Advice on my network

Hello,

I need some advice on my current network.

My ISP installed a Thomson TG784n router at my home.

Frankly, this thing is slow it hurts.

Entering its own GUI is a pain, and it take ages to change the wireless channel.

I wanted to have a FTP server at home, so I put together the two things and bought a Xiaomi Mi Router.

It is a AC1200 router with a built-in 1TB HDD, that runs a custom version of OpenWRT, which can run applications on it and it is very customizable.

The firmware gets update, at least, one time per month.

The only problem is that the GUI is in Chinese only, but Google Chrome helps me on translating everything automatically.

My ISP uses VLAN tagging in order to prioritize the packets - to increase quality on IPTV and VoIP - and has a system behind the ONT that catches and memorizes the MAC address.

It is a DHCP server, but the IP address only change on a couple of months basis.

The MAC address issue can be worked around, since there is a link to unlock the current MA address, and the system will lock the new one automatically.

But what about VLAN tagging?!

My question is:

Can I connect the Xiaomi Mi Router directly to the ONT, and then connect the Thomson to it through LAN?

Or will I have problems with the VLAN tagging or IGMP snooping?

This way I would not need the Thomson to access the internet, making things more direct.

Always willing to help :)

From Portugal with love.

First off, I would suggest turning off the ISP router's wireless (They tend to suck). If the Vlan tagging is for your phone line, then you should be alright with that. It should't affect the other router. Some ISP Routers require you to put in the MAC address of your personal wireless router, to set it to use that for wireless instead of the one they set for you. That should be the easy workaround for the MAC address. 

Overall I don't see any conflicts between the routers, they should work through the LAN. What I'm seeing here is you just want to connect up a router, which should obtain everything through DHCP. I would give it a shot, and see how everything goes, and then post on if it worked.