Shopping for Windows

MrSushi

Hello

What should i be aware of and look at when shopping for Windows 8.1 64-bit?

Thank you for replying.

Hello

Thank you for replying.

1. Make sure you hardware has drivers and workarounds. e.g Realtek Audia, motherboard chipset etc from you vendors.

2. That your CPU is 64bit

3. other than that it's good. performance slightly faster than windows 7 and you can upgrade to windows 10 when it launches.

1. Make sure you hardware has drivers and workarounds. e.g Realtek Audia, motherboard chipset etc from you vendors.

2. That your CPU is 64bit

3. other than that it's good. performance slightly faster than windows 7 and you can upgrade to windows 10 when it launches.

will i lost all my data when i upgrade?

Not if you do an upgrade, although it's always strongly suggested to do a clean install whenever installing a new OS. Personally I've never had luck upgrading, so now I just do a clean install from the get go.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Hello

Thank you for replying.

1. Make sure that you're buying Windows 8.1 not 8.0. Otherwise reinstalling is gonna be difficult.
  2. OEM copies come with a DVD, full versions sometimes don't.
  3. Check that your CPU is 64-bit. If you have an Intel Core 2 or newer, or any AMD CPU made after 2001, it will be 64-bit.
  4. I strongly recommend that you back up your data and do a clean install, because in-place upgrades are known to cause problems.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

what fracking4oil and SpeedBird said!

1. Make sure that you're buying Windows 8.1 not 8.0. Otherwise reinstalling is gonna be difficult.
  2. OEM copies come with a DVD, full versions sometimes don't.
  3. Check that your CPU is 64-bit. If you have an Intel Core 2 or newer, or any AMD CPU made after 2001, it will be 64-bit.
  4. I strongly recommend that you back up your data and do a clean install, because in-place upgrades are known to cause problems.

can you explain me difference in OEM and FPP ?

can you explain me difference in OEM and FPP ?

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. Meant for System Builders - small companies who build PCs. You may buy them too, of course, but if you have problems with it you Microsoft won't help you. Tied to the motherboard - not transferrable.

FPP - Full Packaged Product. Meant for average users. Can be used for installing on a PC you built yourself, or for upgrading an older computer. Microsoft will support this completely. For use on only 1 PC, but can be transferred to another one if it's removed from the other one.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. Meant for System Builders - small companies who build PCs. You may buy them too, of course, but if you have problems with it you Microsoft won't help you. Tied to the motherboard - not transferrable.

FPP - Full Packaged Product. Meant for average users. Can be used for installing on a PC you built yourself, or for upgrading an older computer. Microsoft will support this completely. For use on only 1 PC, but can be transferred to another one if it's removed from the other one.

thank you