GTX 980 and GTX 970 Dilemma

LargeBanana
Go to solution Solved by othertomperson,

I'm saying that while 2 970's > 1 980, 2 980's > 3 970's 

In a non-SLI game, 2 980's will beat 2 or 3 970's because all you will comparing would be 1 980 vs 1 970

Always buy the best single GPU you can get for your money first

There are hardly any non SLI games. You're talking about a hypothetical which is a very rare occurrence.

And, no. You are parroting something you've heard Linus say instead of actually thinking. The best solution is always to buy two of the second-best GPU. Don't get a 780 Ti, get two 780s. Don't get a 290X, get two 290s. They're nearly always based on the same exact chip, they are nearly always within 10% of eachother's performance, and one nearly always costs 150% of the price of the other.

cheapest non reference? here it's zotac lol. are you sure it's good?

won't 2 290x burn my pc? or am i being misleaded by the internet because AMD is sure cheaper than Nvidia. and if i go AMD what about the PhysX?

Zotac don't seem to be that bad, but if you want to stay among the generally more trusted MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA brands, then get whichever of those is cheapest and looks good.

As for 290Xs, you are going to need very good air-flow, yes, because non-reference GPUs can throttle in crossfire on a hot day. You are going to need to make sure they are well spaced, too, and that your PSU is up to it. It's is a solution which has drawbacks, but in performance it's basically the same as 970s in SLI.

so yeah i'm wondering, which GTX 980 is the best among all in performance, which one is the best price per performance and which one is the best value?

the same for GTX 970.

and i've been looking around and cannot find a benchmark that compare every single GTX 980 or GTX 970 against each other. and i need it to make my choice :(. any help would be appreciated.

If you want to get One 980, get Two 970's

If you can get Two 980's, get Two 980's

Because he had a hard drive.

so yeah i'm wondering, which GTX 980 is the best among all in performance, which one is the best price per performance and which one is the best value?
the same for GTX 970.

and i've been looking around and cannot find a benchmark that compare every single GTX 980 or GTX 970 against each other. and i need it to make my choice :(. any help would be appreciated.

First, I'd recommend the 970 over 980... 85% of the performance for only 60% the price.

I have EVGA 970s, and they are pretty great while clocked above 1500mhz

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Have you heard about the new r9 300 series? Maybe wait till then, to see benchmarks?

Rest in Pepperoni

Have you heard about the new r9 300 series? Maybe wait till then, to see benchmarks?

I do suggest this.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

but it's delayed again and again, also it includes a water cooling of its own which is awesome but shows volume about how hot it'll be.

You can almost get two 970's for the price of one 980.

i know but i don't know if i should go with 980 since 970 is best value per performance just like the other guy said before 85% for 60% price.

First, I'd recommend the 970 over 980... 85% of the performance for only 60% the price.

I have EVGA 970s, and they are pretty great while clocked above 1500mhz

cool  but even though you have the evga one, do you think there is another brand that is better? i'm just asking. plus which EVGA one that you have. i mean they got SC SSC and whatever else it might be.

980>2 970's IMO

Why?

Because 1. you don't have to rely on SLI support to get better-than-single-970 performance and 2. you can SLI it later for even MORE performance.  Adding another 970 on top of 2 970's won't give you anywhere near the same performance boost as adding an additional 980.

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

980>2 970's IMO

Why?

Because 1. you don't have to rely on SLI support to get better-than-single-970 performance and 2. you can SLI it later for even MORE performance.  Adding another 970 on top of 2 970's won't give you anywhere near the same performance boost as adding an additional 980.

i'm not planning to go with 2 970.

just either one of 970 or one of 980.

The undisputed king ATM is evga's kingpin 980.

Would I recommend it to anyone? Hell no. It's a card designed from the ground up for LN2 cooling. If you're not that extreme I'm hearing good reports on gigabyte's G! gaming series. They're well binned chips, and a good cooler.

As to 970/980.....I'd probably recommend the 970, unless you're 4k gaming, at which point the 500 MB less VRAM starts to hurt the 970 (Yes I know it's there, but I don't think anyone actually considers it usable)

The undisputed king ATM is evga's kingpin 980.

Would I recommend it to anyone? Hell no. It's a card designed from the ground up for LN2 cooling. If you're not that extreme I'm hearing good reports on gigabyte's G! gaming series. They're well binned chips, and a good cooler.

As to 970/980.....I'd probably recommend the 970, unless you're 4k gaming, at which point the 500 MB less VRAM starts to hurt the 970 (Yes I know it's there, but I don't think anyone actually considers it usable)

lol of course i'm not even considering kingpin xD. it's like way over budget

so for you its the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte? for both the 980 and 970?. cool. and what do you mean by good reports? does it pump more fps than the other? or what?

980>2 970's IMO

Why?

That doesn't make any sense. It's good because no SLI, and later SLI!!

Given how SLI is ubiquitous in 2015, it's not remotely an issue.

please don't argue with another opinion lol, it could start a debate, maybe you have an answer to my question?

lol of course i'm not even considering kingpin xD. it's like way over budget

so for you its the G1 Gaming from Gigabyte? for both the 980 and 970?. cool. and what do you mean by good reports? does it pump more fps than the other? or what?

Good reviews on channels I actually trust. And although the fps increase is marginal given the premium you pay, the cooler seems to be very efficient. Of course then you're stuck getting hot air out of your case, but unless you're running an ex-dell chassis that probably isn't a problem for most members of this community.

please don't argue with another opinion lol, it could start a debate, maybe you have an answer to my question?

970 SLI or 290X Crossfire are the price to performance areas right now. 980 is a waste of money, two is even moreso.

You're talking £500 for 970s/290Xs, or £400 for one 980. Denying this kind of value difference because 10 years ago SLI was a bit buggy is nonsensical.

As for which ones -- get the cheapest non-reference ones. Or whichever you think looks best. Performance difference is minimal, particularly next to price differences.

have you guys checked out the ridiculous named GTX 980/970 inno3d herculez ichill airboz ultra X4? lol

i heard it is the best gtx 980/970 in the market right now.

If you want to get One 980, get Two 970's

If you can get Two 980's, get Two 980's

100% agree. Extra points for saying it in less than 20 words.

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

In a non-SLI game, 2 980's will beat 2 or 3 970's because all you will comparing would be 1 980 vs 1 970

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

100% agree. Extra points for saying it in less than 20 words.

Thanks for the complement

getting-to-know-contributor-evan-lee-bf5

Because he had a hard drive.

970 SLI or 290X Crossfire are the price to performance areas right now. 980 is a waste of money, two is even moreso.

You're talking £500 for 970s/290Xs, or £400 for one 980. Denying this kind of value difference because 10 years ago SLI was a bit buggy is nonsensical.

As for which ones -- get the cheapest non-reference ones. Or whichever you think looks best. Performance difference is minimal, particularly next to price differences.

won't 2 290x burn my pc? or am i being misleaded by the internet because AMD is sure cheaper than Nvidia. and if i go AMD what about the PhysX?

I agree with the 290x being the price to performance king ATM. the 970 not so much. If you're running two in sli/xfire you're probably running a graphically demanding game on hi res settings, or a multi monitor setup. at which point the 970 seems to start having issues.

Having said that the 290x is a toaster oven waiting to happen. there's a reason the 290x2 cards have built in water cooling.

There are hardly any non SLI games. You're talking about a hypothetical which is a very rare occurrence.

And, no. You are parroting something you've heard Linus say instead of actually thinking. The best solution is always to buy two of the second-best GPU. Don't get a 780 Ti, get two 780s. Don't get a 290X, get two 290s. They're nearly always based on the same exact chip, they are nearly always within 10% of eachother's performance, and one nearly always costs 150% of the price of the other.

Zotac don't seem to be that bad, but if you want to stay among the generally more trusted MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA brands, then get whichever of those is cheapest and looks good.

As for 290Xs, you are going to need very good air-flow, yes, because non-reference GPUs can throttle in crossfire on a hot day. You are going to need to make sure they are well spaced, too, and that your PSU is up to it. It's is a solution which has drawbacks, but in performance it's basically the same as 970s in SLI.

lol wut

did Linus make a video comparing SLI of various cards or something lol...