Virtual Surround with SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 and Realtek ALC892

HI linustechtips,

I just got my Sager NP8671 and it came with SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 software and a built-in Realtek ALC892 sound chip. I was wondering how to setup virtual surround sound for game and movies for my headphones or any stereo output. The type of surround I'm talking about is down mixing from 5.1 or 7.1 to headphones or stereo or 2.1, like what Dolby Headphones does. I searched around on the net about how to set it up with the SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 software, but can't seem to fully understand what's going on. I'm testing with a multi channel test file and can hear sounds from all channel (except subwoofer) when the Surround slider in SoundBlaster is off (which means no down mixing right?, so I shouldn't here anything from surround channels). To wrap up, this is what I think I need to do:

1- Setup sound configuration in game to 5.1

2- Windows sound configuration is stereo

3- In SoundBlaster software, set output to headphones and enable SBX Pro Studio with Surround slider on

4- Profit?

Please confirm and fix what I got wrong in the steps above. If possible please also provide a guide on how to setup.

Thank you guys.

The 5.1/7.1 options are for a full room speaker setup, were you'll be using all the audio ports as separate channels for speaker configs. If you have separate speakers then the Realtek software should be straight forward enough for you to set up.

As for "down sampling" multiple channels to the built in speakers or headphones: DON'T, you'll only lose quality and the surround you seek. I have tried that type of stuff before and it just doesn't help.

Next, check out the Pinned FAQ post, specifically the "Should I get ... virtual surround ...?" Basically you don't need it, but you should hear for yourself.

Hope you enjoy your new notebook though.