What GPU choose... GTX 970 vs 980

cardo324

Good day, I've been searching for a good performance gaming GPU, and for the long run I'll OC it with a added AiO cooling system. But here's the thing. For $200 up to $500 more what's the real difference between the 980 and 970. Other than that I think I'll choose EVGA as the GPU brand but the hard part is the different models( SC, ACX, FTW...) of each main GPU(970 and 980). So from a professional/technical/consumer experience of the vast line of products of this 2 GPU which is better for someone who wants to play AAA games possible use of 4k display(multiple if can but maybe later) and want this GPU to last at least 5 years before doing sli or OC.

I think it's pretty complex request and I understand if you can't help me but any help is humbly received.

Thanks in advance. Keep on gaming!!

I think that you should get a  980 and after 5 years you could get another.

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

The difference is not much, the 980 has a performance advantage and it has complete full speed memory while on the 970 the last .5 is slower. The 980 is A LOT more costly but if you want 4k it might be worth it.

Good day, I've been searching for a good performance gaming GPU, and for the long run I'll OC it with a added AiO cooling system. But here's the thing. For $200 up to $500 more what's the real difference between the 980 and 970. Other than that I think I'll choose EVGA as the GPU brand but the hard part is the different models( SC, ACX, FTW...) of each main GPU(970 and 980). So from a professional/technical/consumer experience of the vast line of products of this 2 GPU which is better for someone who wants to play AAA games possible use of 4k display(multiple if can but maybe later) and want this GPU to last at least 5 years before doing sli or OC.

I think it's pretty complex request and I understand if you can't help me but any help is humbly received.

Thanks in advance. Keep on gaming!!

980 FTW, ACX is just the cooler.... I'd recommend you not put an AIO on it though.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I would wait with that 4k monitors till they get more affordable. And even 2 GTX 980 probably wont be enough for 4k@stable 60fps on one monitor. Depends on the game though.

Edit: And I dont think that these 2 cards will really last 4-5 years unless you want to turn the settings down

Ironically I own a GTX 970

980 FTW, ACX is just the cooler.... I'd recommend you not put an AIO on it though.

Y? And what do you recommend.

Y? And what do you recommend.

The 980 FTW edition.

And the AIO doesn't cool the other ICs on the boards.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

The 980 FTW edition.

And the AIO doesn't cool the other ICs on the boards.

Thanks for the recommendation. So if I want to water cool the GPU I'll have to make my custom loop with its won waterblock?

If you want to go all out, then yes.

Custom loop will yield better temperatures, but is more costly.

Another option is to use Kraken G10. That should be adequate enough.

The 970 is the higher value card.  It's essentially 80% of a 980 for 60% of the cost.  Both overclock a solid 15-20% over their stock speeds.  

It really depends what you want to do with them.  If you're running 1080p either will last you just as long as the other, there's not going to be a huge difference.  980 SLI will hold up better down the road though.

If you have the money, the 980 makes more sense since you don't want to upgrade for a few years.  It has slightly longer legs, but quite frankly if you get to the point where a 970 isn't satisfactory I doubt a 980 will be much better.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti