Need mor LAN ports

Axel Sypkens Smit
Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

A hub

Thanks! feel kind of silly now haha

Just going to point out that if you are going to be adding alot more devices a hub will not be ideal and may slow things down. A switch would be a much better option.

The difference between a hub and a switch:

Hub = one collision domain, one message in one port gets forwarded out all the other ports (so each device has to process every packet on the network to discover if its for them or not, as you can imagine in a larger network this will become a real issue) Also there is a security risk if every devices receives all packets.

switch = each port is one collision domain, one message in will only be forwarded to the correct port out (Switches hold a MAC address table so it knows where each packet is going to and from) This means no security risk and no packet storms of messages from every device to every other device.

----

Most of this wont apply to you (like security issues) but now you know the difference :D

Hi I am in need of more lan ports.

Is there a device I can place after my router to get more lan ports or do I have to get a different router?

Thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

A hub

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 RAM: 16 GB GeIL Dragon 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 770OC 2GB Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D Storage: 1TB WD, Blue, 120GB, munch ssd PSU: 600w Corsair 

Display: aoc tn something, Dell ips U24..  Keyboard: CM storm quickfire xt Brown switches Mouse: Logitech G502, Pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8CBWjX

Dont worry i didnt know a hub even existed a few months ago

I didn't know what to put here...

or switch

Switch will be faster when multiple PCs are connected

A hub

Just going to point out that if you are going to be adding alot more devices a hub will not be ideal and may slow things down. A switch would be a much better option.

The difference between a hub and a switch:

Hub = one collision domain, one message in one port gets forwarded out all the other ports (so each device has to process every packet on the network to discover if its for them or not, as you can imagine in a larger network this will become a real issue) Also there is a security risk if every devices receives all packets.

switch = each port is one collision domain, one message in will only be forwarded to the correct port out (Switches hold a MAC address table so it knows where each packet is going to and from) This means no security risk and no packet storms of messages from every device to every other device.

----

Most of this wont apply to you (like security issues) but now you know the difference :D

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)