AMD saying developers should focus on DX12 not Mantle

Geekio

once again i will bow to AMD for forcing the industry to take a step forward in the proper direction. I know they did not invent 64bit processors but they pushed Microsoft to develop the 64-bit architecture for windows. And now they forced Dx12 to be upon us and all mantle's improvements will be seen inside DX12 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9036/amd-lays-out-future-of-mantle-changing-direction-in-face-of-dx12-and-glnext

this is why underdogs are always needed in these industries!! 

one of the quotes i like from one of the amd reps was " MANTLE did it's job it provided users with closer to the metal performance like we see on consoles. Our goal with Mantle was to prove to the PC industry there is optimizations beyond new hardware that need's to be addressed".

But one drawback from what they ended up doing was any PC game developer now had to choose if they wanted to support mantle and not only that it actually made coding for pc more frustrating during the 1 year mantle was strong and around because a bigger team was needed to develop for both engines. This was not part of AMD's plan they wanna make gaming easier not more difficult so they decided to say DEV's please now focus on DX12. 

I believe the biggest case of were dual engine development screwed a company in the ass is with EA with there frostbite engine. Bf4 had direct x crashes when it 1st came out and now Dragon age inquisition also suffers from direct x crashes. Because they spent alot of time doing proper mantle support and guess what dx11 wasn't treated with the same fidelity as mantle's engine was. Yes the new frostbite engine has it's flaws as well but it stands to show that there wasn't nearly as many mantle related crashing reports as direct X based crashing going on.

i thought thats a given by now.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I like that they've admited defeat... sort of

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

amd > Nvidia

and i still keep buying nvidia cards. i should change that.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Mantle: "GG @ 20minutes guys, it's over."

AMD: "No, not yet... DX12 just came out of the jungle to gank"

Eh, nice move. Can't wait for dx12 honestly, want to be able to see what sort of improvements we get in real world scenarios. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

It's just nice for those who aren't aware investing in a graphics card dosen't mean hmmmmmmmmmmmm which API do i wanna use now. a year ago if you wanted mantle support you had to buy AMDcard or build a stupid monster rig like Linus did with nvidia and AMD to get mantle and phyx or sheild streaming lol. This just makes gpu purchasing a more simple clear investment. Albeit now i guess Nvidia cards have a trump card again ( phyx not so much but game stream for those with shield devices ) 

I like that they've admited defeat... sort of

I don't think AMD ever wanted to be an API maker, mantle accomplished what they wanted it to do, no reason to continue support for it now.

What are developpers?

Update:

... and the OP instead of raging corrects the mistake and cares.  OP is awesome.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S