SearchFilterHost.exe is eating up my RAM

HackerCow
Go to solution Solved by insayan,

Open up services and change the startup type of windows search (WSearch) to manual or disabled, this should prevent windows from starting searchfilterhost.exe. This won't affect anything unless you use the search function frequently.

Hey Guys!

I have a very bizarre problem here which i haven't been able to solve for a couple of months now, so I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

So basically my computer had been running very slow and sometimes even crashing lately, so I wondered what was going on. I investigated a bit and found out a process called SearchFilterHost.exe is using up all of my RAM (as seen in the screenshot below).

SkNxHF4.png

(I have 18GB of RAM)

I researched a little about that process and came to find that it's used for indexing hard drives. I have one 3TB and one 2TB harddrive aswell as a 200GB SSD, so I see why indexing could take a little time and RAM. The problem is that it doesn't seem to care about other processes or even the physical limitations of my computer, so it happened a few times that Windows just displayed an alert saying "Your computer doesn't have enough RAM" and shut itself down.

I disabled all locations in the indexing settings already and it's still appearing from time to time. 

Anyways, I hope someone can find a solution to this very annoying problem!

Thanks in advance for answers.

Rebuild your search index. If you need help with that, ask and I can go get instructions.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Open up services and change the startup type of windows search (WSearch) to manual or disabled, this should prevent windows from starting searchfilterhost.exe. This won't affect anything unless you use the search function frequently.

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

That process name doesn't sound familiar to me, have you tried to kill the process as suggested above?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Tried killing the process?

I have tried killing the process, in fact the only way to get rid of it is to spam the "kill process" button and hope it goes away (it reopens itself after you kill it and "gives up" after a few tries). 

I tried that, I'll see if that makes it any better. Thanks for the suggestion!

That seemed to fix it (I had to set it to "disabled" though). Thank you!