Which Noctua Fans to Buy?

GhostDoll GodSlayer
Go to solution Solved by martlart,

The three models you should pay attention to are the NF-F12, NF-S12A, and NF-A14. They will have either PWM (pwm controlled), FLX (higher speed, voltage control), or ULN (lower speed, voltage control). The NF-F12 is only available as PWM.

Always go for the 140mm version if possible, as it will move the same amount of air at a lower speed. If 140mm doesn't fit, and you have unrestricted airflow, go for the NF-S12A. If 140mm doesn't fit, and it has to push through a heatsink, radiator, drive cage etc. then go for the NF-F12. The fans come with low noise adaptors, so you don't have to go for the low speed variant if you won't use a fan controller or mobo headers and want it to be silent.

Newer motherboards have pretty good fan control, so I would go for the PWM version and make silent fan profiles. It's possible that you can even turn off some fans under low load.

I'd recommend having the rear fan as an intake to create positive pressure, and only exhaust through the radiator at the top. Also, see if you can remove your drive cages by using 5.25" to 3.5" adaptors and place your drives in the 5.25" bays to create better and more silent airflow. I've seen many pics of people leaving empty drive cages in their computers and that just doesn't make any sense.

So I'm thinking of buying new Noctua Fans for my PC case and I'm getting a headache figuring out which to buy.

There's 120mm and 140mm and then like 3 different models for each size.

Size isn't a problem for my PC, my case accommodates 120/140mm.

As for placement they're going to be 2 top mounted (radiatior), 1 rear, and 2 front. 

I specifically want the most quiet fans.

I don't know much about sizes/types so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Any recommendations on a specific model? Price isn't an issue.

Thanks!

PS If certain models are better in different positions please note!

NF-F12s for radiators 

NF-S12s for non-radiators (or NF-A14)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

NFF12 FLX for the radiator, extremely quiet and are static pressure optimized.

The three models you should pay attention to are the NF-F12, NF-S12A, and NF-A14. They will have either PWM (pwm controlled), FLX (higher speed, voltage control), or ULN (lower speed, voltage control). The NF-F12 is only available as PWM.

Always go for the 140mm version if possible, as it will move the same amount of air at a lower speed. If 140mm doesn't fit, and you have unrestricted airflow, go for the NF-S12A. If 140mm doesn't fit, and it has to push through a heatsink, radiator, drive cage etc. then go for the NF-F12. The fans come with low noise adaptors, so you don't have to go for the low speed variant if you won't use a fan controller or mobo headers and want it to be silent.

Newer motherboards have pretty good fan control, so I would go for the PWM version and make silent fan profiles. It's possible that you can even turn off some fans under low load.

I'd recommend having the rear fan as an intake to create positive pressure, and only exhaust through the radiator at the top. Also, see if you can remove your drive cages by using 5.25" to 3.5" adaptors and place your drives in the 5.25" bays to create better and more silent airflow. I've seen many pics of people leaving empty drive cages in their computers and that just doesn't make any sense.

For the NF-A14 PWMs would you recommend the old color versions or the newer 2000/3000 rpm? 

If you have a 120mm air cooler you can try to put the NF-P14r on it. That fan is 140mm, but is round and has 120mm mounting holes.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

For the NF-A14 PWMs would you recommend the old color versions or the newer 2000/3000 rpm? 

You can usually get Noctua fans to spin pretty slowly, so the high rpm of the industrial ppc fans shouldn't be that much of a problem. It depends on how much you care about aesthetics, as you shouldn't be running them at max rpm anyway.

If you're going to use 120mm fans on your radiator, you should take a look at the new EKWB Vardar fans. They're probably some of the best static pressure fans currently available.

If you have a 120mm air cooler you can try to put the NF-P14r on it. That fan is 140mm, but is round and has 120mm mounting holes.

I'd recommend going for the NF-A15 instead because of the newer design. But you shouldn't really go for oversized fans on a radiator as it will leak a bit of the air and create less pressure. Ideally you want a perfect seal between the fan and the radiator. The oversized fans wouldn't fit anyway as he/she will be using a dual fan radiator.