Downloading DRAM: Well, can you?

JH2468
Go to solution Solved by thekeemo,

Downloading more ram essentially let's you use your hard drive as ram which is really slow

So, I was checking out the forum thread about funny stories with technologically unadvanced people. Within which members were tasked with describing any experience with a person and their technology where a face-palm was warranted.

Some were funny but what brings me here today is an experience all my own. While reading through the different stories someone was telling how funny it was that people thought they could download DRAM. But then another commenter quoted that and said: "... But you can!" and left this link: http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

Now, it looks completely fake to me. There was no validation I could find for it other than thousands of followers on Twitter.  Other commenters on this thread said things like: "what? that's amazing, I need to tell some people!" And others were like: "downloading RAM? That's laughable." Others endorsed both seemingly contradicting statements.

I decided to see if I could find any explanation. I simply typed into google: "downloading DRAM Linus" and got this video:

At around 1:10 he mentions that a RAM disk "allows you to use software to take ram, which is normally not accessible as a drive letter and turn it into hyper ridiculous fast storage" Which is obviously an expansion of the capacity the RAM could perform, but does it really act as your RAM if you could remove all the hard RAM sticks you have?(such as the video on the download free RAM web page purports) Well, I don't Know...

So, I'm confused. Can you or Can't you download RAM? Is it downloading the software to make a ram disk and not actually downloading DRAM? Is there something else going on? What is actually happening if anything at all? Is that just a scam website or satire like theonion.com? I am about to spend up to thousands of dollars on DRAM for an editing station, would be good to know if that was something that was necessary, or what the difference was if in fact you can just download it.

Can someone provide a definitive and informed/explanatory answer?

No it's not possible. A ramdisk is a virtual harddrive that is stored in the physical ram that's already in your computer.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Downloading more ram essentially let's you use your hard drive as ram which is really slow

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

-snip-

Can someone provide a definitive and informed/explanatory answer?

nope, sorry but you misunderstood. the whole point is to use your ram as a super fast hard drive. there is no way to download more ram, but instead its using your ram as a hard drive. because ram is very quick compared to hard drives. 

No it's not possible. A ramdisk is a virtual harddrive that is stored in the physical ram that's already in your computer.

No. You can not download hardware.

I really didn't feel like the RAM disk was the same, but it was the closest to downloading something to effect RAM than I could find. Can someone provide a definitive and informed/explanatory answer?

So, what is it this 'downloadmoreram' site is talking about then? You guys think it is a scam site then? Or you don't know what that site is talking about? Or what? What is the idea you think that it has thousands of twitter followers for? Can someone EXPLAIN the situation?! Any answers without explanations or some kind of context simply makes me think you haven't even tried to check it but rather just applied what you have always believed to be the case. How do you know you can not download software that allows for an expansion of capacity? What makes you believe THAT is the fact. I am sorry for my ignorance but I can not take simple claims of yes or no to be an answer. It tries but it is not enough for me.

Can anyone with some expertise on hardware talk about his situation? How is it possible to fool so many people one way or the other? It makes me think there is a situation that few people understand and that is where these claims come from. All be the claims wrong, is it not possible there is a correct situation from which someone extrapolated this wrong conclusion of being able to download DRAM?

I'm not trying to argue, I am trying to feel resolved in the answer you guys gave, but I can not without explanation. And, to youI am not a moron, obviously you can not download hardware. Did you even look at the source I referenced? It clearly doesn't talk about downloading hardware. It talks about downloading software that replaces, in part or entirely, your RAM sticks/hardware.

No, I didn't misunderstand. I tried to find anything different from that website that stated anything about "downloading" in reference to DRAM. The RAM disk, as it sensibly would, came up. I was just trying to show that I did try and research it. I tried to find an answer and yes, I couldn't find anything. Like I said, the website seemed fake. But I am no expert, and woah am I to listen to myself instead of keeping my mind open to the possibilities of the world I am no expert of. Imagine a person laughing at the idea of an automobile because all they ever knew were horses. I aim to be humble and to attempt to gather it all and assess what is and what is not. If you would like to help me with this task, your effort is greatly appreciated, for those of you who don't please stop getting in the way of this discussion, thank you.

So, that's all this is then? Thank you for providing your info!

I really didn't feel like the RAM disk was the same, but it was the closest to downloading something to effect RAM than I could find. Can someone provide a definitive and informed/explanatory answer?

So, what is it this 'downloadmoreram' site is talking about then? You guys think it is a scam site then? Or you don't know what that site is talking about? Or what? What is the idea you think that it has thousands of twitter followers for? Can someone EXPLAIN the situation?! Any answers without explanations or some kind of context simply makes me think you haven't even tried to check it but rather just applied what you have always believed to be the case. How do you know you can not download software that allows for an expansion of capacity? What makes you believe THAT is the fact. I am sorry for my ignorance but I can not take simple claims of yes or no to be an answer. It tries but it is not enough for me.

Can anyone with some expertise on hardware talk about his situation? How is it possible to fool so many people one way or the other? It makes me think there is a situation that few people understand and that is where these claims come from. All be the claims wrong, is it not possible there is a correct situation from which someone extrapolated this wrong conclusion of being able to download DRAM?

I'm not trying to argue, I am trying to feel resolved in the answer you guys gave, but I can not without explanation. And, to youI am not a moron, obviously you can not download hardware. Did you even look at the source I referenced? It clearly doesn't talk about downloading hardware. It talks about downloading software that replaces, in part or entirely, your RAM sticks/hardware.

No, I didn't misunderstand. I tried to find anything different from that website that stated anything about "downloading" in reference to DRAM. The RAM disk, as it sensibly would, came up. I was just trying to show that I did try and research it. I tried to find an answer and yes, I couldn't find anything. Like I said, the website seemed fake. But I am no expert, and woah am I to listen to myself instead of keeping my mind open to the possibilities of the world I am no expert of. Imagine a person laughing at the idea of an automobile because all they ever knew were horses. I aim to be humble and to attempt to gather it all and assess what is and what is not. If you would like to help me with this task, your effort is greatly appreciated, for those of you who don't please stop getting in the way of this discussion, thank you.

The website is a satire site (a joke) which is why its all marked down to FREE, and the phone numbers are not real.

Your memory modules, the cells on them are cut out of giant wafers, and each cell has a certain number of interconnects. It's an IC much like your CPU. In fact think of a CPU, you cannot use software to increase the number of cores you have, but you can increase the frequency to make the capacity you do have, faster (overclocking). Yes you can make a HDD act as RAM, which is called virtual memory - this is what your Pagefile essentially does in Windows.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

So, that's all this is then? Thank you for providing your info!

He's talking about virtual ram (page file), you don't download that, it's already enabled by default in modern windows OS's 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T