnoreInventory=true
FixSsaoWaterTransparency=true
FixSsaoHairTransparency=true
FixTintGamma=true
RemoveBlur=true
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true

3GB cards

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
UseDefferedRendering=false
ForceFakeVideocard=false

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=2944

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
EnableVSync=false
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num /       106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false
EnableTransparencyAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=false
IgnoreInventory=true
FixSsaoWaterTransparency=true
FixSsaoHairTransparency=true
FixTintGamma=true
RemoveBlur=true
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true

Hey guys,

I'm currently on my laptop at college so i can't link any screenshots. But last night i have been adding and removing some stuff and basically just been screwing around till it started working properly. currently i have a stable 50 fps with the ENB on and around 30 mods installed. Ill upload some more details once i'm home. thanks for the help so far it seems to be working.

Cheers,

Joey

50FPS seems great, Good ENB settings and presents actually kill your performance in a hurry. This game was just not designed to use this settings and not surprisingly requires raw power only with no optimization whatsoever. If you wanna replicate those jaw dropping screenshots you see online you need to also have an impressive CPU and tolerance for playing at 30 to 40 FPS max outside, which is totally fine for a game like Skyrim

-------

Current Rig

-------

One way you can check is by opening the ENB in game and disabling Depth of Field. If you do that and you're framerate jumps by 10-20, then you know it's working properly and is just a heavy load.

That sounds about right to me. When I did that on my 780, the indoor scenes were locked at 60 but the outdoor ones can be anywhere from 35 to 60. I actually have to remove a grass mod because it was killing my performance. 

I'm not really a big fan of the bright and fancy colors but more of the dark shadows and more realistic look. So with your help if been testing a bit, and this is the result if got so far.

http://imgur.com/a/Cnr4T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iimpOrg6OFw&feature=youtu.be

List of current mods:

• Skyui
  • Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD FULL - Dungeons
  • Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD FULL - Towns
  • Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD FULL - Riften
  • Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD FULL - Misc
  • Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - SHD FULL - Landscape
  • RealVision ENB 266b
  • Realistic Lightning Overhaul
  • Project Reality - Climates of Tamriel-V3
  • Climates of Tamriel - Weather Patch
  • Supreme Storms - Supreme Storms
  • Frostfall - Hypothermia Camping Survival - Frostfall 2_6 Release
  • Wet and Cold
  • TreesHD_Skyrim_Variation - TreesHD_Skyrim_variation_HIGH_NEW
  • Realistic Needs and Diseases
  • Hunterborn
  • Immersive Animations
  • Fire and Ice Overhaul - Version 3.3
  • Immersive Weapons - Immersive Weapons
  • Wet and Cold - Ashes - Wet and Cold - Ashes v1_09
  • Stable uGridsToLoad - Cell Stabilizer
  • Skyrim Immersive Creatures
  • Realistic Water Two
  • High Quality 3D Map - HQ3DMap - Meshes Hi-Res
  • T3nd0s Skyrim Redone
  • Immersive Fallen Trees Mod - ImmersiveFallenTreesMod-v1-6Smallfix
  • WARZONES - Civil Unrest 2015
  • Immersive Armors v7_1-19833-7-1
  • Drinking Fountains of Skyrim - Drinking Fountains of Skyrim
  • Footprints - Footprints v0_99
  • Footprints - Footprints v0_99 - Ash Supplemental
  • Prisoner - Skip New Game Introduction - Prisoner - Save 1 - Un-named New Character
  • Immersive Spells and Light - Spells emit light - Immersive Spells v1_0 ALL DLC

Added:

• Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin - Verdant - A Skyrim Gras Plugin 1.6b - Full Version in one .esp
  • Superior Rock Textures - High Quality HD 2K and 4K and 1K replacers - Superior Rocks Light Gray Ultra-HD-4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbTVJOlkwA&feature=youtu.be

Might I recommend Improved NPC Clothing - High Res for the looks.

And Optimizer Textures to help improve performance without quality loss, or you can use this to trim down 4k textures into 2k should you desire.  I don't know what monitor you have, but I'd generally assume people don't have 4k monitors.

Your skyrim looks very good, a lot like mine.  Just vastly superior detail and your viewing distance makes me question my manhood.

Might I recommend Improved NPC Clothing - High Res for the looks.

And Optimizer Textures to help improve performance without quality loss, or you can use this to trim down 4k textures into 2k should you desire.  I don't know what monitor you have, but I'd generally assume people don't have 4k monitors.

Your skyrim looks very good, a lot like mine.  Just vastly superior detail and your viewing distance makes me question my manhood.

The Optimizer sounds like something i should look into later if i have some spare time, and no i'm not running on a 4k monitor. its the Asus mx299q a 2560x1080 screen. if you scroll to the bottom, i added some new screenshots. http://imgur.com/a/Cnr4T

added:

• Skyrim Better Roads
  • Skyrim Distant Detail - Distant Detail
  • Splash of Rain - Splash of Rain v1_051
  • Hybrids HD Plants and Herbs Retexture - Hybrids Hires Plant and Herb Retexture v4
  • Ultimate HD Torch - Ultimate HD Torch HiRes - 2048x2048