Potentially bottlenecking CPU

Hello,
as the relase of the new Witcher game is coming quite soon, and the old HD5770 in my "gaming" desktop can barely hold up The Witcher 2 at ~40fps at Low-Med. settings , Ive got to get something a bit newer into my case.
I've found that second-hand R9 280x, seems both powerfull and affordable, but I realised it may be to powerfull for my cpu to catch up . I'm speaking about AMD Phenom II B55. My chip has been unlocked to 4 cores after messing up with a bios, and overclocked to ~3.4GHz.

What do you guys think? Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU hard? Becouse replacing both of them is not an option for me right now.
Any suggestions about possible replacements would be nice too,

Thanks,
Jacob

Hello,

as the relase of the new Witcher game is coming quite soon, and the old HD5770 in my "gaming" desktop can barely hold up The Witcher 2 at ~40fps at Low-Med. settings , Ive got to get something a bit newer into my case.

I've found that second-hand R9 280x, seems both powerfull and affordable, but I realised it may be to powerfull for my cpu to catch up . I'm speaking about AMD Phenom II B55. My chip has been unlocked to 4 cores after messing up with a bios, and overclocked to ~3.4GHz.

What do you guys think? Will the CPU bottleneck the GPU hard? Becouse replacing both of them is not an option for me right now.

Any suggestions about possible replacements would be nice too,

Thanks,

Jacob

Welcome to the forum, please remember to follow your topics.

That will bottleneck pretty much any new graphics card badly. What's your budget (excluding the R9 280X)?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yes it'll bottleneck quite significantly in most demanding games, I would replace it with at least a Haswell i3, preferably a locked i5 or higher (i5-4460 for example). That being said you'll still probably get a big performance increase with the 280x.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Well the budget highly depends on the price of the GPU , as i will try hunt it on some local auctions on the best price possible.

Usually it goes for 150-170 USD in Poland (this is where I live) , and i think i can spend about 350 USD total.
Do you think i can get something interesting (motherboard + cpu ) in this price range?
BTW. i would like to ask you about your opinion about HD7970 being converted to 280X (that can be bought for 120-150 USD). I have found couple auctions with this kind of the GPU, but im not sure how does it compare with actual 280X.

Well the budget highly depends on the price of the GPU , as i will try hunt it on some local auctions on the best price possible.

Usually it goes for 150-170 USD in Poland (this is where I live) , and i think i can spend about 350 USD total.

Do you think i can get something interesting (motherboard + cpu ) in this price range?

BTW. i would like to ask you about your opinion about HD7970 being converted to 280X (that can be bought for 120-150 USD). I have found couple auctions with this kind of the GPU, but im not sure how does it compare with actual 280X.

280x is a rebranded 7970, they're basically the same thing.

You might be able to get a used 7970 and i5-4440+H81 motherboard for that budget, and it'd be an awesome combo. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

It would be cheaper for me to get an AMD procesor as i wouldnt have to replace the motherboard. What do you think about FX-6350 or FS-8320? They are quite easy to overclock and the octa-core thing sounds quite sexy ;) 

It would be cheaper for me to get an AMD procesor as i wouldnt have to replace the motherboard. What do you think about FX-6350 or FS-8320? They are quite easy to overclock and the octa-core thing sounds quite sexy ;)

TBH, the FX 8xxx series CPUs aren't actually true 8 cores, and when gaming you will not notice a difference in performance with a newer FX CPU. Go with the FX-6350 if you absolutely must stick with your current motherboard.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

the 280x is just a 7970 gigahertz edition

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things