Intel Core i7 4790k vs. AMD FX-9590

But my point is, if you are a 4k gamer, i think you should also take a 290X in concideration.

290 CF is by far the current most cost effective 4K option.  Scales up better than the 970 to 4K, can be had for around $550-600 or less if you get a good sale.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

If rendering is really important, than an i7. If not an i7, then a Xeon with hyperthreading. Not all Xeons have HT, so check before you buy.

Ok. I think I'm going to go with the i7 for better rendering and some gaming improvement. 

One more thing - for my GPU, how does the AMD R9 295x2 sound? It's going for about $600 on Newegg. I think it is about the same as two 980's in SLI, and is a heck of a lot cheaper. 

EDIT: Does my case (NZXT S340) support that long of a card? And what PSU do you recommend for that card, seeing as if you don't have the correct 8-pin PCIe connectors, it can cause a fire.

PCpartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zQFqXL

Current System: CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4.6 GHz @ 1.28 volts | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz + G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1866 MHz (Total RAM: 24GB) | Cooling: Corsair H100i | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! | Storage: WD Black 1TB + Samsung 960 EVO 500GB + SanDisk 500GB SSD + WD Blue 4TB + Seagate 2TB External + Rosewill 3TB External | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Planned Upgrades: No idea

Ok. I think I'm going to go with the i7 for better rendering and some gaming improvement.

One more thing - for my GPU, how does the AMD R9 295x2 sound? It's going for about $600 on Newegg. I think it is about the same as two 980's in SLI, and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

EDIT: Does my case (NZXT S340) support that long of a card? And what PSU do you recommend for that card, seeing as if you don't have the correct 8-pin PCIe connectors, it can cause a fire.

PCpartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zQFqXL

Let me answer tou better when im at my computer. Replying via phone is hard

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'll just leave this here. Guy with experience with both platforms, unbiased and lots of real-world usages explained.

Lots of real world uses explained? By lots, you mean BF4? I made the same switch as he did and i noticed a difference in virtually everything. Especially MMO's. 

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Lots of real world uses explained? By lots, you mean BF4? I made the same switch as he did and i noticed a difference in virtually everything. Especially MMO's. 

He explained how he used more than just BF4... That just happened to be the game he was playing while recording this video. Lots of MMOs are terribly optimized for multiple cores and run better on intel CPUs

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

He explained how he used more than just BF4... That just happened to be the game he was playing while recording this video. Lots of MMOs are terribly optimized for multiple cores and run better on intel CPUs

He proved nothing in the video. That is my point. He talked and stated an opinion while playing a game. There was nothing to pay attention to because his data consisted of him just talking. Sooo much information exists that proves him wrong.

He proved nothing in the video. That is my point. He talked and stated an opinion while playing a game. There was nothing to pay attention to because his data consisted of him just talking. Sooo much information exists that proves him wrong.

He was explaining his optinion on how the upgrade from AMD vs Intel was not worthwhile in his experience for the money... Obviously the i7 is better, everybody knows that. AMD is headed in the wrong direction, instead of working on per-core performance and making new architectures they're just shoving more cores in and cranking up the clock speed. You shouldn't have to ship a CPU with water cooling that doesn't perform as well as an i7 on stock air. IMO the FX-9xxxx were a mistake because they don't even really hit a good price-performance ratio...

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

So does anyone know how the XFX R9 295x2 stacks up against two 970's? I'm thinking very hard about this and don't want to make the wrong decision because I game on a Samsung 40" 4K TV. I want something powerful enough to play any game maxed out at 4K w/out any FPS drops or anything like that. 

Current System: CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4.6 GHz @ 1.28 volts | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz + G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1866 MHz (Total RAM: 24GB) | Cooling: Corsair H100i | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! | Storage: WD Black 1TB + Samsung 960 EVO 500GB + SanDisk 500GB SSD + WD Blue 4TB + Seagate 2TB External + Rosewill 3TB External | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: NZXT S340 Elite

So does anyone know how the XFX R9 295x2 stacks up against two 970's? I'm thinking very hard about this and don't want to make the wrong decision because I game on a Samsung 40" 4K TV. I want something powerful enough to play any game maxed out at 4K w/out any FPS drops or anything like that. 

2 x 970's isnt a good 4k solution. They are not powerful enough imo. Unless you play with settings turned down.

R9 295X2 ...hands down...or even dual R9 290X in crossfire (cheaper, pick cards with a good cooling solution such as the sapphire tri-X or gigabyte windforce cards.)

But you know...even with dual GTX 980 in SLI you still have to fiddle in the settings to get 60FPS...and many times you just cant run anything more than medium settings and no AA...4K is extremely demanding.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

He was explaining his optinion on how the upgrade from AMD vs Intel was not worthwhile in his experience for the money... Obviously the i7 is better, everybody knows that. AMD is headed in the wrong direction, instead of working on per-core performance and making new architectures they're just shoving more cores in and cranking up the clock speed. You shouldn't have to ship a CPU with water cooling that doesn't perform as well as an i7 on stock air. IMO the FX-9xxxx were a mistake because they don't even really hit a good price-performance ratio...

His opinion doesn't matter, your opinion doesn't matter, my opinion doesn't matter. No ones opinion matters on this subject. There is scientific evidence that proves a locked i5 massively outperforms anything FX has to offer. You don't need an i7. Stop this. When I hear you talk, it is the equivalent of you saying the earth is flat when it has been proven to be round.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Jayz is a good guy, i love his videos, he is very knowledgeable on GPU and water cooling...but when it comes to CPU he does not show any real interest (often getting the CPU naming wrong...not really knowing much about them in general when it comes to gaming) and as the other's have mentionned this guy is a battlefield junky and his ''experience'' seem to be based a lot around that particular game in which the AMD FX indeed does perform quite well (not the case for MANY other AAA titles)

I personally made this upgrade last year from a 4.6GHZ FX-8320 to a 4.2ghz intel haswell i7-4770K, and when it comes to gaming it's worth it for many games, and it won't change much for many others as well...but if ANYBODY is in the market for a new CPU, at this point in time the AMD FX is not even an option as even an i3-4150 outperform AMD'S flagship CPU's in most games...a locked i5-4460 and a cheap H97 motherboard is a much better choice for gamers.

If the i5-4690K and Z97 motherboard is within budget, then this is an even better choice...and if money is really not that much of a concern and the user already plan on buying an high-end GPU to pair with it (GTX 970, R9 290 or better) then the i7-4790K is also a good pick that will most likely last a little longer and offer slightly better performance throughout it's relevancy.

TLDR: when it comes to gaming, you really don't need the i7-4790K to beat the FX-9590...the i5-4440 and the cheapest H81 motherboard will do that handily in each and every single games out there.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

R9 295X2 ...hands down...or even dual R9 290X in crossfire (cheaper, pick cards with a good cooling solution such as the sapphire tri-X or gigabyte windforce cards.)

But you know...even with dual GTX 980 in SLI you still have to fiddle in the settings to get 60FPS...and many times you just cant run anything more than medium settings and no AA...4K is extremely demanding.

Ok. I'm going to go with the R9 295X2. What PSU do you recommend for this? Linus made a video about this card, and he said that if you don't have the correct 8-pin PCIe power connectors, you could have a fire!!!!!

you could have a fire!!!!!

BREAK OUT THE MARSHMALLOWS!

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Also, would I be able to pair this card up with a Vapor-X, seeing as the R9 295X2 is just 2 x R9 290X in crossfire in the first place?

BREAK OUT THE MARSHMALLOWS!

Lol

Does anyone know what the difference between the XFX R9 295X2, the Sapphire edition, and the Diamond edition? The XFX is the cheapest (by about $400), but I'm wondering if there's a reason why?

Does anyone know what the difference between the XFX R9 295X2, the Sapphire edition, and the Diamond edition? The XFX is the cheapest (by about $400), but I'm wondering if there's a reason why?

XFX has pretty shit coolers. Their double dissipation edition cards sucked ass and the fans died real fast.

Don't cheap out on it.

No it's the same thing, pick the cheapest.

XFX has pretty shit coolers. Their double dissipation edition cards sucked ass and the fans died real fast.

Don't cheap out on it.

Do you really think they would drop in the DD on a R9 295X2 which is a dual full fledged Hawaii GPU?..it's the same watercooling that is the reference AMD design like every other R9 295X2

No it's the same thing, pick the cheapest.

Do you really think they would drop in the DD on a R9 295X2 which is a dual full fledged Hawaii GPU?..it's the same watercooling that is the reference AMD design like every other R9 295X2

I was making a point that everything XFX has done so far in GPU designs has been rather shite.

what is it with this board and the AMD vs Intel Threads 

jesus you people are stupid

intel = fast,expensive

amd =cheap,slow

its that fucking simple really it is ... 

I was making a point that everything XFX has done so far in GPU designs has been rather shite.

1st: That's not true at all...citation needed.

2nd: this is a reference design product 100% and it won't differ in any way from any other R9 295X2 out there

3rd: it would be much cheaper for OP to buy two R9 290X and run them in crossfire, which would give him the same performance :)

1st: That's not true at all...citation needed.

2nd: this is a reference design product 100% and it won't differ in any way from any other R9 295X2 out there

3rd: it would be much cheaper for OP to buy two R9 290X and run them in crossfire, which would give him the same performance :)

Sure its the same GPU but what about power phases? Caps? VRM's? Backplate?

Are we talking about 4k or what?.

Because at 4k you will be fully GPU limmited in allmost every game.

So the cpu will be less of a concern exaly.

I would still recommend an intel cpu nowdays if you can afford.

Because "i personaly" dont see much reasons to invest in a 3 year old dead platform anymore.

But dont expect major improvements on 4k with an intel cpu, because you will get GPU limmited anyways.

Sure its the same GPU but what about power phases? Caps? VRM's? Backplate?

it's a REFERENCE DESIGN PRODUCT from beginning to end...how many times will i have to phrase it diferently for you to understand?!

!snip

!snip

i think the CPU question has been answered in page 1 and 2...

it's a REFERENCE DESIGN PRODUCT from beginning to end...how many times will i have to phrase it diferently for you to understand?!

Of course the cooler is the same because its reference but I was talking about the PCB.

It would be a fucking scam if they all released the same GPU with exactly the same cooling and same PCB.

Of course the cooler is the same because its reference but I was talking about the PCB.

It would be a fucking scam if they all released the same GPU with exactly the same cooling and same PCB.

well...believe it or not, not only does the COOLING SOLUTION is the reference design but a REFERENCE DESIGN PRODUCT as a whole DOES MEAN that it's EXACTLY the REFERENCE PRODUCT DESIGN that was released by AMD therefore they do use ALL THE SAME PCB, CHOCKES, VRM's, MOSFETS etc.. all they do is put a XFX sticker on the fan and sell the product AS IS...what a scam isnt it?...actualy it's not, they ALL do that.