Need help with remaining parts for $1000+ Gaming & Editing PC

Kvyg
So I've gotten the main parts of my build already and I need help deciding on the rest. What I'd like is to have a nice balance between silence, good airflow, and decent looks. I tried to pick parts that have a yellow-ish colour to them. 

• I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have a liquid cooler (mostly for aesthetics) for $35 more vs something like a 212evo, or just stock.
  • Is the s340 my best bet, or should I just go with the R4 windowed. I know that the s340 window scratches easily, but the power supply compartment and cable shroud is tempting. 
  • Would the Asus H97-PLUS be a better Mobo?
  • I'm a bit worried about the GPU and it's heat output which is why I'm also thinking about adding or replacing fans in whatever case I'm getting. 
I'm open to any changes or suggestions! (Canadian prices).

EDIT: Not heavy gaming, but I also do some editing. I don't plan on overclocking (or would need to).

So I've gotten the main parts of my build already and I need help deciding on the rest. What I'd like is to have a nice balance between silence, good airflow, and decent looks. I tried to pick parts that have a yellow-ish colour to them. 

• I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have a liquid cooler (mostly for aesthetics) for $35 more vs something like a 212evo, or just stock.
  • Is the s340 my best bet, or should I just go with the R4 windowed. I know that the s340 window scratches easily, but the power supply compartment and cable shroud is tempting. 
  • I'm a bit worried about the GPU and it's heat output which is why I'm also thinking about adding or replacing fans in whatever case I'm getting. 

Gaming?

Gaming?

Not heavy gaming, and some editing. I don't plan on overclocking

Yoiull need a better psu. The system uses 500w and youve got 600w. At least get 750W

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

Yoiull need a better psu. The system uses 500w and youve got 600w. At least get 750W

Yeah I've realized. I'm trying to sell the one I have currently and look out for a better one.

Yeah I've realized. I'm trying to sell the one I have currently and look out for a better one.

The Xeon looks pretty for editing and servers, but not for gaming. Decide which you want more

The Xeon looks pretty for editing and servers, but not for gaming. Decide which you want more

I've already purchased the Xeon, and I believe it's enough for all the games I play (mostly lower end like League and CS:Go with the occasional BF and etc)

EDIT: Not heavy gaming, but I also do some editing. I don't plan on overclocking (or would need to).

I would go with an air cpu cooler. Intel stock will do a decent job. Might be on the loud side as full load is approached. The Hyper 212 EVO would do a good job inexpensively. But it doesn't do anything for the build's looks and Vengeance memory modules would interfere with the coolers nominal configuration if another two modules were ever added. NH-U12S has no memory issues and will be very quiet. Of course the Noctua fan colors do nothing to enhance most builds.

Both nice cases. Pick the one you like best.

My personal preference is for Asus. I like the BIOS and utilities. But either motherboard is a good choice.

Good air flow will keep things reasonably cool. I would start with the stock fans. Fans are easily added should it prove necessary.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I would go with an air cpu cooler. Intel stock will do a decent job. Might be on the loud side as full load is approached. The Hyper 212 EVO would do a good job inexpensively. But it doesn't do anything for the build's looks and Vengeance memory modules would interfere with the coolers nominal configuration if another two modules were ever added. NH-U12S has no memory issues and will be very quiet. Of course the Noctua fan colors do nothing to enhance most builds.

Both nice cases. Pick the one you like best.

My personal preference is for Asus. I like the BIOS and utilities. But either motherboard is a good choice.

Good air flow will keep things reasonably cool. I would start with the stock fans. Fans are easily added should it prove necessary.

Thanks for the tips. Are air coolers generally more efficient and quiet than liquid coolers? What would you recommend that would go well with the overall look? For the RAM, I guess I could pay ~$10 more for the low profile versions. 

Thanks for the tips. Are air coolers generally more efficient and quiet than liquid coolers? What would you recommend that would go well with the overall look? For the RAM, I guess I could pay ~$10 more for the low profile versions. 

Very generally air coolers are quieter than AIO. At higher thermal loads they become loud and cannot do as good a job as AIO. In non-overclocking builds I prefer air coolers. Not only for how quiet they can be but also because they only parts that can fail are the fans and fans are easily replaced.

A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory and Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory would be reasonable memory choices if you decide to go that way.

BTW, is there a reason for picking the 840 EVO ssd instead of the 850 EVO?

Very generally air coolers are quieter than AIO. At higher thermal loads they become loud and cannot do as good a job as AIO. In non-overclocking builds I prefer air coolers. Not only for how quiet they can be but also because they only parts that can fail are the fans and fans are easily replaced.

A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory and Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory would be reasonable memory choices if you decide to go that way.

BTW, is there a reason for picking the 840 EVO ssd instead of the 850 EVO?

Yeah.. I would want to get the 212evo, but it wouldn't really look nice imo.

Oops, I meant to choose the 850 Evo or MX100. The MX100 is cheaper by about 20$+ dollars so I might be going with that.

For the RAM, the first one I'd consider, but the second one is CAS10 and I've heard I should be going for a minimum of 1600 cas9.

How are these?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbsr(1x8)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbsr(2x4)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls8g3d1609es2lx0

Yeah.. I would want to get the 212evo, but it wouldn't really look nice imo.

Oops, I meant to choose the 850 Evo or MX100. The MX100 is cheaper by about 20$+ dollars so I might be going with that.

For the RAM, the first one I'd consider, but the second one is CAS10 and I've heard I should be going for a minimum of 1600 cas9.

How are these?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbsr(1x8)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl9d8gbsr(2x4)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls8g3d1609es2lx0

The second memory kit I linked is DDR3-1866, so CAS 10 is fine. The higher speed offsets the higher CAS.

A 2x4GB kit will run dual channel which offers 5% - 15% performance improvement over single channel. I would suggest getting a 2x4GB kit.

Snipers are nice memory. They are 42mm tall which would require raising the Hyper 212 EVO fan ~4mm if a module was inserted into the first memory slot.

The second memory kit I linked is DDR3-1866, so CAS 10 is fine. The higher speed offsets the higher CAS.

A 2x4GB kit will run dual channel which offers 5% - 15% performance improvement over single channel. I would suggest getting a 2x4GB kit.

Snipers are nice memory. They are 42mm tall which would require raising the Hyper 212 EVO fan ~4mm if a module was inserted into the first memory slot.

How would you raise the fan on the 212 Evo? 

I'll probably be considering one of these then:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cml8gx3m2a1600c9

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-memory-ax3u1600w4g9db

How would you raise the fan on the 212 Evo? 

I'll probably be considering one of these then:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cml8gx3m2a1600c9

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-memory-ax3u1600w4g9db

The fan is easily raised. One just clips it to the fins in an appropriate location.

Either memory kit is good.