Is an Intel Xeon better then a i5 / i7 for streaming?

Hey All!

I'm building a streaming computer to stream live video from press conferences and similar events, It will stream 1080p / 30. So there wont be much action happening so would a xeon be better then a core series CPU, (Note: This will also be running a version of Adobe Flash Media Server). I don't want to go overkill just basic and reliable. Also how much ram would be needed. The videos wont be archived through this PC but through the Video Switcher.

Thanks

JJHW149

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

The affordable Xeons are usually just the same as the i5 / i7 except without onboard GPU afaik

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

The affordable Xeons are usually just the same as the i5 / i7 except without onboard GPU afaik

Thanks, so with the reliability aspect should i go for a Xeon or Core?

Thanks, so with the reliability aspect should i go for a Xeon or Core?

It depends. What is your budget and what one are you looking at?

I'm trying to build something that can stream 1080p / 30, but the budget hasent been decided on yet. I'm guessing around 500 - 600 AUD. No gpu or case is needed. just a machine to encode live video.

The Xeons are technically worse for streaming since they don't have an iGPU which you can use Intel Quick Sync with and that is extremely handy.

But if you don't use Quick Sync, there is barely a difference.

Personally I would only get an iGPU if say you are £30/$40 off being able to afford the next processor up

(I mean their equivalents btw)

Hey All!

I'm building a streaming computer to stream live video from press conferences and similar events, It will stream 1080p / 30. So there wont be much action happening so would a xeon be better then a core series CPU, (Note: This will also be running a version of Adobe Flash Media Server). I don't want to go overkill just basic and reliable. Also how much ram would be needed. The videos wont be archived through this PC but through the Video Switcher.

I'm trying to build something that can stream 1080p / 30, but the budget hasent been decided on yet. I'm guessing around 500 - 600 AUD. No gpu or case is needed. just a machine to encode live video.

A 12-core or 16-core XEON would tear any consumer CPU apart, but as far as normal stuff goes, an i7 or the Xeons that go on consumer boards like the Xeon v1231 (I think) would be mostly the same, excepting clockspeed.

If 1080p 30fps is your intention, seeing as you live in Australia, your internet is a piece of cow dung, therefore the 4790K gets my vote. Grab it, overclock it nicely (4.6-4.8GHz would be great) and get a low-end GPU. DON'T use the iGPU; trust me. Even something like a GT450 or something would work; as long as it's DX11 compatible pretty much. It'll alleviate problems that may arise.

After you've done that, I suggest compressing the living daylights out of the footage, and understanding that you may need to change settings based on the footage you are streaming.

Do note: 720p 60fps is *MUCH* easier to encode/output than 1080p 30fps, and if playing games like Call of Duty, it might be a better idea to use the lower resolution.

*mic drop*

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The Xeons are technically worse for streaming since they don't have an iGPU which you can use Intel Quick Sync with and that is extremely handy.

Quicksync is terrible for streaming quality and you should stop recommending it to people who are considering something like a Xeon or i7 anyway.

NVENC (quicksync is similar quality)

x264 with compression

Both using 2000 bitrate, same resolution, same fps. Please watch in 720p using the HTML5 player (preferably in chrome). Raw videos were uploaded (which is why they were short)

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Quicksync is terrible for streaming quality and you should stop recommending it to people who are considering something like a Xeon or i7 anyway.

NVENC (quicksync is similar quality)

x264 with compression

Both using 2000 bitrate, same resolution, same fps. Please watch in 720p using the HTML5 player (preferably in chrome)

I use Intel Quick sync and it's fine.

x264 makes games stutter

Nvenc can't even keep a stable bit rate for me.

P.S Quicksync looked better to me in the videos...

A 12-core or 16-core XEON would tear any consumer CPU apart, but as far as normal stuff goes, an i7 or the Xeons that go on consumer boards like the Xeon v1231 (I think) would be mostly the same, excepting clockspeed.

If 1080p 30fps is your intention, seeing as you live in Australia, your internet is a piece of cow dung, therefore the 4790K gets my vote. Grab it, overclock it nicely (4.6-4.8GHz would be great) and get a low-end GPU. DON'T use the iGPU; trust me. Even something like a GT450 or something would work; as long as it's DX11 compatible pretty much. It'll alleviate problems that may arise.

After you've done that, I suggest compressing the living daylights out of the footage, and understanding that you may need to change settings based on the footage you are streaming.

Do note: 720p 60fps is *MUCH* easier to encode/output than 1080p 30fps, and if playing games like Call of Duty, it might be a better idea to use the lower resolution.

*mic drop*

For the internet connection, since this is in a event center the internet speed is 50mpbs up and down so that shoulder be a problem and does Adobe flash media encoder use that intel quick sync, the streaming box will just take in a 1080/30 video stream from a black magic ATEM television studio connected to a capture card. also the content is going to be talks not high frame rate gameplay. 

I use Intel Quick sync and it's fine.

x264 makes games stutter

Nvenc can't even keep a stable bit rate for me.

P.S Quicksync looked better to me in the videos...

More bitrate obviously helps, but it is an incredibly fast encoder. It is not useful for low-bitrate streaming (like twitch and hitbox like to ask of non-partners) and DEFINITELY not useful for an australian user.

If you found NVENC quality to look better than the x264 quality, you were watching the wrong videos.

Wanna use Shadowplay/Quicksync? Use it for recording. x264 is where you get quality.

For the internet connection, since this is in a event center the internet speed is 50mpbs up and down so that shoulder be a problem and does Adobe flash media encoder use that intel quick sync, the streaming box will just take in a 1080/30 video stream from a black magic ATEM television studio connected to a capture card. also the content is going to be talks not high frame rate gameplay. 

If you're simply streaming a talk show kind of deal, then you could probably do it on an i5 even.

I do not recommend FMLE.

If you are going to use black magic capture cards 100% of the time and have no gameplay, your best program choices are Wirecast or Xsplit for compatibility with capture cards.

In that case, you could likely get the Xeon for cheapness and I suppose quality of materials.

More bitrate obviously helps, but it is an incredibly fast encoder. It is not useful for low-bitrate streaming (like twitch and hitbox like to ask of non-partners) and DEFINITELY not useful for an australian user.

If you found NVENC quality to look better than the x264 quality, you were watching the wrong videos.

Wanna use Shadowplay/Quicksync? Use it for recording. x264 is where you get quality.

x264 is where you lose FPS.

The text looked much clearer in the shadowplay video.

Plus you can't compare an Nvidia codec to an intel intergrated graphics codec..

I use Intel Quick sync for 720p 1600 bit rate and it's fine.

x264 is where you lose FPS.

The text looked much clearer in the shadowplay video.

Plus you can't compare an Nvidia codec to an intel intergrated graphics codec..

I use Intel Quick sync for 720p 1600 bit rate and it's fine.

x264 is where you lose FPS... sure. Because of the CPU load being eaten up. Doesn't matter if you're streaming capture card footage.

Also, when turning and in motion you should have seen much grainier video that is consistent with fast compression codecs.

If you find quicksync is the best thing for you, go ahead. Doesn't mean it IS the best, and it's nowhere near the best for quality. And if you're streaming anything even close to high motion or highly detailed graphics at 720p 1600 bitrate using quicksync... I feel sorry for your viewers. Something like League of Legends won't care.

If you're simply streaming a talk show kind of deal, then you could probably do it on an i5 even.

I do not recommend FMLE.

If you are going to use black magic capture cards 100% of the time and have no gameplay, your best program choices are Wirecast or Xsplit for compatibility with capture cards.

In that case, you could likely get the Xeon for cheapness and I suppose quality of materials.

OK thanks so you think an i5 will do, also the streaming software is temporary while we figure out which is best for out application. So well take that information into account.

OK thanks so you think an i5 will do, also the streaming software is temporary while we figure out which is best for out application. So well take that information into account.

For what you're doing, you would not need a lot of compression or upload speed. Real life footage with good cameras is fairly easy to stream, for various reasons; especially more so if the footage content is mainly things like people talking and there is not a lot of movement going on. 

x264 is where you lose FPS... sure. Because of the CPU load being eaten up. Doesn't matter if you're streaming capture card footage.

Also, when turning and in motion you should have seen much grainier video that is consistent with fast compression codecs.

If you find quicksync is the best thing for you, go ahead. Doesn't mean it IS the best, and it's nowhere near the best for quality. And if you're streaming anything even close to high motion or highly detailed graphics at 720p 1600 bitrate using quicksync... I feel sorry for your viewers. Something like League of Legends won't care.

What viewers :P

What would you recommend for low bit rates then with my i5?

What viewers :P

What would you recommend for low bit rates then with my i5?

You have a 4670K. Overclock that to 4.4GHz or above and add compression. Instantly the difference will become apparent. Fast or Faster compression should help. Xsplit uses more resources than OBS, so use OBS. If your game is single-thread heavy, force OBS to the latter 3 cores and lose little FPS in-game. Try stuff.

You have a 4670K. Overclock that to 4.4GHz or above and add compression. Instantly the difference will become apparent. Fast or Faster compression should help. Xsplit uses more resources than OBS, so use OBS. If your game is single-thread heavy, force OBS to the latter 3 cores and lose little FPS in-game. Try stuff.

Huh..

Can you dumb it down for me lol

I will overclock it when I get my H110 as my thermal paste cracked and I can't find the tube :P

1. How do I add compression?
  2. How do I force cores?

1. How do I add compression?
  2. How do I force cores?

Compressed

To force affinity:

Screenshot1446.jpg

then

Screenshot1447.jpg

"Livestreaming Master" is not in my title for no reason

"Livestreaming Master" is not in my title for no reason

Why do you dislike Quick Sync?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

But if you don't use Quick Sync, there is barely a difference.

Personally I would only get an iGPU if say you are £30/$40 off being able to afford the next processor up

(I mean their equivalents btw)

I thought Quick Sync was broken? Mine drops frames all over the place anyway..

Why do you dislike Quick Sync?

Because, like NVENC and AMD's feature (which bandicam can access but I believe OBS cannot access yet; also whose name I forget), they are GPU-based, fast compression type encoders. Their objective is to get the job done with minimal stress, and while it is fine for recording purposes, it needs truly high bitrates to eke out good quality. Something that requires low bitrate amounts, like streaming, especially for un-partnered users (who cannot rely on a user simply using twitch-transcoded quality buttons to limit to 1500 bitrate or 1200 bitrate etc while they output 3500 bitrate easily). It's not always that an end-user lacks the download speed to watch high-bitrate content; sometimes they cannot download from the streaming service specifically.

For example, I could speedtest 20Mb/s down to miami, but when I download twitch footage from mia01 (their miami server) I'll buffer for 2500 bitrate sometimes. Other times I'll keep four 3500 bitrate streams open at once and no problems occur.

Anyway. Those hardware-based encoders lack the ability to pack on compression like x264 can. Anybody who is a quality hunter (which I am) should disregard them unless their hardware is exceedingly weak and they can afford to pack on the bitrate (like a user I know has an i3 and a partnership; when he streams PC games it'd be feasible for him to use 3500 upload and quicksync. When he uses console footage however, x264 is better as he has freer CPU resources on a weak CPU).