Budget gaming build for a friend

Hello!

This is my first time posting on the forums, so please forgive/correct any formatting or post placement errors.

I'm helping a friend of mine build a computer over the summer, he wants to use it both for schoolwork (we're in college) and for gaming.  He usually has a multitude of programs and tabs open for productivity on two monitors.  Given a budget of $1200, I wanted to keep the actual tower itself under $1000 to leave room for an operating system and keyboard as he already has a monitor and mouse.

Here's the link to the parts list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VkKdwP

I was considering putting in a 970 instead of a 960, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price jump given the budget.  1TB should be more than enough storage for him given that he's only used 100GB on his laptop as of this moment and I believe 128GB should be a large enough SSD for the boot drive with extra space for a few games or core programs.  My concerns lay with the case and partially with the motherboard.  He's not concerned with aesthetics so I tried to find a case that focused on functionality, but would still look nice.  From everything that I can tell, the motherboard should be just fine for his needs but I don't claim to be an expert on motherboards.  Given how many programs he likes to have open at once, we may add another 8GB sometime in the future if 8GB isn't enough but for now we'll stick with 8GB.

Any suggestions/critiques would be greatly appreciated!

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.98 @ Newegg) 

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($333.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $859.87

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 12:28 EST-0500

Hello!

This is my first time posting on the forums, so please forgive/correct any formatting or post placement errors.

I'm helping a friend of mine build a computer over the summer, he wants to use it both for schoolwork (we're in college) and for gaming.  He usually has a multitude of programs and tabs open for productivity on two monitors.  Given a budget of $1200, I wanted to keep the actual tower itself under $1000 to leave room for an operating system and keyboard as he already has a monitor and mouse.

Here's the link to the parts list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VkKdwP

I was considering putting in a 970 instead of a 960, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price jump given the budget.  1TB should be more than enough storage for him given that he's only used 100GB on his laptop as of this moment and I believe 128GB should be a large enough SSD for the boot drive with extra space for a few games or core programs.  My concerns lay with the case and partially with the motherboard.  He's not concerned with aesthetics so I tried to find a case that focused on functionality, but would still look nice.  From everything that I can tell, the motherboard should be just fine for his needs but I don't claim to be an expert on motherboards.  Given how many programs he likes to have open at once, we may add another 8GB sometime in the future if 8GB isn't enough but for now we'll stick with 8GB.

Any suggestions/critiques would be greatly appreciated!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($222.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($333.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1003.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 13:59 EST-0500

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($222.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.98 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1003.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 13:59 EST-0500

Any reason in particular that motherboard would be a better option for the extra $25?  I see that it supports SLI but I really don't need that for this build.

Thanks for the case suggestion, that looks more than sufficient for what I would need and I like that it has a fan filter for the PSU, but there isn't a fan filter on the front.  Is there some sort of solution or part I could buy to help with filtration?

Also, wouldn't 750W be a bit excessive?

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($333.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $859.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 12:28 EST-0500

No offense, but I'm not exactly interested in working with a Micro ATX motherboard given that I don't have too much experience building computers and would prefer something more standard.  Given that the Xeon and 4690k are around the same price point, would the Xeon be able to keep up in gaming?

No offense, but I'm not exactly interested in working with a Micro ATX motherboard given that I don't have too much experience building computers and would prefer something more standard.  Given that the Xeon and 4690k are around the same price point, would the Xeon be able to keep up in gaming?

The Xeon is adivisable since DX 12 wil support better threading , is equivalent to an i7 4770 in gaming.

Let me just adjust the build.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $867.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 14:13 EST-0500

The Xeon is adivisable since DX 12 wil support better threading , is equivalent to an i7 4770 in gaming.

Let me just adjust the build.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $867.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 14:13 EST-0500

Oh, I hadn't considered DX12, thanks for the help!

Hm, H81 doesn't support overclocking, does it?  In line with overclocking, I would need an aftermarket cooler as well, correct?

Any reason in particular that motherboard would be a better option for the extra $25?  I see that it supports SLI but I really don't need that for this build.

Thanks for the case suggestion, that looks more than sufficient for what I would need and I like that it has a fan filter for the PSU, but there isn't a fan filter on the front.  Is there some sort of solution or part I could buy to help with filtration?

Also, wouldn't 750W be a bit excessive?

The SLI Support and PSU is mainly for future proof, so in the future you can add another 970 without any problem. Beside a 500W is too close for comfort to me. The price is the same anyway isnt it :P

Another reason I choose MSI mobo is because I like the look of it, guess it doesnt really matter to you so if you are 100% sure you will never do SLI then go for your mobo and psu. 

Dust filter usually isnt that much of a problem, but if you want you can just buy some ... how do you call it in English? heck I dont even know how to call it in my mother language... you know... the long stocking for women? that one is surprisingly a good dust filter, and cheap too. 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

That cpu is locked , H81 only supports pentium K oc.

From what I understand, that means the Xeon isn't overclockable in that setup?  Would I even need to overclock it compared to an OC'ed 4690k?

From what I understand, that means the Xeon isn't overclockable in that setup?  Would I even need to overclock it compared to an OC'ed 4690k?

You wont be able to OC it even.

In games that scale over 4 threads a xeon is faster than a oced 4690k easily.

You will also be able to use your pc for much more things in the future , video editing , rendering.

Its just much more flexible and more "future foward".

Eh.

The SLI Support and PSU is mainly for future proof, so in the future you can add another 970 without any problem. Beside a 500W is too close for comfort to me. The price is the same anyway isnt it :P

Another reason I choose MSI mobo is because I like the look of it, guess it doesnt really matter to you so if you are 100% sure you will never do SLI then go for your mobo and psu. 

Dust filter usually isnt that much of a problem, but if you want you can just buy some ... how do you call it in English? heck I dont even know how to call it in my mother language... you know... the long stocking for women? that one is surprisingly a good dust filter, and cheap too. 

I suppose future proof would make sense given that the pricing isn't too different.  Thanks for the input on the filters, I wasn't sure if they were necessary but they always sound like a good idea.

Quick question, I noticed both you and Zappian chose 2x4 memory rather than 1x8, is there an advantage to having two sticks rather than one?

You wont be able to OC it even.

In games that scale over 4 threads a xeon is faster than a oced 4690k easily.

You will also be able to use your pc for much more things in the future , video editing , rendering.

Its just much more flexible and more "future foward".

Eh.

Given both your suggestions, how does this look?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xnDT3C

It's a little more expensive than it originally was but I like the improvements.  Are there any inconsistencies or things I should change?

I suppose future proof would make sense given that the pricing isn't too different.  Thanks for the input on the filters, I wasn't sure if they were necessary but they always sound like a good idea.

Quick question, I noticed both you and Zappian chose 2x4 memory rather than 1x8, is there an advantage to having two sticks rather than one?

Google Dual Channel memory and you will see. It's sort of like if you have 8gb of Ram in only 1 stick, you only pour data into in through 1 channel, but if you divided it into 2 4GB pool then you can input twice as much data in at the same time. 

It's better to run dual channel than single channel of RAM, even if its cheaper.

Everything in the whole build is decent but I would like to add some touches to this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($222.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($73.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $895.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 14:49 EST-0500

You never want to cheap out on the power supply, nor the motherboard. However you can change the motherboard to a cheaper Z97, A Z87 or a H97 motherboard if your friend just wants to overclock and not SLI.

Given both your suggestions, how does this look?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xnDT3C

It's a little more expensive than it originally was but I like the improvements.  Are there any inconsistencies or things I should change?

With that motherboard you wont be able to do either SLI or Crossfire so the future proof in that aspect just gone. Also dont get that mobo even if you never want SLI/Crossfire, it dont have a USB 3.0 header for the front panel but your case have the USB 3.0 on it.

And what happen with the HDD?

With that motherboard you wont be able to do either SLI or Crossfire so the future proof in that aspect just gone. Also dont get that mobo even if you never want SLI/Crossfire, it dont have a USB 3.0 header for the front panel but your case have the USB 3.0 on it.

And what happen with the HDD?

Oh, I guess I didn't look into it enough.  Didn't notice that it didn't have 3.0, that's kind of important.  As for the HDD, well I could have sworn I had one in there.  How's this?  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/shfCvK

The final(?) product:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bqtRhM

Seem good to me :P The thermal paste is not needed though, the preapplied one on the 212 EVO should already be good enough.

Also I still think getting a Mobo that support SLI is better, but it's totally up to you :P

Seem good to me :P The thermal paste is not needed though, the preapplied one on the 212 EVO should already be good enough.

Also I still think getting a Mobo that support SLI is better, but it's totally up to you :P

Was not aware it came with paste pre-applied, good to know.

I'm going to leave the decision of the motherboard up to my friend depending if he wants SLI support (After I explain what that is :P) or not for the extra $50 or so.  I'm guessing he will but I said I would keep the price around $1000 or under so I don't want to go over if I don't have to.

Thanks to everyone for all their help, it turned out slightly different than I was expecting in a good way!

Only gaming?

No Livestreaming, videoediting or photoshop?

Possibly photoshop and maybe someday video-editing (he doesn't currently do that but might), but definitely no livestreaming.

Possibly photoshop and maybe someday video-editing (he doesn't currently do that but might), but definitely no livestreaming.

If you are going to use photoshop/editing please for the love of God get yourself a xeon E3.

It has 8 threads and it is MUCH better at that purpose.

If you are going to use photoshop/editing please for the love of God get yourself a xeon E3.

It has 8 threads and it is MUCH better at that purpose.

While this is true... it also depend on how heavy the rendering work will be like. For school stuff and even small company size work, I dont think it matter that much :P