X99 EVGA Classified dual x16 vs dual x8 PCI-E

Alright, so I have the Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler and I didn't account for how it would probably restrict me from using the top PCI-E X16 slot.  I'm running a 5930k with a single Strix 980 at the moment, but I'll be purchasing another 980 soon.  If I want dual x16 performance I need to be able to use the #1 and #4 PCI-E slots, but of course right now the #1 is blocked by the D15 cooler.  If I decide to keep the cooler is X8 going to hurt me that bad in the end?  I feel like I already know the answer but I figured screw it I'll see what the community thinks.

I do gaming, development with different engines (school) (quadro build coming soon), do CAD work (career), I use F@H, as well as many other things. 

I don't plan to go any higher than dual SLI, unless I get a good reason to of course.

Alright, so I have the Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler and I didn't account for how it would probably restrict me from using the top PCI-E X16 slot.  I'm running a 5930k with a single Strix 980 at the moment, but I'll be purchasing another 980 soon.  If I want dual x16 performance I need to be able to use the #1 and #4 PCI-E slots, but of course right now the #1 is blocked by the D15 cooler.  If I decide to keep the cooler is X8 going to hurt me that bad in the end?  I feel like I already know the answer but I figured screw it I'll see what the community thinks.

I do gaming, development with different engines (school) (quadro build coming soon), do CAD work (career), I use F@H, as well as many other things. 

I don't plan to go any higher than dual SLI, unless I get a good reason to of course.

youll be fine. my 7970 is running at 2.0 4x and barely bottlnecks. 3.0 8x has literally no impact on anything I believe.