a

pxystus545

I suggest a completely fresh install of the OS(removing all partitions on the OS drive and starting over. Just installing over the current installation will retain all bloatware AFAIK). If you do that, your registry will be totally reset and therefore you will need to reinstall your games.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Okay. This was my original plan, though I was asking because I read something about it somewhere online. That's good. However, I can just move all my files to an external drive and then put them back in once the installation is complete, right?

Also, still curious if there will be any issues at all with my motherboard rejecting the new OS or something like that. 

Thanks! 

Your personal files(like music, photos, etc) can be moved back, but your game files(save for maybe your save files) will not be usable. Now, if you acquired your games via Origin, uPlay, or Steam, they may be able to work some magic to repair the installation if you copy the games into a folder and point the program(s) to the appropriate folder(s). You shouldn't have any compatibility issues with the motherboard and W8.1.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If the computer is already running on windows 8.1 and you just want to install a fresh windows 8.1, you won't have any compatibility issues. You will however, need to make sure you find the motherboard / computer's drivers online, and download them first and stick them on a flash drive or something, so after you've re-installed windows you can install all the drivers and insure everything is working correctly. 

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

If the computer is already running on windows 8.1 and you just want to install a fresh windows 8.1, you won't have any compatibility issues. You will however, need to make sure you find the motherboard / computer's drivers online, and download them first and stick them on a flash drive or something, so after you've re-installed windows you can install all the drivers and insure everything is working correctly. 

Windows 8.1 may find the drivers automatically and may also have a LAN driver ready to use. My Toshiba laptop worked out of the box with Windows 7. I didn't have to do anything.

Windows 8.1 may find the drivers automatically and may also have a LAN driver ready to use. My Toshiba laptop worked out of the box with Windows 7. I didn't have to do anything.

That is true. But I like to be safe just in case. Some things work perfectly, some don't. If your LAN doesn't work, then you're kinda screwed haha. 

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.