5820K OC Closed loop w/ possible custom future

Hey guys, new build I am planning on constructing in a few months will be powered by an i7-5820K that I have a hope to water cool. I have read the pinned posts and I will continue reading and researching while replying to this.

Some minor specs first:

CPU: i7-5820k (actually debating on going 5930k for PCI lanes but that is as of yet a no)

CASE: Corsair 780T

MOBO: ASUS X99 Deluxe
GPU: Dual SLI GTX 970s (maybe 980s, but also doubtful as of yet)

PSU: 1000w

I figured most brands wouldn't matter yet and I currently don't have those figured out yet but I'll update as it comes along. I should also mention fan noise DOES NOT bother me I usually use my headset anyways or have some sort of audio playing so I wouldn't notice it anyways. My current rig has a CM Jetflow 120 blowing on my GPU and it's quite loud but nothing near my laptop which is just an HP Pavilion dv6.

Originally, I was going to go with an H110 but then thought about possibly upgrading to a newer FULL system liquid cooled setup, mainly for the fun of building something custom and making it mine but also achieving better temps. So I looked at the Swiftech H240-X since it's, I suppose you could say, modular and supports upgrading by adding new parts to the loop.

I was also looking at the H110i GT and saw the recall going on for it but since that was caused by extreme cold, and since I'm not building this for a few months so the stupid cold Missouri weather wouldn't be a factor anyways, I wasn't worried about it, and other than it not being able to be expanded like the Swiftech, I think it would cool the CPU greatly, and I've used Corsair Link before and REALLY like it.

So for the 5820K (or 5930k) with slight overclock to 4.0-4.2 ish overclock, would this be a good idea per-say? I feel it'd be better to go with a 280mm rad that can be upgraded/expanded rather than have to buy completely different systems when I decide to upgrade if I do.

If I upgrade I was thinking of adding another rad in, possibly a 140mm to the rear of the case for extra cooling or another 280mm rad but mounted at the front of the case, as well as adding waterblocks to the 970's (or 980s) and if I got really bored, or had some extra money lying around which is very unlikely haha, maybe some blocks on my HDDs which I'll have on a Raid 10 setup but I didn't even know they existed till I read the pinned post by Gmac since I've yet to see anyone else build a rig with them, so there's a good chance I won't do them but it was a cool thought.

Also, since I know static pressure fans (such as the SP Corsair fans) are best for a radiator, and since I plan on using the white 780T case I was going to go with a stormtrooper look, so I was thinking about replacing the stock fans with some static pressure LED fans if they exist. If not then maybe something with white trim like the Corsair fans with the color rings that can be changed out.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance ladies and gents, any and all input is appreciated.

Stay gold,

-Zel

Mainframe:// SIVA

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM G.Skill Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz 16Gb
  • GPU MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
  • Case Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition
  • Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB / 1x WD Black 3TB
  • PSU EVGA Supernova 1000x
  • Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
  • Displays Acer Predator x34 Ultrawide, LG 2558UM-P
  • Audio Schitt Audio Asgard 2 AMP, Bifrost Multibit DAC, Sennheiser HD600, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Audio Technica AT2035
  • Peripherals Corsair K70 LUX, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Orbweaver, Thrustmaster T16000m x2 HOTAS
  • Extra Stuff Clutch Chairs Gear Series Elgato HD60 Pro, Elgato Streamdeck, Logitech c920 Webcam, Custom Built acoustic altering backboard.

snip

I currently have a 5930K using a CM Nepton 240M. I had it overclocked for a while and it sat at about 29-31C Idle at 4GHz. I was actually looking at the H110i GT myself. I originally used an H110 but the unit had some strange gurgling going on so I returned it out of concern. I have been loving this unit. I do have it in push/pull though. 

But anyway, I'm sure the H110i GT would do you just fine for a 5820K and I would recommend the 5930K if you want to do SLI/Crossfire in the future. Especially SLI.

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

I currently have a 5930K using a CM Nepton 240M. I had it overclocked for a while and it sat at about 29-31C Idle at 4GHz. I was actually looking at the H110i GT myself. I originally used an H110 but the unit had some strange gurgling going on so I returned it out of concern. I have been loving this unit. I do have it in push/pull though. 

But anyway, I'm sure the H110i GT would do you just fine for a 5820K and I would recommend the 5930K if you want to do SLI/Crossfire in the future. Especially SLI.

That's why I was thinking it. A 5820k would work just fine for Dual SLI which I plan on going with right away as well as be cheaper. I never thought about the things CM or NZXT have, gonna go look at that.

Btw, what board are you running if I may ask?

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Audio Schitt Audio Asgard 2 AMP, Bifrost Multibit DAC, Sennheiser HD600, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Audio Technica AT2035
  • Peripherals Corsair K70 LUX, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Orbweaver, Thrustmaster T16000m x2 HOTAS
  • Extra Stuff Clutch Chairs Gear Series Elgato HD60 Pro, Elgato Streamdeck, Logitech c920 Webcam, Custom Built acoustic altering backboard.

That's why I was thinking it. A 5820k would work just fine for Dual SLI which I plan on going with right away as well as be cheaper. I never thought about the things CM or NZXT have, gonna go look at that.

Btw, what board are you running if I may ask?

I am currently running the Asus Rampage V Extreme. Love the board. Hated the price.

X99 WhoKnowsAnymore
CPU: Intel i7 5930K | Motherboard: MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | 

I had a 5820k in my system and upgraded to a 5930k since I went 3 way SLI. I was using a Asus X99 Pro with my 5820k and a X99 with my 5930k. I went with a Kraken X61. My 5930k is OCed to 4.6 GHz and runs at 29 degrees C and maxes out on 65 C. My 5820k and X99 Pro were moved to my home media PC build now and I put on a Logisys Gamer Storm MC6002GS in it which honestly surprised me since it cooled the 5820k within 5 degrees of the X61.

Honestly, I think it would have been smarter to just start with the heat sink fan CPU cooler and then upgraded to a custom loop when I was ready.  

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

I had a 5820k in my system and upgraded to a 5930k since I went 3 way SLI. I was using a Asus X99 Pro with my 5820k and a X99 with my 5930k. I went with a Kraken X61. My 5930k is OCed to 4.6 GHz and runs at 29 degrees C and maxes out on 65 C. My 5820k and X99 Pro were moved to my home media PC build now and I put on a Logisys Gamer Storm MC6002GS in it which honestly surprised me since it cooled the 5820k within 5 degrees of the X61.

Honestly, I think it would have been smarter to just start with the heat sink fan CPU cooler and then upgraded to a custom loop when I was ready.  

How are those $1500 980's treating you? I'd assume pretty epicly? 

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

I am very happy with them. In all honesty, I think 2 way SLI with 980s ( or even 970s) would have been more than enough...but I am extremely satisfied about how my current rig turned out. Seems like you have a pretty epic build planned as well!

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

As soon as the money comes I will make a build thread of it and share all progress! Maybe even a time-lapse video if I can nab my buddies GoPro haha. 

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen!

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

When it came to the led fans with static pressure i went with aerocool 120mm fans.. They have very nice build quality and looks with fully braided cords and white leDs. I have a very similar build to yours and would suggest not wasting your money on the 5830k just for the extra pci lanes