Custom waterloop- IvyBridge - Temperatures pretty high

Go to solution Solved by Sandy_Dandy,

Im just really disappointed by seeing people post their not delidded 3770Ks with voltages much higher than mine but temps even lower... Is it really possible to have that much spread within the same CPU-model? I mean i know about silicone-lottery but they also apply more voltage so...

I tried reseating the CPU block yesterday. The screws are in as much as I can but i noticed that the way that the Swiftech Apogee HD cooler is mounted, I couldnt put the O-rings anywhere as i initially intended to. The screws of the apogee also somehow bulge out after a short distance, which could maybe cause them to lay on he motherboard and preventing more tightening

I know what you mean. Believe it or not, I had the exact same issue as you back in 2013. Got my hands on a 3770k and decided to retire my 2600k, but I quickly saw a huge temperature increase at lower voltages and speeds. In addition I noticed that my water temperature actually got reduced, which was a clear indicator that it wouldn't overclock well at all. I wasn't quite as comfortable with modding at that time as I am today, so I sold the Ivy and rolled back to my dear Sandy 2600k. 

If it had been today the Ivy would've gotten a delid without hesitation. The assembly of those chips are quite horrendous, and RMA is not an option when it's keeping below 85°c with stock cooler at stock speeds. The worst part is just as you describe. I got a friend with a 3770k, and that cpu gets to 4.6GHz with a Noctua NH-U12p, while my H100i couldn't manage 4.5GHz even at PnP @ 2500rpm. 

Be sure to not damage your motherboard by over tightening the block. With it tightened, can you wiggle the block by hand, or is it solid with the mobo?

Could it be something with the pump? Regarding that the GPUs are much cooler...

I know that I could have a cyclone in my reservoir. The temps dont change when i set my pump to max speed

I have the same exact pump, and with two rads and four blocks it gets around at the lowest speed setting(Dial set to 1) without any issues. At that speed my 3960x hottest core runs about 7°c/23°c Idle/Load over water temp, and my GPUs are pretty much the same. 7970 is a couple of degrees shorter, and the 7990 is a few higher vs the CPU.

The fact that the GPU is much cooler just enforces my suspicions. The 780 conducts over three times more energy in less than half the surface area vs the 3770k, which would mean that even if the CPU ran at similar temps as the GPUs, it would still raise a lot of suspicion. If the CPU would act as the GPU, the temps would be closer to the water temps than the GPU temps. 

I'm sorry, but with your temps and description it's very unlikely to be anything but the TIM in the CPU. Ivy can be a real hassle and disappointment without delid... :(

From a thermal dynamic standpoint it sure sounds like bad conductance between the die and the water, and if the TIM is at fault, nothing will solve your problems, beside a delid. It's a risk yes. But it's also the only thing that make or break Ivy OC.

Although, if delid is completely of the table, I would sell the Ivy and get a Sandy 2600 or 2700k instead. Those chips are proper maniacs when it comes to overclocking, especially under (real)water cooling. Slightly worse IPC, but if you can't get your Ivy above 4.4GHz it won't matter, a 5GHz+ Sandy will still be a much better choice.

Im just really disappointed by seeing people post their not delidded 3770Ks with voltages much higher than mine but temps even lower... Is it really possible to have that much spread within the same CPU-model? I mean i know about silicone-lottery but they also apply more voltage so...

I tried reseating the CPU block yesterday. The screws are in as much as I can but i noticed that the way that the Swiftech Apogee HD cooler is mounted, I couldnt put the O-rings anywhere as i initially intended to. The screws of the apogee also somehow bulge out after a short distance, which could maybe cause them to lay on he motherboard and preventing more tightening

I know that I could have a cyclone in my reservoir. The temps dont change when i set my pump to max speed

I know what you mean. Believe it or not, I had the exact same issue as you back in 2013. Got my hands on a 3770k and decided to retire my 2600k, but I quickly saw a huge temperature increase at lower voltages and speeds. In addition I noticed that my water temperature actually got reduced, which was a clear indicator that it wouldn't overclock well at all. I wasn't quite as comfortable with modding at that time as I am today, so I sold the Ivy and rolled back to my dear Sandy 2600k. 

If it had been today the Ivy would've gotten a delid without hesitation. The assembly of those chips are quite horrendous, and RMA is not an option when it's keeping below 85°c with stock cooler at stock speeds. The worst part is just as you describe. I got a friend with a 3770k, and that cpu gets to 4.6GHz with a Noctua NH-U12p, while my H100i couldn't manage 4.5GHz even at PnP @ 2500rpm. 

Be sure to not damage your motherboard by over tightening the block. With it tightened, can you wiggle the block by hand, or is it solid with the mobo?

I have the same exact pump, and with two rads and four blocks it gets around at the lowest speed setting(Dial set to 1) without any issues. At that speed my 3960x hottest core runs about 7°c/23°c Idle/Load over water temp, and my GPUs are pretty much the same. 7970 is a couple of degrees shorter, and the 7990 is a few higher vs the CPU.

The fact that the GPU is much cooler just enforces my suspicions. The 780 conducts over three times more energy in less than half the surface area vs the 3770k, which would mean that even if the CPU ran at similar temps as the GPUs, it would still raise a lot of suspicion. If the CPU would act as the GPU, the temps would be closer to the water temps than the GPU temps. 

I'm sorry, but with your temps and description it's very unlikely to be anything but the TIM in the CPU. Ivy can be a real hassle and disappointment without delid... :(

CPU: i7-3960x @ 5GHz Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene ​RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1866 STORAGE:  WD Green 3TB + Crucial BX100 250GB + 16GB Primocache

GPU: 7990 + 7970 @ 1190c, 1515m Case: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL PSU: AX1200i Monitor: Qnix QX2710 @ 110Hz

Cooling: D5 + X-RES 140CSQ, Supreme HF Cu, EK-FC7970/7990, 10xSP120 QE, RX240 + RX360

It's a long shot but did you forget to take the plastic off the underside of the cpu block?

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

I had the same problem on my GPU. I solved it by replacing the old thermal grease with even more thermal grease. Then I pushed the block firmly onto the GPU before mounting it with the screws. I hope this helps on the CPU.

Rob

i know the woes with the 3770k...

i'm not overclocking and cooling a single 970 and my gpu is maxing at 40°C while my cpu goes up to 55°C(420/45 + 240/30 rads). After serveral resitting and thermal compound changing i just accepted that my 3770k likes it toasty and until i switch to another platform i tell myself to start worrying once the temps go 'unusually high' for my unusually high cpu temps xD

Thankfully even without overclocking there has yet to be another game than football manager 2014 (soccer) to ever even come close to topping out my cpu (lets jsut say simulating all players from all available countries is a cpu intensive task xD)

Thanks so much for all your answers! Even though its somehow still bad xD as long as I can resist the speeed I will stick with what I have right now, if not maybe I'll take the risk of delidding

Its somehow a reliev that its not my fault directly :) Ill just stick with it

i know the woes with the 3770k...

i'm not overclocking and cooling a single 970 and my gpu is maxing at 40°C while my cpu goes up to 55°C(420/45 + 240/30 rads). After serveral resitting and thermal compound changing i just accepted that my 3770k likes it toasty and until i switch to another platform i tell myself to start worrying once the temps go 'unusually high' for my unusually high cpu temps xD

Sadly even without overclocking there has yet to be another game than football manager 2014 (soccer) to ever even come close to topping out my cpu (lets jsut say simulating all players from all available countries is a cpu intensive task xD)

I think I'll have to take a similar approach :)

I think I'll have to take a similar approach :)

I hate to be a pain, but remember that degradation of the CPU is accelerated by high temperatures, elevated voltages and a faster frequency. It's most likely nothing you'll need to worry about, but don't use Intel's specified TJMax as a guideline if you are operating at higher speeds and/or higher voltages, since it's calculated from stock frequency with voltage set to auto.

This is facts, but it's heavily boosted by my personal paranoia ;) Just keep it under 85°c and you'll be golden. If you experience degradation just back it down a few notches :)

CPU: i7-3960x @ 5GHz Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene ​RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1866 STORAGE:  WD Green 3TB + Crucial BX100 250GB + 16GB Primocache

GPU: 7990 + 7970 @ 1190c, 1515m Case: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL PSU: AX1200i Monitor: Qnix QX2710 @ 110Hz

Cooling: D5 + X-RES 140CSQ, Supreme HF Cu, EK-FC7970/7990, 10xSP120 QE, RX240 + RX360