Best Gaming laptop for $1500

pablo-196

Hey Guys i wanted to know in your opinion, what is the best gaming laptop under $1500  ($1500 being the max). I already have a gaming rig so please avoid the trouble of telling me how gaming laptops are overpriced!! 

Hey Guys i wanted to know in your opinion, what is the best gaming laptop under $1500  ($1500 being the max). I already have a gaming rig so please avoid the trouble of telling me how gaming laptops are overpriced!! 

Asus G551.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

This only has an 860m do you think its worh it? and where is the best place to purchase?

Sager laptops are great. What are your questions about them? They are ver good bang for your buck laptops.

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

well iver heard that they arent that good and i wanted to know just a little more about them, what is the build quality and what is their cooling like?

Asus G751

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Check out the ultimate laptop buying guide in my signature .. :)

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

Clevo P650SE and P15xSM-A or a pre-built ASUS G751

They're fantastic brands, and currently the only true enthusiast-focused gaming laptop brand out there. They also don't rip you off.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Clevo P650SE and P15xSM-A or a pre-built ASUS G751

They're fantastic brands, and currently the only true enthusiast-focused gaming laptop brand out there. They also don't rip you off.

what do you mean they dont rip you off? and why are they so cheap compared to other laptops with the same components?

what do you mean they dont rip you off? and why are they so cheap compared to other laptops with the same components?

Because other laptops rip you off.

That's pretty much it. Some of the other machines have some parts better (like MSI's speakers are top notch) but it doesn't justify the sometimes $300+ USD difference in price... especially when cooling is concerned. Laptop hardware is already expensive, and people who don't know about the lesser-known clevo rebranders get ripped off a lot.

For example: I built up one machine on iBuyPower. I then built the SAME machine on XoticPC via Sager.

Both systems with the same hardware, but the iBuyPower was $1100 USD more expensive.

Why? Because iBuyPower wanted more money, and for no other reason. There's a reason you won't see me telling people to go buy Clevos from OriginPC, iBuyPower, CyberpowerPC, Digital Storm, Falcon Northwest, AvaDirect, etc. They are all selling the same computers, but Sager, and even Eurocom and Mythlogic, are all far cheaper than them. And even though Myth is more expensive than Sager, they have larger SSD selections, offer free monitor colour calibration and unlocked system BIOSes as a standard of sale.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Because other laptops rip you off.

That's pretty much it. Some of the other machines have some parts better (like MSI's speakers are top notch) but it doesn't justify the sometimes $300+ USD difference in price... especially when cooling is concerned. Laptop hardware is already expensive, and people who don't know about the lesser-known clevo rebranders get ripped off a lot.

For example: I built up one machine on iBuyPower. I then built the SAME machine on XoticPC via Sager.

Both systems with the same hardware, but the iBuyPower was $1100 USD more expensive.

Why? Because iBuyPower wanted more money, and for no other reason. There's a reason you won't see me telling people to go buy Clevos from OriginPC, iBuyPower, CyberpowerPC, Digital Storm, Falcon Northwest, AvaDirect, etc. They are all selling the same computers, but Sager, and even Eurocom and Mythlogic, are all far cheaper than them. And even though Myth is more expensive than Sager, they have larger SSD selections, offer free monitor colour calibration and unlocked system BIOSes as a standard of sale.

So which one of the sager laptops on xotic do you recommend do you have a link, thank so much for the info i think i will go with a sager. what is clevo by the way sorry if i sound like a noob :/

So which one of the sager laptops on xotic do you recommend do you have a link, thank so much for the info i think i will go with a sager. what is clevo by the way sorry if i sound like a noob :/

Clevo = ODM. They make the motherboard and chassis and order the heatsinks and whatnot.

Sager is an OEM, and a Rebrander. They purchase Clevo barebones systems and add parts to it and customize the chassis with their branding and sell it as a "Sager" laptop. Sager is open to what their machines are built off of, because Clevo is so widely used, drivers can be used between OEMs. For example, if I were to install Sager's "hotkey" software on my Mythlogic computer, it would work. Other rebranders would have you believe they designed their machines themselves, like Venom Computing of Australia (but that is false).

iBuyPower, OriginPC and the rest are also "rebranders" in the same sense as Sager is.

XoticPC is a "reseller", like LPC-Digital and Powernotebooks and Reflex Notebooks. They act as a middleman between you and Sager (and in Xotic's case, many other laptop brands like MSI) and sometimes offer options that Sager would not, and can be cheaper. They are also a method of strong-arming warranty issues, etc, so people tend to use them instead of directly using Sager.

And don't worry, you are a noob =D. But nobody seems to make these things clear very often, so I don't blame you for not knowing. Eventually, you'll stop asking "what sager model should I get" and you'll start speaking in Clevo.

Anyway, you should answer some questions first:

15" or 17"?

Do you care about absolute control over your CPU or are you fine as long as it's somewhere above 3GHz while gaming?

How much end-user elbow grease/modding are you willing to do? (it won't break warranty unless you do something like cut away part of the case)

What kind of games do you want to play?

Clevo = ODM. They make the motherboard and chassis and order the heatsinks and whatnot.

Sager is an OEM, and a Rebrander. They purchase Clevo barebones systems and add parts to it and customize the chassis with their branding and sell it as a "Sager" laptop. Sager is open to what their machines are built off of, because Clevo is so widely used, drivers can be used between OEMs. For example, if I were to install Sager's "hotkey" software on my Mythlogic computer, it would work. Other rebranders would have you believe they designed their machines themselves, like Venom Computing of Australia (but that is false).

iBuyPower, OriginPC and the rest are also "rebranders" in the same sense as Sager is.

XoticPC is a "reseller", like LPC-Digital and Powernotebooks and Reflex Notebooks. They act as a middleman between you and Sager (and in Xotic's case, many other laptop brands like MSI) and sometimes offer options that Sager would not, and can be cheaper. They are also a method of strong-arming warranty issues, etc, so people tend to use them instead of directly using Sager.

And don't worry, you are a noob =D. But nobody seems to make these things clear very often, so I don't blame you for not knowing. Eventually, you'll stop asking "what sager model should I get" and you'll start speaking in Clevo.

Anyway, you should answer some questions first:

15" or 17"?

Do you care about absolute control over your CPU or are you fine as long as it's somewhere above 3GHz while gaming?

How much end-user elbow grease/modding are you willing to do? (it won't break warranty unless you do something like cut away part of the case)

What kind of games do you want to play?

Thank you for the clear explanation and i would like to have some control over cpu but i don't think im going to be over clocking, therefore im fine with having something above 3ghz while gaming, I am pretty conf trouble taking PCs apart and putting them back together i don't mind modding a laptop at all i have done a few laptop repairs and upgrades. i like playing games like watchdogs, skyrim, dying light, total war ect.. so i would perfer something with a 970m gpu. i was thinking of the MSI GT70 dominator 2293 with 16 gb of vram http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-Dominator-2293-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00O4ORQ3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426288049&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+gt70+2293or the asus ROG G751 http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G751JT-CH71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00NVV2B98/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426288091&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+rog, but now i hear about sager and idk what to do..

Thank you for the clear explanation and i would like to have some control over cpu but i don't think im going to be over clocking, therefore im fine with having something above 3ghz while gaming, I am pretty conf trouble taking PCs apart and putting them back together i don't mind modding a laptop at all i have done a few laptop repairs and upgrades. i like playing games like watchdogs, skyrim, dying light, total war ect.. so i would perfer something with a 970m gpu. i was thinking of the MSI GT70 dominator 2293 with 16 gb of vram http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-Dominator-2293-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00O4ORQ3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426288049&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+gt70+2293or the asus ROG G751 http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G751JT-CH71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00NVV2B98/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426288091&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+rog, but now i hear about sager and idk what to do..

I would much perfer the 17", thank you for all your information and help btw!

well since you're already looking into the 17" models:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8278s-clevo-p170sma-p-6985.html?wconfigure=yes

and take the 16GB of RAM (if you want) and select the DVD burner (instead of the blu-ray drive) and it should come out to about $1478 with a cash payment (I believe credit card counts for that; you can call and ask. I know there's other "cash" payment methods)

It'll come with an SSD and a good HDD with that config, but not windows (you can install that later; it still comes with a driver/utility disc even without an OS).

Alternately:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8671-clevo-p670se-p-7799.html?wconfigure=yes

grab IC Diamond (unless you're willing to apply Gelid GC Extreme, Arctic Céramique 2 or IC Diamond yourself afterward), 16GB of RAM and a 256GB M.2 M600 SSD in the M.2 slot, and you're set. Under $1500 with cash payment.

Also, read my mobile i7 CPU guide for why I asked you about the CPU control. 

and take the 16GB of RAM (if you want) and select the DVD burner (instead of the blu-ray drive) and it should come out to about $1478 with a cash payment (I believe credit card counts for that; you can call and ask. I know there's other "cash" payment methods)

It'll come with an SSD and a good HDD with that config, but not windows (you can install that later; it still comes with a driver/utility disc even without an OS).

Alternately:

grab IC Diamond (unless you're willing to apply Gelid GC Extreme, Arctic Céramique 2 or IC Diamond yourself afterward), 16GB of RAM and a 256GB M.2 M600 SSD in the M.2 slot, and you're set. Under $1500 with cash payment.

So you would definetely go for Clevo instead if MSI, ASUS ect.. and to install the OS later how would i find the drivers to all of the components, this wouldn't bring any trouble? 

once more sorry for the noobish question but when you have a cpu that says 2.5 up to 3.5 ghz, does that mean i have to OC to reach the 3.5? GHz im a little unclear on that..

So you would definetely go for Clevo instead if MSI, ASUS ect.. and to install the OS later how would i find the drivers to all of the components, this wouldn't bring any trouble? 

Alternately:

i didnt read the driver utility part sorry... every clevo brings this cd?

once more sorry for the noobish question but when you have a cpu that says 2.5 up to 3.5 ghz, does that mean i have to OC to reach the 3.5? GHz im a little unclear on that..

Read my CPU guide in my signature.

i didnt read the driver utility part sorry... every clevo brings this cd?

Yes, every clevo (at least from Sager/Mythlogic/Eurocom) comes with this. If you get the P650SE and not the P170SM-A, you'll get it on a USB drive instead of a disc.

Read my CPU guide in my signature.

Yes, every clevo (at least from Sager/Mythlogic/Eurocom) comes with this. If you get the P650SE and not the P170SM-A, you'll get it on a USB drive instead

i think im definitely going to go with the sager 8278!