System build questions.

itainted
Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

Your GPU is limiting you.

Hi guys, i have a few questions to ask, first after watching scrapyard wars, i did a firestrike benchmark on my system build as well but to my surprise my system actually has lower FPS then linus Q6600 system. My system spec is as followed:

MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX + Core i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz

Noctua U9B SE2 heat sink cooler

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 2x 4GB ram

MSI GTX 750Ti OC edition 2GB

Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB

Samsung HDD 1.5TB

Seasonic 1050w modular 80+ gold psu

The system is also overclocked using the MSI onboard OC genie button. For the score i got from firestrike benchmark is around 4000+. Should i be getting this marks or i should be having higher benchmark scorepoints?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Really? What would be the recommended GPU for this system build? So far i don't have much difficulty with games though. With the MSI gaming app my gpu performance boost up to 1241Mhz. But i have not done the benchmark test with the gaming app running, would it increase the score by a little or will it stay just the same? currently not at home to test the system..

that benchmarking system is mainly GPU dependant

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Look up 3Dmark CPU results for the Q6600 and then your CPU, your CPU is smashing it.

It's the GPU power you have thats the limiting factor.

ANY GPU is perfect for your machine it will not hamper any GPU.

Want Extreme go the GTX 980, it won't be limited by your machine either.

Cheaper alternative, GTX 970/R9-290/X

Basically, you CAN put the best of the best in there, and be fine.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Really? What would be the recommended GPU for this system build? So far i don't have much difficulty with games though. With the MSI gaming app my gpu performance boost up to 1241Mhz. But i have not done the benchmark test with the gaming app running, would it increase the score by a little or will it stay just the same? currently not at home to test the system..

Recommended GPU? Anywhere between a R9 280 and two 980's, it's a really versatile CPU. The reason I wouldn't go with anything lower than a 280 is because you could get a locked i5 and a higher tier GPU for the same price as a 4690k and lower tiered GPU and it'll perform better.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Look up 3Dmark CPU results for the Q6600 and then your CPU, your CPU is smashing it.

It's the GPU power you have thats the limiting factor.

ANY GPU is perfect for your machine it will not hamper any GPU.

Want Extreme go the GTX 980, it won't be limited by your machine either.

Cheaper alternative, GTX 970/R9-290/X

Basically, you CAN put the best of the best in there, and be fine.

Recommended GPU? Anywhere between a R9 280 and two 980's, it's a really versatile CPU. The reason I wouldn't go with anything lower than a 280 is because you could get a locked i5 and a higher tier GPU for the same price as a 4690k and lower tiered GPU and it'll perform better.

So basically the build itself is good except for the GPU, for GPU is it better not to get the Ti version or still depends? gtx 760 2GB or R9 280 3GB?

So basically the build itself is good except for the GPU, for GPU is it better not to get the Ti version or still depends? gtx 760 2GB or R9 280 3GB?

280 > 760 because it is a little more powerful but also has 50% more vram which comes in handy with unoptimized or high texture games like SoM.

Ti versions are always (to my knowledge) better than the non ti version. 

With that said, if you feel like you don't need to upgrade then don't. The 750ti should do great for lighter games/lower details on intensive games but if you want to play new AAA titles maxed out/higher settings then you'll definitely want to upgrade. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

If you are playing all of your games just fine, there is no reason to upgrade.  I only encourage people to upgrade when they are unhappy with their performance.

I wouldn't invest in a GPU that has less than 3GB of VRAM.  As a minimum, you should be looking at an R9 280, but I would recommend saving up more money to get something like a R9 290 or 970, that is if you are unhappy with your current performance.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

that benchmarking system is mainly GPU dependant

Ya... which is why I said his GPU is limiting him.  The GPUs used in Scrapyard wars are more powerful than the 750Ti.

If you are playing all of your games just fine, there is no reason to upgrade.  I only encourage people to upgrade when they are unhappy with their performance.

I wouldn't invest in a GPU that has less than 3GB of VRAM.  As a minimum, you should be looking at an R9 280, but I would recommend saving up more money to get something like a R9 290 or 970, that is if you are unhappy with your current performance.

which of these cards perform better? R9 290 and the GTX 970. Also heard there are issues with the 970s card so i was kinda skeptical to upgrade to a 970. Any brand that gives better performance like ASUS, MSI, PALIT, GIGABYTE, LEADTEK, SAPPHIRE, POWERCOLOR and ZOTAC. These are the brands that my country carries.

which of these cards perform better? R9 290 and the GTX 970. Also heard there are issues with the 970s card so i was kinda skeptical to upgrade to a 970. Any brand that gives better performance like ASUS, MSI, PALIT, GIGABYTE, LEADTEK, SAPPHIRE, POWERCOLOR and ZOTAC. These are the brands that my country carries.

The 970s are fine to be honest.  Its a lot of overblown whooey.  I mean, yea, they were slightly deceitful in their marketing, but the benchmark results don't lie, and that is what everyone based their purchase decision on.  For $330, you won't find a better card than the 970, and it is really a phenomenal card.  Look into the EVGA Super Superclocked 970.  EVGA SSC GTX 970.

The 970s are fine to be honest.  Its a lot of overblown whooey.  I mean, yea, they were slightly deceitful in their marketing, but the benchmark results don't lie, and that is what everyone based their purchase decision on.  For $330, you won't find a better card than the 970, and it is really a phenomenal card.  Look into the EVGA Super Superclocked 970.  EVGA SSC GTX 970.

True that, will consider getting 970s, kinda sad that my area doesn't carry any EVGA cards reason were unknown as well. In normal gaming experience, is OC really needed for the CPU or is it just okay to let it run at default setting? i wonder about this very often.

In SGD it's gonna cost me:

Asus GTX 970 4GB Strix $589

MSI GTX 970 4GB Armor O.C $499

MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming O.C $579

MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming Gold Edition $639

Side note, LOVE this community, fast answer received off the bat. AWESOME!!

True that, will consider getting 970s, kinda sad that my area doesn't carry any EVGA cards reason were unknown as well. In normal gaming experience, is OC really needed for the CPU or is it just okay to let it run at default setting? i wonder about this very often.

In SGD it's gonna cost me:

Asus GTX 970 4GB Strix $589

MSI GTX 970 4GB Armor O.C $499

MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming O.C $579

MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming Gold Edition $639

Side note, LOVE this community, fast answer received off the bat. AWESOME!!

OC is not necessary, but I recommend you buy OC-able components.  Having overclockable components, even if not overclocked from day one, will help prolong the useful life of your system.  For instance, people who own i5-2500s and i5-2500ks.  The people with i5-2500s have had to upgrade already, whereas those who own i5-2500ks are still rocking because they are able to overclock and get performance equal to more modern CPUs. 

Go for the MSI 970 Armor O.C.  No reason to pay extra.  Its all the same GPU.

Yea, the community is fantastic aside from a few rotten trolls.  I came to this forum seeking help, and was treated really well, so I stuck around, hope you do the same!

OC is not necessary, but I recommend you buy OC-able components.  Having overclockable components, even if not overclocked from day one, will help prolong the useful life of your system.  For instance, people who own i5-2500s and i5-2500ks.  The people with i5-2500s have had to upgrade already, whereas those who own i5-2500ks are still rocking because they are able to overclock and get performance equal to more modern CPUs. 

Go for the MSI 970 Armor O.C.  No reason to pay extra.  Its all the same GPU.

Yea, the community is fantastic aside from a few rotten trolls.  I came to this forum seeking help, and was treated really well, so I stuck around, hope you do the same!

Understand now. So i shall stop OC-ing my core now to save extra thermal compound over the years haha!!  Another question, my lucid virtual mvp doesn't seem to be working as well, any idea the cause of it, will it be a big deal without it? 

No matter where it is, there will always be some of the bad sides ehh.. yea will stick around pretty awesome place!

Understand now. So i shall stop OC-ing my core now to save extra thermal compound over the years haha!!  Another question, my lucid virtual mvp doesn't seem to be working as well, any idea the cause of it, will it be a big deal without it? 

No matter where it is, there will always be some of the bad sides ehh.. yea will stick around pretty awesome place!

Nah, keep your OC, not sure what you mean by saving thermal compound?  What is Lucid Virtual MVP?  Never heard of that before.

Nah, keep your OC, not sure what you mean by saving thermal compound?  What is Lucid Virtual MVP?  Never heard of that before.

Don't have to replace the thermal compound few years down the road. Got the name wrong, its called Lucid Virtu MVP.

The link:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/gigabyte/lucid-virtu-mvp-what-it-is-and-why-youll-want-it-on-your-motherboard/10150643214844446

Lols never mind.. Just read it and felt that is a big issue with having it or not..