How does this work?

Okay so basically I have a hyper 212 EVO installed with a back bracket and I'm planning on getting a nepton 140XL and I was wondering if I need to install the motherboard bracket that comes with the Nepton or can I keep the hyper 212 EVO one on?

Use the one that comes with the Nepton.

I would presume that you'll need the new bracket. It depends if there is a standard, (i'm quite sure there is, and the screw types/sockets on the nepton. 

You may as well use the new one, it was designed for it. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I would presume that you'll need the new bracket. It depends if there is a standard, (i'm quite sure there is, and the screw types/sockets on the nepton. 

You may as well use the new one, it was designed for it. 

If the screw hole size and threadings are the same, you can use the old backplate.

Use the one that comes with the Nepton.

The brackets look exactly the same..

Could someone check/tell me how to check if they are the same?

As useless as they may sound....you could always just try. As long as you don't put too much force on anything you won't hurt it. Could you post a picture of the new brackets? I have the Evo and maybe I could help by comparing them. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The brackets look exactly the same..

Could someone check/tell me how to check if they are the same?

I wasn't able to find anything official on in, by searching for a few mins. 

But I think that it goes by socket. If you have a cooler + mount that will fit a certain socket, then any that share that mounting option (ie 1150) should also fit. 

As useless as they may sound....you could always just try. As long as you don't put too much force on anything you won't hurt it. Could you post a picture of the new brackets? I have the Evo and maybe I could help by comparing them. :)

Also this ^^^ 

It wont do you any harm just to try :) 

I don't have the 140XL, I am planning on saving up for it.

I don't have the 140XL, I am planning on saving up for it.

I just looked at the backplate for the cooler. I doubt you will get away with using the backplate you have now.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I just looked at the backplate for the cooler. I doubt you will get away with using the backplate you have now.

How? :(

Trying to install the backplate was the second most annoying thing about my build..

How? :(

Trying to install the backplate was the second most annoying thing about my build..

I don't think it will work because of the other pieces that attach to the backplate. For example, this from the Hyper:

e4puGcx.jpg

And this from the Nepton:

XG3G8wn.jpg

I know you won't use the bit from above for the Hyper for your new backplate, what I'm trying to say is that I think they, the backplates, were designed differently for the pieces I circled and so the holes where the screws pop in will not fit correctly.

So should I just try it first?

As installing the backplate is the most annoying part of building for me and I would rather avoid it.

I agree with @Albatross. Given the difference in mounting mechanism, I doubt it will work, but the only way to know for sure is it someone else tests it for you or you test yourself. It's probably not compatible anyway, so nothing lost by testing. xD

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

I agree with @Albatross. Given the difference in mounting mechanism, I doubt it will work, but the only way to know for sure is it someone else tests it for you or you test yourself. It's probably not compatible anyway, so nothing lost by testing. xD

Okay since it seems like I will need to reinstall, what is the best way to install the backplate without the motherboard sliding everywhere or the backplate constantly falling off?

Okay since it seems like I will need to reinstall, what is the best way to install the backplate without the motherboard sliding everywhere or the backplate constantly falling off?

The same way you got the original one on...?

The Nepton's screws get locked in by plastic tabs, so just put the backplate on the motherboard with the screws in, put the whole thing on the mobo box (or other non-static surface) and mount the block.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

So should I just try it first?

As installing the backplate is the most annoying part of building for me and I would rather avoid it.

If you really don't want to switch out the backplates, try it. But I think that even if they did "fit" together, you should use the new backplate as it may hold the cooler better than the Hyper one/old one.

As for how, if you don't mind taking the motherboard outside of the case, lie it atop your motherboard box and work on it that way. Or if your case allows it, open the back panel and front panel and work that way. Probably not the best method if your case is small and or cramped, but worth mentioning either way.

If you really don't want to switch out the backplates, try it. But I think that even if they did "fit" together, you should use the new backplate as it may hold the cooler better than the Hyper one/old one.

As for how, if you don't mind taking the motherboard outside of the case, lie it atop your motherboard box and work on it that way. Or if your case allows it, open the back panel and front panel and work that way. Probably not the best method if your case is small and or cramped, but worth mentioning either way.

Well currently I have a really bad case so when I get the Corsair 350D, that might be an option.

Well currently I have a really bad case so when I get the Corsair 350D, that might be an option.

With that case in mind, then the best option would be to remove and build on your mobo box.